Presentation

Say hello and shake our hands

Moderators: cwbyrvr, Nachos

sadsmile123

Presentation

Post by sadsmile123 » Tue Mar 28, 6:59 2017

Hello everyone!

my username is "sadsmile123". I'm a university student in English and Italian literature. I like literature, philosophy, and politics, but I don't like any political party in particular (the left despises economic thinking, the right despises people). My favourite colours are blue and yellow. I love cats, two of which my family owns, but I don't have anything against dogs, either. I like German food (very unpopular...). I will neither disclose my real name nor my sex/gender, as I am happy with the anonymity of the internet (the same holds true for the question relating to my pants, although they are light blue skinny jeans if you find that relevant).

Nice to meet you all!

sadsmile123

Re: Presentation

Post by sadsmile123 » Tue Mar 28, 7:30 2017

Oh! I forgot! I have found Spacefem.com simply through a quick Google search on feminist issues, and I have read the FAQs ;)

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Tue Mar 28, 8:04 2017

Welcome aboard!
sadsmile123 wrote: I like German food (very unpopular...)

I dunno about unpopular... I only spent a week or so in central/southern Germany and next to all the processed American food one finds in many restaurants, a lot of the more natural food I had in Germany tasted amazing. The jaegerschnitzel with mushroom gravy and potatoes (bratkartoffeln?) is some of the best food I've ever had! Flammkuchen is magically delicious. The obatzda was pretty awesome, too, though I regret looking up the recipe. I could go on... (I speak ZERO German, but I remembered those, they were that good). Although maybe all that goodness is to make up to for those disgusting weird gelatin meat/olive loaves. i... just... no. That stuff was just too much for me. :puke:

If you were to recommend a full-course German meal to a foreigner, what would it be?
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Mar 28, 8:45 2017

mmm curryfries.

Would you prefer they/them or ze/zir or some other nongendered pronoun?
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Tue Mar 28, 12:07 2017

Welcome to the spacefem forums!

Which German food in particular do you like best?
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

sadsmile123

Post by sadsmile123 » Tue Mar 28, 12:23 2017

Hi DarkOne! Hi Nachos!
Thank you for welcoming me! You can hardly find any German restaurant in a non-German-speaking country. Probably, that is because of hefty food like the virtually unlimited variations of sausages, at the dismay of many vegetarians, and the cabbage-based side-dishes like Sauerkraut, which people avoid in order not to upset the stomach. Although they are originally from Austria, Schnitzel are also very popular as you said (German principalities were reigned by the Austrian crown for a long period of time influencing each other's habits). Although I like all these main dishes, certainly the best German food should be found in a bakery: Zimtsterne, Stollen, Kirschjockel... They often use cinnamon and I think also a lot of butter: very unhealthy...

Hi Rowan!
You would like you to address me with "they/them" if it's ok with you (I'll add this info to my homepage here). I hope I'll avoid any faux pas, myself. Cheers!

sadsmile123

Post by sadsmile123 » Tue Mar 28, 12:40 2017

By the way, I forgot to say that my favourite food is probably "Kohlroulade". You should try it. And yes, it is made with cabbage, too.

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Mar 28, 22:27 2017

There are plenty of good German restaurants in the midwest in the US. Heavy German populations. :) There's one here that does a good hasenpfeffer & makes their own sausages in house.

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Thu Apr 6, 15:28 2017

I've had a vegetarian schnitzel at a place near me. It was fantastic. I think it was actually a Bavarian place though.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

sadsmile123

Post by sadsmile123 » Mon Apr 17, 7:40 2017

Yes, Schnitzel are great! There are tasty ones made with soya beans. Don't get me wrong, Schnitzel are popular in Germany. Just don't tell an Austrian that Schnitzel are German. By the way, being south-east of Germany, Bavaria is the federal state most close to Austria, but it is also the most independent state. They are the only federal state with an own party (CSU) represented in the German Bundestag (their Parliament). They have a funny accent, too.

lexiewalt

Post by lexiewalt » Tue Apr 18, 5:37 2017

Hi SadSmile123 - welcome to the boards. I seem to remember German restaurants in Australia when I was there - there were some towns with fairly large German (or ex-German) populations - can't remember the names of the towns (I'll google them). Lex x

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Thu Apr 20, 11:39 2017

I am lucky then I guess because I live in Germany! However as a non pork-eater and someone who also does not like pickled foods much, I don't partake too much in the cuisine here.

I've had Kohlrouladen (made with beef) though and it was yummy! It's my grandma's favourite dish!

I think my favourite German food though is the bread! I miss it when I'm not there!

rowan

Post by rowan » Thu Apr 20, 13:11 2017

curry fries, Nachos. curry fries. I STILL WANT THEM. From that very specific place. :drool:

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Fri Apr 28, 4:42 2017

rowan wrote:curry fries, Nachos. curry fries. I STILL WANT THEM. From that very specific place. :drool:
Blech, you can have them then ;) I don't eat tomatoes :P

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Fri Apr 28, 6:04 2017

I grew up with an excellent German restaurant nearby. It helped that I lived near a military base with a long tradition of soldiers coming back from deployment in Germany. I could never grow to love sauerkraut, regretfully, but I always loved schnitzel and grew to love the variety of sausage.

I'm a quarter German, incidentally. I have fond Christmas memories of stollen and German pfeffernusse.

rowan

Post by rowan » Sat Apr 29, 16:11 2017

But Nachos those ones had all kinds of different sauces, the curry was on the fries not in the sauce! Didn't I tell you about them? The kiosk was in that one square...uh... by those churchy things... ok that prob doesn't narrow it down at all. *has described every town in Germany probably*

What other German things should I try if I get a chance to visit again?

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Sun Apr 30, 17:28 2017

rowan wrote:But Nachos those ones had all kinds of different sauces, the curry was on the fries not in the sauce! Didn't I tell you about them? The kiosk was in that one square...uh... by those churchy things... ok that prob doesn't narrow it down at all. *has described every town in Germany probably*

What other German things should I try if I get a chance to visit again?
Ummm, now I'm confused by where you got them! Were you with me at the time?

I really like Mohnplunder every now and then (https://kamps.de/backstube/produkte/feingebaeck)

rowan

Post by rowan » Sun Apr 30, 18:56 2017

:drool:

I don't think you were with me I went like three times though? I thought you told me about them? Ok now I have to go look up...