what are you reading?

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Taurwen

Re: what are you reading?

Post by Taurwen » Thu Jan 19, 7:40 2017

My partner and I are reading Lamb (the gospel according to Biff Christ's childhood friend) to the baby. So that's pretty much all I'm reading right now

Murtlap

Post by Murtlap » Fri Jan 20, 6:11 2017

just finished the Devil in the White city, next book is Harry Potter and Cursed Child

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Sun Jan 22, 15:18 2017

Going on a Jasper Fforde binge. Just reread Over Easy and the Fourth Bear, now back to the Dragonslayer series. Love this stuff.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Bork

Post by Bork » Fri Jan 27, 22:59 2017

The Gene, by Siddhartha Mukherjee. Not too far in, but crazy amazing so far. Next up is his book about cancer!
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Sat Jan 28, 8:36 2017

I'm reading the short stories in Ted Chiang's Stories of Your Life and Others. One of the stories was the basis for the film Arrival.

I've liked most of the stories, including "Stories of Your Life." With most of his stories he does a great job with taking a science-fictional concept and some characters and putting them together in a great way. Linguistics ("SoYL") and math ("Division by Zero") lead in their own ways to meditating on love and family. On the other hand, I utterly loathed "Understand," a short story about a superhuman formed from a medical treatment.

The first two stories seemed to have only men. (There was maybe one woman who spoke.) The later stories have gotten better about representing more diverse situations.

Galen

Post by Galen » Sun Jan 29, 8:38 2017

On Pluto: Inside the Mind of Alzheimer's by Greg O'Brien. Okay, technically I haven't started reading it yet. But my mom-type wants me to read it before she gives it to her friend so there it is, sitting on the coffee table, staring at me in an accusing way while it taps its watch.

Tweek

Post by Tweek » Thu Feb 2, 12:26 2017

I'm now reading Wintersmith; I have plenty of Pratchett that needs reading :)
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Thu Feb 2, 15:00 2017

I'm reading Testosterone Rex:Myths of Sex, Science, and Society by Cordelia Fine. I'm a third of the way through the book, and so far it seems like a solid, clearly written explanation of why many myths presenting gender/sex as biological destiny break down. Summarily, testosterone is not destiny, or even the prime guide of behavior many people assume it to be. Her target with this argument is most of us, including feminists who argued after the financial crash that Wall Street needed more estrogen and less testosterone in the board room. While Fine might agree that there should be more women in board rooms, she disagrees with conflating board room behavior and hormones. This book marshals tons of scientific studies, events, and anecdotes towards dethroning king hormones.

For example, the first chapter provided a lot of explanation for where the belief in their scientific validity would have come from, going back in the first chapter to Angus John Bateman, a scientist who studied fruit fly promiscuity. He'd claimed that male fruit flies show more variance in how many sexual partners they get, contributing to a general myth (a "Testosterone Rex") that males tend to be sexually competitive (she uses the term "promiscuous") and females tend to control sexual access. It turns out so many species don't mate like fruit flies. Furthermore, in returning to this study 60 years later, it turns out that female fruit flies were often promiscuous too, a result missed because of the lack of DNA testing and the lack of people in the room who would've thought of that.

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Mon Feb 6, 12:34 2017

After going on a bit of a Jasper Fforde binge, I'm now reading something new, Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.

rowan

Post by rowan » Wed Feb 8, 10:36 2017

I just got The Girl from Everywhere and I'm super excited! Haven't quite gotten to crack it open yet, but tonight I will!
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

felipefs

Post by felipefs » Sun Feb 12, 15:58 2017

I'm reading a couple of things.

Today I started "Why Feminism?" by Lynne Segal. It's quite an old book (1999), but maybe it's a start point for me.

I'm in the middle of the first chapter, and so far she explained differences of feminism during its different generations (70s to 90s), and some political contexts. Makes me wonder if there's some good source about the 2000s and 2010s generations (if there's a distinction). I imagine there is... thanks to a thing called internet.

Recommendations about the subject are welcome :]

"Dialectical Materialism" by Alexander Spirkin. It's about philosophy, science and art.

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Mon Mar 13, 17:30 2017

Currently reading Beauty by Sheri S. Tepper. It's a bit of a wild ride with time travel and magic and fairy tales but really really good so far.

Nech

Post by Nech » Mon Mar 13, 21:09 2017

I just started reading The Muslimah Who Fell to Earth By Saima Hussain after seeing a discussion panel by some of the collected authors and the editor. I heard of it before, but it wasn't until I saw the discussion the book really caught my eye. I'm not far enough into the book to really say much based on it directly; if it's anything like the panel it will be a mix of old tropes, systemic oppression, and free choice.
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

rowan

Post by rowan » Wed Mar 15, 15:13 2017

Ohh I did read and finish Girl from Everywhere and its sequel Ship Beyond Time. Good books!

Also read Binti: Home, and I liked it better than the first one. Also recommend!

My plan to read "authors I follow on Twitter" is going all right! Next up: NK Jemisin's Broken Earth series.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Thu Mar 16, 17:02 2017

I finished Testosterone Rex. Great book!

I'm reading The Only Woman in the Room: Why Science Is Still a Boys' Club by Eileen Pollack. The first half (which I'm still in) is a memoir reflecting on Pollack's early educational experiences, which culminated in her being one of the first two women to earn a bachelor of science degree in physics from Yale, only to leave science entirely to become a creative writer. Why did she do this? That's the big question, and her adept writing so far has revealed how difficult it was to even get pursue science in the first place, and how many ways she had been made to feel insecure of herself in that pursuit. The second half of the book promises to engage with many other examples: "six years of interviewing dozens of teachers and students and reviewing studies on gender bias," the back cover promises. I'll let you know how that goes, but I'd recommend it for the first half of the book alone.

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Mon Jun 5, 13:42 2017

Just finished The Kid by Sapphire which is a follow on book to Push (called Precious when turned into a movie). Quite horrific and hard to follow but sadly realistic in ways.

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Jun 6, 12:00 2017

rowan wrote:Next up: NK Jemisin's Broken Earth series.
This was really good, waiting for Book 3 which I think will be August omg dying waiting

So I've read 2/3 of the Inheritance trilogy by NK Jemisin instead. So far I will say :4houses: out of :5houses:
(but then the summer session started and I"M SO TIRED OMG)

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Tue Jun 6, 12:16 2017

rowan wrote: So I've read 2/3 of the Inheritance trilogy by NK Jemisin instead. So far I will say :4houses: out of :5houses:
(but then the summer session started and I"M SO TIRED OMG)
Oh sweet racing baby jeeezus for a second there I saw "Inheritance" and 4 out of 5 and I thought you were talking about the god-awful stupid dragon books and I thought "whaaaaaa.....??? :kill: " and then I saw the author and breathed a sigh of relief. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, to stay on topic, Christopher Paolini's Inheritance cycle. Book 1 was entertaining and promising, if a bit simple and somewhat derivative of *multiple* dragon rider series and other **cough**StarWars**cough** mythology. Book 2 was way more pretentious, less original, and overall not very satisfying except for a few parts. Book 3... I didnt make it through Book 3. It was awful. Imagine the long descriptive passages from LotR, and ONLY those long descriptive passages for the first 200 pages. Haven't been near a copy of Book 4. I give the series 1.5 stars, and the Book 1 is pulling most of that weight, and with the caveat that I didnt even give Book 4 a chance. :1house:
Last edited by DarkOne on Tue Jun 6, 14:41 2017, edited 1 time in total.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Tue Jun 6, 14:20 2017

When Christopher Paolini hit it big, part of the charm was that he was such a young author. I liked Eragon and even liked Eldest at the time I read it, though I felt like he couldn't help male-gazing/idealizing Arya in typical adolescent and uncomfortable ways. He's not bad; I think more than anything he's a demonstration of what tons of marketing can do for an author that's at least decent.

I finished Look to Windward, the last Iain Banks Culture book that I hadn't read. It was a solid read that had some eerily relevant writing on suicide bombing. Still, due to some slow plot development and indulgences that seem geared for fans of the series, I wouldn't recommend it as an entry point. :3houses:

Reading How to Write a Sentence by Stanley Fish right now. I disagree with a lot in the book (I get pedantic about grammatical pedantry), but I'm at least entertained by the examples. The author can write a decent sentence. :3houses:

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Tue Jun 6, 14:48 2017

I liked Eragon too. Did you get to Brisingr? I... It was bad. It felt like he was trying too hard to come up with a Tolkien-like world and went off on a tangent with the dwarves and uuuggghhh it just dragged on and on until it made me lose the will to read. I even tried having it read to me. No dice.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Jun 6, 21:09 2017

yeah I read all the way to Brisingr but I don't think I got all the way through it.

I am okay at writing sentences. I probably overuse the ; though. It's been a while since I've read any Iain Banks...

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Fri Jun 9, 9:51 2017

I've not finished the Eragon series yet.... I doubt I ever will!

Taurwen

Post by Taurwen » Sat Jun 10, 10:13 2017

I read Eragon and thought it was cool, read the second one and couldn't believe how bad it was. Which may be harsh for a teenage author but there were all these supposed twists that I had just assumed from the get go so the big reveals were confusing.
I did not read the other books, though I've thought of going back.

Right now I'm reading Ursula K. Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness. I'm not sure how I feel about it, I keep falling asleep after a page or two every night. Which normally would be a bad sign, but right now just might be a fact of life with a baby around.

lillerina

Post by lillerina » Sat Jun 10, 14:46 2017

My biggest problem with Eragon was that I had read the fantasy canon by the time I read it and I saw where every single bit came from. Eragon is straight out of the Belgariad. The old story teller guy was a combination of the Belgariad and the fool from Robin Hobb. Other bits were picked straight out of other Eddings novels, Anne McCaffrey, Tolkien, Ursula K LeGuin...

The Broken Earth is amazing. The next one is due out in August, yes, and I've preordered it. I own 3 copies each of the Fifth Season and the Obelisk Gate. So. Good. NK is probably my favourite living author.

Currently reading - short stories from What is not yours is not yours, by Helen Oyeyemi. So good. Uncomfortable in a really awesome way. Rereading the Artemis Fowl series. Just finished Drowned Ammet, the second novel in Diana Wynne Jones' Dalemark Quartet. Recently finished The Doll Funeral, which I think I liked quite a lot.
If I bang my head against a brick wall five times and get five lumps, why am I surprised when I bang it a sixth time and get a sixth lump?

"Isn't it funny that the only time your race or gender is questioned is when you're not a white man?" - Wanda Sykes

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Sat Jun 10, 19:01 2017

I recently read Obelisk Gate (and had read The Fifth Season several months before that). Seconding lilly's comment: SO GOOD. Personally I liked it much better than the 100K kingdoms, too.

Currently re-reading Outlander, because it's fun and lighthearted and sexy, and I am very slowly reading All the Single Ladies by Rebecca Traister.