what are you reading?

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Tweek

Re: what are you reading?

Post by Tweek » Fri Feb 2, 9:41 2018

I'm now reading Jingo by Terry Pratchett.
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

Mordak

Post by Mordak » Fri Feb 2, 9:45 2018

Tweeky, read Carpe Jugulum and Lords and Ladies. The Wee Free Men feature greatly in both and I love those little guys <3

I've read every book of his from when he was alive and well enough to write. The discworld was my escape from the real world as a kid. Jingo and Feet of Clay were two that took me a while to understand, but maybe I'll go ask my step-dad if I can borrow half his library again.
:australia: :b2: :b3: :b4: :b1:

rowan

Post by rowan » Sun Feb 4, 10:15 2018

Kid is finally reading Wee Free Men :D

I'm about to start Mortal Engines, which we picked up because we saw the movie trailer and it seemed fun.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Mordak

Post by Mordak » Sun Feb 4, 11:01 2018

HELL YEAH! I can't believe kiddo is all grown up and reading Pratchett already?!?!?! Excellent work, Rowan.

I'm thinking of re-reading "False Memory" by Dean Koontz. It's sooo good. I just have to find it somewhere in my book room. It's like a portal to another world in there and I always come out with a different book than the one I intended to find :P
:australia: :b2: :b3: :b4: :b1:

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Feb 6, 12:51 2018

Mortal Engines was a super interesting setting but there's a lot of character death FYI
I'm still pissed about the dog
Mordak: she is growing up so fast waaah but also coool

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Tue Feb 6, 14:01 2018

I finally finished "Ulysses", with lots of breaks and a few things in between. I'm not sure if I've ever felt this way about a book before, but I would have enjoyed it more if I was reading it in a class. There were a couple moments where I eventually caught on to what the author was doing changing literary style, but not with enough background to pick out more than a couple. I kept going back and forth between thinking it's genius was not overrated to feeling like it was painful to get through. I really like how Joyce depicts people pretending to be more educated as to keep up with a scholar they admire. I saw myself there, pretending I was able to follow a conversation that I was party to but having no idea what it was about.

I'm on to Tillich's "Courage to Be" I'm suspecting it won't live up to it's promise as a book out of which I'll get something that I need.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Wed Mar 21, 7:38 2018

I just finished The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark. It starts in a day school in Edinburgh in the 1930s, with occasional flashes forward decades later. It'll stick with me for a while: there are no true heroes in this book, and the narrative voice takes a bit of adjustment: when any of the Brodie girls (girls who Miss Brodie takes under her wing) are described, there's often a metaleptic comment like, "Mary, who later died in a hotel fire." The characters will stick with me.

Spoilers:
I was pleased that the clues I was picking up on towards the beginning were followed up on. Jean Brodie is a flawed teacher, someone who seems at first to really care about her students and their maturation but at the same time flirts with fascism, puts her students down, and relies primarily on aphorisms and "what did I just say" questions to instruct her students. Despite that, I find it hard to hate Miss Brodie: there's something admirable in her poise that makes me question whether I'm falling for her charisma as well. While the headmaster who wants to kick her out is not sympathetic either, it is at least understandable why one of the Brodie girls would eventually betray her.

The men are less interesting and somewhat insipid and pathetic. Thankfully they aren't the center of the narrative.

rowan

Post by rowan » Wed Mar 21, 9:58 2018

Kid has plowed through several of the Tiffany Aching books and all is good in the world. She periodically says "Ach Crivens!" hahaha

I read Clockwork Boys and the sequel The Wonder Engine by T. Kingfisher and it's basically D&D fanfic written by a published author and you should read it. also there is sex, which is why it's not under her kids' books (real) name (Ursula Vernon, she wrote Digger. I read all her stuff.) She says there is likely to be more in the setting sometime but these two end that story arc. Anyway it was a fun romp (eh heh heh). I'm on her patreon so I got the ebook when that was released but the hard copies are out now (TWE as of yesterday) so I've ordered that as well.

Oh I also finished the last book in the Binti trilogy. I hope there will be more in this setting as well.

Also read the 2nd one in the Silver on the Road trilogy by Laura Anne Gilman (The Cold Eye).

I'm waiting for Dread Nation by Justina Ireland to show up on my doorstop and the third one in the Silver on the Road trilogy, and Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse.

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Fri Mar 23, 13:22 2018

I'm envious of your kid. I've got my hands on the first two Tiffany Aching books about this time last year. Libraries do better at sharing where we moved to, so I'm hoping I can find more Pratchett in English.

Nech

Post by Nech » Wed Apr 18, 16:42 2018

I just finished "Gods Behaving Badly" which was a fun modern day tale loosely dealing with Greek Mythology. I've since started "The Muslimah Fell To Earth" and it's amazing so far, it really breaks down all the varying things that Muslim women deal with inside Islam. Normally not my type of book, but I went to a talk at a bookstore done by the authors and they told their stories so well I had to pick it up.
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

rowan

Post by rowan » Thu Apr 19, 13:47 2018

Oh god I read this awful book it was terrible, I can't even remember its name. Is there any GOOD steampunk out there? *cries*

But then I read Dread Nation and FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING GO READ IT NOW

geldofc

Post by geldofc » Sun Jul 15, 22:03 2018

For Your Own Good by Alice Miller. Amazing stuff. I have a weird feeling like 10% of my brain was spinning in a hamster wheel for years and I just made some leaps by reading this.
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Wed Jul 18, 12:32 2018

I’m reading the new Tamora pierce book (about young Numair). It’s fun.

rowan

Post by rowan » Sat Jul 21, 8:23 2018

You guys go read Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse

Also I read The Lost Books by Sarah Prineas (middle grade book but fun)
Read the 2nd book in the Sea of Trolls series by Nancy Farmer and
Green Wild (2nd book in the Citadel of the Sky series) by Chrysoula Tzavelas please people go read this so she can write more of it. Her other series Senyaza is 0.99 for all of them on kindle right now.

and I JUST GOT AN ARC of the Voyage of the Dogs by Greg Van Eekhout so I will apparently be reading that!
ETA I finished it and THEY ARE ALL GOOD DOGS YES THEY ARE

geldofc

Post by geldofc » Mon Jul 30, 18:07 2018

Down Girl by Kate Manne. 5/5.

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Jul 31, 17:32 2018

I read "Forty Signs of Rain" and it sucked. Don't read. (I should say, the science was pretty sound, at least the parts I know about, I can't speak to the bio stuff. Despite that, it's going in the recycling.)

rowan

Post by rowan » Sun Aug 26, 16:37 2018

^still pissed about that book

I read Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor and it was really good.

I also read the sequel(?) to Maplecroft by Cherie Priest, Chapelwood. It was definitely better written than the first one (but obvs the first was good enough to pick up the second). I enjoyed it. It's kind of a sequel but like, 30 years in the future so not really. Lovecraftian stuff but without the rampant racism. (there's racism but the usual kind, it's set in early 1900s, there's KKK stuff etc. I think the author tries to deal with it, but doesn't quite entirely succeed. the main chars clearly view it as bad at least)

geldofc

Post by geldofc » Mon Jun 10, 2:58 2019

I'm reading Textual Poachers: Television Fans and Participatory Culture by Henry Jenkins tonight.