New member Hi :)

Say hello and shake our hands

Moderators: cwbyrvr, Nachos

Yorkshirebear

New member Hi :)

Post by Yorkshirebear » Sun May 28, 15:06 2017

Literally no idea how to start these and first forums post ever so I'm stealing this from the main post

Your username, nicknames, how to pronounce it: To be fair call me what ever you like I really don't mind, username is YorkshireBear, but if you really want Bear is fine, or if you want to get super personal my names Dan :)
Occupation/Potential Occupation: Mobile Tent Erector (Yes its an actual job, look it up its pretty cool. Imagine festival tents that's what i put up :) )
Educational Status: Finished? Not sure what to put here. Never attended Uni if that's what i put?
Notable Hobbies: Plenty to be fair - Gaming, Rock climbing, Rugby I also do like a good game of chess ?
Favorite Website/Blog: Don't really have a favorite just trawl them all when I can :)
Favorite color: Has to be Midnight Blue
Favorite animal: Tricky one because I love animals but have to say either a Jaguar or a platypus (just because their so odd)
Favorite food: Defiantly Sushi any and all types, spent some time in Japan and it was beautiful
If you are wearing pants, please describe them: Not sure if using American English if so just some gray shorts. If your using British English then Gray boxers haha :)
What brought you to spacefem/how'd you find us? - So this is a odd one so hear me out. Been dating my significant other for over a year now and she is a feminist and social activist. I on the other hand come from a very working class background with no idea what any of this lot means. We have opposing views on certain subjects but in the end we find mid ground. My main point coming here is so I stop bothering her with all of my questions all the time basically. So I googled a few questions I had and 9/10 times ended up on a post on this site so thought might as well sign up and if I do have questions or want to ask further then I can :). In a nutshell I'm here to be taught about things without being talked down to? Like by all means if what I say or do is wrong tell me but try to explain why as well then it helps.
Did you find the FAQ link? - Yeah nice and easy :)

Right okay feeling like this is some sort of dating site sign up now haha and I hate talking about myself so this was "fun" haha :)
So Hi to you all I'm Dan and I look forward to talking to you all and getting to learn stuff to stop bothering my partner haha :)
I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not. - Neil Gaiman

melsbells

Re: New member Hi :)

Post by melsbells » Mon May 29, 1:48 2017

Welcome to the Spacefem forums, YorkshireBear. I'm imagining a very tiny bear indeed, the kind that will curl up next to your leg and pant happily, if bears even pant.

A close friend of mine has been erecting stage tents for the past few years (not his title position, but that doesn't matter). I take it you get to travel a lot for the job? Where have you been?

Yorkshirebear

Post by Yorkshirebear » Mon May 29, 4:36 2017

Haha 6ft 6, not that little of a bear :)
But yeah been travelling quite a lot mostly Europe and a couple of times to the states but the best place I've been by far has to be Taiwan. The people were super friendly and I love trying out different stuff and over there literally everything was different was an interesting eye opener to say the least :)
I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not. - Neil Gaiman

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue May 30, 14:49 2017

Welcome, glad you're here. How do you keep tents from flying away in a big wind? I was in a tent not too long ago and it got really windy but seemed pretty stable (we moved though because it was also *cold*). It was on pavement so no stakes into the ground. Anyway was just wondering. It was a Very Big Tent. That's cool you get to travel all over to set them up.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Yorkshirebear

Post by Yorkshirebear » Tue May 30, 15:03 2017

Hey there, the principle is the same just bigger stakes and thicker straps :) and a whole lot more of them haha

Bork

Post by Bork » Sat Jun 3, 17:35 2017

Woooo welcome!! I'm glad you found us. What are your favorite games?
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Mon Jun 5, 13:14 2017

Hi YorkshireBear, welcome to the spacefem forums! And well done for using the first post intro :) *big thumbs up*

We're a pretty cool bunch so you can ask us random things and there isn't much talking down to. When I first joined here I was 16 and had no real idea of feminism, just that I found things unfair that were unequal because of gender. And I'm still here many years later ;)

What's your favourite part of Yorkshire? (I'm originally from yorkshire and I love the woods!)
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Yorkshirebear

Post by Yorkshirebear » Tue Jun 6, 7:36 2017

What are your favorite games?
That Varies Bork, depending what mood its either a good old fashioned RPG - Fallout kind of stuff or if I'm up for competition got to be rainbow 6 Seige. Well when i get a chance from work that is haha :)
What's your favourite part of Yorkshire?
Hi Nachos,
Oooh what part I'm from the South near Sheffield (sorry if too personal), and definitely has to be all the woods and endless fields just to go walking through. I'm starting to get the gist of things here and learning quite a bit and my partner definitely noticed I'm not bugging her as much so its a win win really :)

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Jun 6, 12:07 2017

I can't remember what thread it was in so I'll answer your side question here:

Usually we use the term "people of color" rather than "colored" due to the history of the word colored. (you can specify a subset, e.g. "women of color" etc). You may see abbreviations such as PoC and WoC for those two. If it's a specific group, you can use Black, Latinx, or other specifics.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Tue Jun 6, 14:05 2017

I just want to say welcome! :)

We use pants in both the American and British way. Sometimes interchangeably.

Yorkshirebear

Post by Yorkshirebear » Tue Jun 6, 19:19 2017

rowan wrote:Usually we use the term "people of color" rather than "colored" due to the history of the word colored. (you can specify a subset, e.g. "women of color" etc). You may see abbreviations such as PoC and WoC for those two. If it's a specific group, you can use Black, Latinx, or other specifics.
Thank you for clarifying Rowan :)

and good to know thanks Sonic :)

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Fri Jun 9, 9:43 2017

Yorkshirebear wrote:
Nachos wrote:What's your favourite part of Yorkshire?
Hi Nachos,
Oooh what part I'm from the South near Sheffield (sorry if too personal), and definitely has to be all the woods and endless fields just to go walking through. I'm starting to get the gist of things here and learning quite a bit and my partner definitely noticed I'm not bugging her as much so its a win win really :)
Awesome! not too personal at all :) My last residence in England before I moved to Europe was actually in Sheffield :) It was a beautiful city, I wish I had managed to stay and get to know it better. But that also means that when I voted, I'm part of the Sheffield Hallam constituency.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.