what are you reading?

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

octarineoboe

Re: what are you reading?

Post by octarineoboe » Wed Sep 21, 21:39 2016

I finally picked up a copy of The Shepherd's Crown. about to start it now. Still not sure I'm ready. :(

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Fri Sep 23, 5:46 2016

I WASN'T READY

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Fri Sep 23, 6:31 2016

octarineoboe wrote:I WASN'T READY
THIS IS WHY I'M WAITING!!!
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

rowan

Post by rowan » Fri Sep 23, 10:36 2016

There is no being ready. You will cry.

I just read Girl Who Drank the Moon and it was really good. Also read The Witch's Boy by the same author and it was good but not as good, but also I was really sick so I'm not sure I was really reading all the words.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Neko

Post by Neko » Mon Oct 3, 15:36 2016

Okay so I'm loving Discworld. I didn't know anything about it, just heard about it years ago (^ most recently here ^), and decided to get started. Now I know why I've heard about it. I'm reading them in order and I'm on Men at Arms.

Death and the luggage are my favorites. I smile to myself whenever and wherever they pop up. The witches are delightful. Just... everything?? Awesome. But you guys already know! And now I know! AGH.

Before starting, I was warned that there are jokes that "go on a little too long" but... I like that!

I'm being punned to death slowly and couldn't be happier.
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth:

Tweek

Post by Tweek » Sun Oct 16, 11:42 2016

I'm currently reading I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett... like all of his books I've read so far it is pretty good.
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

filmmakingally

Post by filmmakingally » Sun Oct 16, 23:10 2016

Men Explain Things to Me. It was recommended to me by a member of this forum, and I'm really enjoying it! :)

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Sun Oct 23, 15:54 2016

Neko wrote: I'm being punned to death slowly and couldn't be happier.
Yeeeeeees! You have been converted! All is now well in your world! :-D

I'm reading the Lies of Locke Lamora on my phone kindle right now because my real kindle won't start for some reason. Grrrrr. Currently draining it of battery so can do a hard force restart.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Sun Oct 23, 17:01 2016

Glad you're enjoying it, filmmakingally!

I got a book this weekend called Trivium: The Classical Liberal Arts of Grammar, Rhetoric, and Logic. It's a collection of six books on topics related to these three things. The first book on poetry and sounds having meanings utterly sucked. The author took on a magisterial tone, and meanwhile failed to account for the many, many exceptions to what he was saying. There was also no consideration of etymology, which influences sound symbolism a lot. (Hard "g's" from Anglo-Norman - guard, garrison, gaunt, and so on - have a different sense and sometimes different origin than hard "g's" the author cites, like glue, gum, grease.)

The second section on grammar has been better. There's still a bit of a prescriptivist spin, but at least the designations and information is useful. It's nice to know about parts of speech as well as functions of nouns.

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Tue Oct 25, 14:39 2016

^Would you have any recommendations on reading about sound symbolism that includes etymology? That sounds like something that would greatly interest me.

I just read Hocus Pocus Kurt Vonnegut :4houses: and finished Life: A User's Manual by Georges Peree :4houses:or maybe :5houses:, I can't decide. The Vonnegut was everything I've come to want when I pick up a Vonnegut novel. It loses a house for making a point of the main character not using profanity, but that didn't seem to include racial slurs. Life: A User's Manual may go down as one of my all time favorite novels. Every thing felt important to the story. I suspect I missed a lot, but I found some incredible (to me) inserted puzzles. In that way, it reminded me of House of Leaves by Daniewski, an established all time favorite. Given the intricasies of the book, I'm curious how much is necessarily lost in translation.

I started Chaos: Making A New Science by James Gleick. I'm enjoying it, despite the figurative eye rolling when I was explained what a linear equation is or topology with the "rubber sheet" description. It has been giving me some exciting things to think about, even though I'm skeptical of any populist science book. It reads a little too excitedly, like the tension is edited in to create drama for the masses. Would I be equally annoyed if I had any background in other areas discussed in the book? Questions left unsaid at the moment might be worth a post in science and technology when I have a bit more time with a keyboard.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Tue Oct 25, 21:40 2016

^ Yeah! Word Origins and How We Know Them by Anatoly Liberman is an introduction to etymology, and he has a couple of chapters on onomatopoeia, sound symbolism, and related concepts. His writing's a bit dry, but I appreciate the wealth of information and the fact that he's honest about the limitations on what he can say.

rowan

Post by rowan » Wed Oct 26, 8:50 2016

Oooooo nice

curlybae

Post by curlybae » Sun Oct 30, 20:53 2016

I bought John Grisham's Gray Mountain but I haven't started reading it yet. Anyone who has read this?

Rainbow Dolphins

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Mon Oct 31, 1:34 2016

I just started The Count of Monte Cristo. It's really long but reading quick so far. I really liked The Three Musketeers, and a friend of mine told me this one is better.

Before this one I read dreamcatcher by Stephen King. Not really a fan. I feel like a lot of his work is hit-or-miss. There are some Stephen King books I love and some are like ehhh.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Mon Oct 31, 6:08 2016

Rainbow Dolphins wrote: Before this one I read dreamcatcher by Stephen King. Not really a fan. I feel like a lot of his work is hit-or-miss. There are some Stephen King books I love and some are like ehhh.
I'm pretty sure Dreamcatcher was the book that made me part ways with Mr. King. That one was a stinker.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Neko

Post by Neko » Tue Nov 1, 19:35 2016

Nachos wrote:
Neko wrote: I'm being punned to death slowly and couldn't be happier.
Yeeeeeees! You have been converted! All is now well in your world! :-D
It sure is. Managed to convert the SO as well!

Just finished The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents.
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth:

Tweek

Post by Tweek » Wed Dec 14, 12:24 2016

I just finished Terry Pratchett's Mort and now I'm reading The Cogs of Alusura by Sidney Lotto; it was leant to me by the barman at my favourite pub and I'm rather enjoying it.
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Wed Dec 14, 14:38 2016

I read The Memory of Whiteness by Kim Stanley Robinson. The narrator is somewhat pompous, but I found it had an interesting story focused on music, physics, and performance. Two sentence gist: a blind master goes on a grand tour of the Solar System to show off the Holywelkin Orchestra, an eclectic and goofy-looking instrument designed in the late years of a groundbreaking physicist's life. He and his crew have to face a spiraling series of conspiracies seemingly centered on the meaning of the orchestra itself.

I'm team Margaret Nevis. Poor woman puts up with too much for being the stage manager of this tour. :4houses:

Rainbow Dolphins

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Sun Jan 8, 13:22 2017

I finished The Count of Monte Cristo! I really liked it. I would say I preferred it to The Three Musketeers. I am on nonfiction now, and I promised my mom the book she just published would be my next fiction read. Will report back.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Sun Jan 8, 16:18 2017

The Owl Service by Alan Garner. I remembered reading something like it at my Grandma's a long time ago and found it and downloaded it and am rereading it. There is some troubling stuff in there, but all said by "bad" characters at least.

Tweek

Post by Tweek » Tue Jan 17, 10:48 2017

I'm currently reading Unseen Academicals.

I got a nice haul of Disc World books at the Cancer Research shop today:

Equal Rites
Guards! Guards!
Moving Pictures
Small Gods
Jingo
The Truth
Thud!
WinterSmith

Not bad for a quid each... especially the last two as they were the hardback editions :)
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Jan 17, 12:47 2017

I'm reading Pedagogy of the Oppressed but it's pretty dry so my eyeballs keep falling out even though I think it's an important read.

I just read The Sundered, and also The Abyss Surrounds Us. Both are YA sci fi, different authors. I though the former was pretty interesting setting, kind of turned things about at the end, writing could have been a little better. Will probably pick up more. I thought the latter was potentially interesting but then really fell flat and the romance was horrible and unconvincing and used to yank the plot around in ways that were really kludgy. Would not recommend.

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Tue Jan 17, 17:55 2017

I recently finished Station Eleven, which was wonderful but also terrifying, and now I'm reading Code Name Verity, which is great so far and also terrifying, but in a different way.

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Wed Jan 18, 11:40 2017

Tweek wrote:I'm currently reading Unseen Academicals.

I got a nice haul of Disc World books at the Cancer Research shop today:

Equal Rites
Guards! Guards!
Moving Pictures
Small Gods
Jingo
The Truth
Thud!
WinterSmith

Not bad for a quid each... especially the last two as they were the hardback editions :)
BEST HAUL EVER!

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Wed Jan 18, 14:54 2017

I have been spending all too much time reading Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. It feels vindicating. It makes me want to read the Harry Potter series to my kid, just so we can then read this.

Before getting distracted by that, I had started in on Ulysses. I have tons of mixed feelings on it, but it's quite early to tell.