Hi . . .

Say hello and shake our hands

Moderators: cwbyrvr, Nachos

Endymion

Hi . . .

Post by Endymion » Tue Mar 19, 15:19 2019

Hi, I’m a cis-male and my name is Tom. My username is Endymion (here’s how to pronounce it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaKyTm9whKs), retired, post graduate degree, hobbies are history of art, watching dance, history of women etc., maybe this will become my favorite website, favorite color is violet, no blue no green oh I guess red, no favorite animal, eggs, bacon, cheese, wearing jeans, was looking for a place where I could share my knowledge of women in history for people who would appropriate it and I found you through google search. I’m a scientific romantic type of guy, who likes learning about quarks, leptons and bosons, but also like to imagine that nature is controlled by fairies and pixies and sprites and I like to look on the positive side of things. My earliest ancestors who I know the names of were all born in Europe, although I strongly suspect that going back 50,000 years or so I had ancestors who were born in tropical Africa. I’ve been married for 37 years, have two children and four and a half grandchildren and was brought up in one of the Abrahamic religions. I am old enough to remember 1955.

Tom,
See here for a topic on Women in history: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=50838

See here for a topic on Female Singers: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=50851.

See here for a topic on Female Artists and the Nude: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=50860

Enigma

Re: Hi . . .

Post by Enigma » Wed Mar 20, 7:29 2019

Welcome Endymion! Who's your favourite artist?
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Endymion

Post by Endymion » Thu Mar 21, 9:04 2019

Enigma thanks for the welcome. Who’s my favorite artist? I’m thinking in terms of painting, sculptures and photographs. To start with I would say Georgia O’Keeffe. She was a great experimenter, starting off with pure abstractions then going on to her “magnified” Flowers which I see as an extension of her abstracts, by magnifying flowers she presents objects usually depicted as passive as being dynamic and full of action. After her flowers she did urban paintings of NYC with also with a distinct abstract quality. Lastly are her paintings of New Mexico. However, I would also add Dame Laura Knight, born in England in 1877. To me her paintings are amazing and varied – scenes of WWII including female heroes, I like her paintings of Romani (Gypsies), her action picture of two men boxing (Physical Training at Witley Camp) and there are so many more – her painting of “The Nuremberg Trial” (1946). I keep thinking of more, there is the photographer Dorothea Lange born in Hoboken NJ in 1895. Her photographs of poor people, particularly migrants during the Depression and the photographs of people interned by the US government during WWII are great studies of faces. I enjoy looking at the sculptures of Harriet Whitney Frishmuth, born in Philadelphia in 1880. She did both female and male nudes, but it seems she only did life size sculptures of female nude. My favorite is “The Vine” which I have seen many times at the Met in NYC. Then there are the late 18th to early 19th century artists, Angelica Kauffmann, Angelique Mongez, Adelaide Labille Guiard and Elisabeth Le Brun. Both Angelica Kauffmann and Angelique Mongez did paintings depicting the male nude. I am going to stop now, but I plan to cover many more female artists, of all types, in a later post on the Feminist forum. As to male artists there is Michelangelo, William Turner and Renoir. One problem I have is that I don’t know how to start a topic on the Feminist forum. I found a New Topic button on this forum, but I can’t find one on the Feminist forum. Do I have to wait?
Tom,

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Thu Mar 21, 12:22 2019

Welcome! I like the way you describe being "scientific romantic". It reminded me of a well known (though I can't remember it at the moment) essay about Occam's razor and that maybe a doorknob actually works by poking a door opening fairy when we turn the knob. I'm looking forward to your post in Feminism. We have the low bar set of requiring a person to make three posts, sort of a show of wanting to participate in the forums, before they can make a new topic other than an introductory thread in New Members.

Endymion

Post by Endymion » Fri Mar 22, 6:35 2019

Melsbells, thanks for the welcome and the information. I never read that essay, but I can imagine what it was like. Thanks for saying that you are looking forward to my post in Feminism. Both you and Enigma have made me feel very welcome.

Tom,