A couple games

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

A.K.A. Z

A couple games

Post by A.K.A. Z » Sun Mar 2, 22:44 2003

Devil May Cry
This is about a year old but I recently got to play it for the first time and it's great. The graphics are crisp and clean, the style is intricate, dark, gloomy, and stunning. This is an RPG, you play as Dante, a half-human half-devil descendant of an ancient knight of the Underworld who fought for justice inside it. You can use a variety of guns ranging from two custom-made ebony and ivory carved pistols to a grenadegun and even a rifle of Underworld manufacture. Dante's arsenal also includes a demon sword that glows with lightning, a pair of magical gloves that use fire, and the weapon that was used by his ancestor, Sparda, which bears the same name. The action is intense, and is interlaced with magical items, mini-quests and secret missions, not to mention Dante's ability to turn into a demon and use the Underworld's own magic against it.
The game is a new standard in RPGs and action games both, and you know it each time you turn it on. Any PS2 owners here I would recommend to get this one, it's a keeper.

007: Nightfire
A slightly newer game, this is a James Bond story only done for the computer, and it does in fact "star" Peirce Brosnan, or at least an incredibly life-like drawing of him and his voice acting. It's fairly absorbing, and although the plot to the whole thing is your basic spy fare, (international bad guys steal some missile chip that controls a weapon of devestating proportions, etc) the game manages to keep reeling you back in for another mission. The zoom on the sniper rifle was practically enough to keep me playing, but everyone knows James Bond has more tricks up his sleeve than just a gun. He comes with keychain-taser, a watch with a laser on it (too damn cool, you can use this to turn off spotlights, cut alarms, and open safes), a shaver that also acts as a stun grenade, and a camera for some espionage that doubles as a lighter in dark situations. With the newest FP/TPS (First Person/Third Person Shooter) innovation being to get men to surrender to you, James Bond enters the new level of action gaming that so far has been occupied only by a handful of games.
There are few drawbacks in this game, the main one being a disappointing lack of blood, gore, or even much combat realism. This is no place for the wimpy gamer, but it's also not the best for the bloodthirsty Controller Commandos. All in all though, it's a good, solid stealth and shooting game for the PS2, worth the cash for it.
"The strategic adversary is fascism... the fascism in us all, in our heads and in our everyday behavior, the fascism that causes us to love power, to desire the very thing that dominates and exploits us." Foucault

KingTZ

Re: A couple games

Post by KingTZ » Mon Mar 3, 12:11 2003

A.K.A. Z wrote:Devil May Cry
This is an RPG, you play as Dante...The game is a new standard in RPGs and action games both...

You consider this an RPG? I agree with everything else, but I think it's more action than anything else. I'd say it's an "Adventure" game at best, with the puzzles and all.
There is little character development(save a few power ups) and his pistols never run out of bullets.
You might be a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater! [Say it fast]

A.K.A. Z

Re: A couple games

Post by A.K.A. Z » Mon Mar 3, 12:59 2003

KingTZ wrote:
A.K.A. Z wrote:Devil May Cry
This is an RPG, you play as Dante...The game is a new standard in RPGs and action games both...

You consider this an RPG? I agree with everything else, but I think it's more action than anything else. I'd say it's an "Adventure" game at best, with the puzzles and all.
There is little character development(save a few power ups) and his pistols never run out of bullets.
I thought of it as an RPG-Action mix, but yeah, I see your point, it's a little too simple to be called an RPG.
"The strategic adversary is fascism... the fascism in us all, in our heads and in our everyday behavior, the fascism that causes us to love power, to desire the very thing that dominates and exploits us." Foucault

KingTZ

Post by KingTZ » Mon Mar 3, 13:12 2003

Have you played DMC2 yet?

I heard it really sucked compared to the first one.
You might be a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater! [Say it fast]

A.K.A. Z

Post by A.K.A. Z » Mon Mar 3, 13:18 2003

Yeah, I heard that too, also read a bad review in it in PS Magazine. Haven't gotten to play it yet though.