what are you reading?

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Neko

Re: what are you reading?

Post by Neko » Thu May 26, 22:25 2016

I listened to almost all of the Valdemar books by Mercedes Lackey over the past few months. I might have to do a mass review at some point since there were lots of female characters and some reoccurring themes I'd like to talk about. When I was younger, they were the first books I ever read that had gay and lesbian characters.

Now I'm on non-Valdemar books and just finished The Serpent's Shadow.
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth:

Rainbow Dolphins

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Mon May 30, 16:04 2016

^I haven't read Mercedes Lackey since I was a kid. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on them, hearing an adult perspective.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Thu Jun 16, 5:27 2016

Neko wrote:I listened to almost all of the Valdemar books by Mercedes Lackey over the past few months. I might have to do a mass review at some point since there were lots of female characters and some reoccurring themes I'd like to talk about. When I was younger, they were the first books I ever read that had gay and lesbian characters.

Oooh! How did you get hold of these books to listen to? I've listened to some of her free stuff and love it.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Fri Jun 24, 13:57 2016

I've loved the three Valdemar books I've gotten a hold of so far. I read The Last Herald Mage trilogy. They're page-turners.

I've been reading Lady Slings the Booze by Spider Robinson. It's a mystery-comedy that takes place in a rather utopian-sounding New York City brothel run by Lady Sally McGee, a charismatic woman who treats her workers as artists and her customers as clients. I can see how the book's depiction of alternate sexualities would've been radical in the early 1990s - there are some homosexual and bisexual characters, as well as characters practicing forms of bondage. The woman at the thrift shop where I bought it glanced at the cover and scoffed. (It's a raucous cover.) I find the protagonist's responses to his environment annoying but like the details and the writing.

I've also been reading Amy Poehler's book Yes Please. I'm enjoying it.

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Mon Jun 27, 4:29 2016

I'm reading "A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian" by Marina Lewycka right now. Good stuff.

rowan

Post by rowan » Mon Jun 27, 8:34 2016

Re-reading The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C Wrede. Still as good as I remember (which is, the first one is super good, the second one is pretty decent, and the third one is better than the 2nd but not as good as the first)

I also read the first book in the Vineart series, by Laura Anne Gilman. Definitely need to get the rest of that one. Fortunately it's actually done trilogy so I can get it at the library.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Thu Jun 30, 17:38 2016

^ Cimorene! She's the best!

I just finished Homeward Bound: Why Women Are Embracing the New Domesticity by Emily Matchar. "New domesticity" is her term for the sort of DIY, attachment-parenting, "crunchy" liberal "opt-out" ideology/behavior that is becoming more and more popular. I really enjoyed the book because she really takes a balanced view, seeking to understand why the new domesticity is appealing to many but also critiquing its gender implications.

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Thu Jul 7, 4:19 2016

The Magicians by Lev Grossman, again.

And it's hard because the idea was then to read the other two but then I met someone and he sent me all these cool books and I don't have enough time to read everything in a short time argh!

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Thu Jul 7, 14:41 2016

Oh I just finished the Magicians trilogy! I really enjoyed it - I'd heard it described as "Harry Potter for grownups" and it's really not like Harry Potter at all. So that was sort of a surprise, but a good one.

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Tue Jul 12, 4:00 2016

octarineoboe wrote:Oh I just finished the Magicians trilogy! I really enjoyed it - I'd heard it described as "Harry Potter for grownups" and it's really not like Harry Potter at all. So that was sort of a surprise, but a good one.
I'm halfway through the second one now! I remember being a little heartbroken when I finished it last time. So now I am looking forward to reading the third one. Don't spoiler me, but is the ending satisfactory?

Nech

Post by Nech » Tue Jul 12, 9:23 2016

What is this trilogy you guys all speak of, is it the books by Lev Grossman? Or maybe Jenny Nimo? Googling this has brought up a lot of options, but those two seem to be the top.
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

iamthegate

Post by iamthegate » Tue Jul 12, 11:12 2016

I think they mean the Trudi Canavan books?

At the moment I am reading/audiobooking Flowers For Algernon, and it's heartbreaking and written so "good" <3 And I can relate to so much of the background of it, due to my psychology studies.

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Tue Jul 12, 15:42 2016

Nech wrote:What is this trilogy you guys all speak of, is it the books by Lev Grossman? Or maybe Jenny Nimo? Googling this has brought up a lot of options, but those two seem to be the top.
The Lev Grossman one.
Nachos wrote:
octarineoboe wrote:Oh I just finished the Magicians trilogy! I really enjoyed it - I'd heard it described as "Harry Potter for grownups" and it's really not like Harry Potter at all. So that was sort of a surprise, but a good one.
I'm halfway through the second one now! I remember being a little heartbroken when I finished it last time. So now I am looking forward to reading the third one. Don't spoiler me, but is the ending satisfactory?
I thought the ending was satisfying, but maybe not exactly in the way I wanted. We can have a more spoileriffic discussion when you finish :)

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Thu Jul 14, 5:28 2016

octarineoboe wrote:
Nech wrote:What is this trilogy you guys all speak of, is it the books by Lev Grossman? Or maybe Jenny Nimo? Googling this has brought up a lot of options, but those two seem to be the top.
The Lev Grossman one.
Nachos wrote:
I thought the ending was satisfying, but maybe not exactly in the way I wanted. We can have a more spoileriffic discussion when you finish :)
Ok! Look forward to it :)

Neko

Post by Neko » Sat Jul 16, 11:50 2016

The historical dramas thread got me to put Pride and Prejudice on my list.

Right now I'm listening to the Harry Potter books because I never read them... There's a lot of really popular media that I missed out on when I was younger. Moving around a lot and isolation will do that, I guess.

I recently finished the Halfblood Chronicles and The Gates of Sleep, more Mercedes Lackey.
Nachos wrote:
Neko wrote:I listened to almost all of the Valdemar books by Mercedes Lackey over the past few months. I might have to do a mass review at some point since there were lots of female characters and some reoccurring themes I'd like to talk about. When I was younger, they were the first books I ever read that had gay and lesbian characters.

Oooh! How did you get hold of these books to listen to? I've listened to some of her free stuff and love it.
Audible has some of her books but I can't use their service at work. So I get CDs and transfer them to my generic mp3 player. I got them from the Barnes and Noble website and a local discount bookstore.
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth:

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Sat Jul 16, 15:17 2016

I just read the only two English Terry Prachett Disc World books at the library, Raising Steam and then Snuff. I feel pretty okay reading these books out of order, but I hope to read the other 38. Now I'm reading Crime and Punishment, which isn't as dense as I remember, but still dense in a very good way. I'd like to read more Russian lit in general, but get annoyed with Russian->English translators, at least the ones I've encountered recently.

Rainbow Dolphins

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Sat Jul 16, 20:37 2016

^Have you read We, by Yevgeny Zamyatin? The translation is definitely kind of weird, but it's still a good read.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

iamthegate

Post by iamthegate » Sun Jul 17, 0:47 2016

@melsbells: I'm reading Crime and Punishment too, and I find it very hard to get trough. Is there a perspective I'm missing?

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Mon Jul 18, 14:23 2016

@RD,, I haven't read We. Thanks for the recommendation. Zamyatin is more recent than the period I've mostly read fiction from but I'll certainly try to get my hands on a copy.

@iamthegate, I suppose that depends on what you're getting out of it. One of the things I like about the denseness of Dostoyevsky and other Russian lit that I've read is that I can't breeze though a book. I have to make reading much more intentional compared to when I was recently reading books from Discworld where I just picked up the book any chance I got. Here I only get through one or two chapters a day while the kid is sleeping and if my mind wanders, I have to reread a bit. I'm getting a lot more out of this book than the last time I read it just because I feel like I can make more connections to other things I've encountered, like other Russian lit, philosopohical texts by existentialists and other phenomenologists, Chinese communist writers from before and during the revolution, A catcher in the Rye, and past experiences with mental health.

iamthegate

Post by iamthegate » Sun Jul 24, 14:49 2016

melsbells wrote: @iamthegate, I suppose that depends on what you're getting out of it. One of the things I like about the denseness of Dostoyevsky and other Russian lit that I've read is that I can't breeze though a book. I have to make reading much more intentional compared to when I was recently reading books from Discworld where I just picked up the book any chance I got. Here I only get through one or two chapters a day while the kid is sleeping and if my mind wanders, I have to reread a bit. I'm getting a lot more out of this book than the last time I read it just because I feel like I can make more connections to other things I've encountered, like other Russian lit, philosopohical texts by existentialists and other phenomenologists, Chinese communist writers from before and during the revolution, A catcher in the Rye, and past experiences with mental health.
Actually, this helps. I also like to put the effort in (I tend to read a few pages before bed, when I am not too sleepy). And the mental health perspective as well. I did not really look at it from that angle much, but now it clicks more, or something. Tnx!

Tweek

Post by Tweek » Tue Aug 9, 11:29 2016

I'm currently reading The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett. It is pretty good although I should have left more time between watching a TV adaption and reading the book.
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

Angelica

Post by Angelica » Mon Sep 12, 12:53 2016

Exo-psychology by Timothy Leary. I've already read it but I'm reading it again. I consider it his best work.

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Thu Sep 15, 14:57 2016

Tweek wrote:I'm currently reading The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett. It is pretty good although I should have left more time between watching a TV adaption and reading the book.
Oh god yes! The TV adaptation was lovely in its own way but.... not great.

octarineoboe: I finished :-D

My latest book, given tp me by a fellow bibliophile: Zoo City by Lauren Beukes. Very very very good.

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Fri Sep 16, 16:12 2016

Nachos wrote:octarineoboe: I finished :-D
So what did you think? Spoilers:
I was happy to see Alice again, but not totally happy that she and Quentin went off to live their lives together (although not necessarily romantically) when she was so mad at him. It also felt like the ending kind of set up for another series, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I like endings that are a little more "closed" if that makes sense.

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Sat Sep 17, 4:34 2016

octarineoboe wrote:
Nachos wrote:octarineoboe: I finished :-D
So what did you think? Spoilers:
I was happy to see Alice again, but not totally happy that she and Quentin went off to live their lives together (although not necessarily romantically) when she was so mad at him. It also felt like the ending kind of set up for another series, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I like endings that are a little more "closed" if that makes sense.
You're right, it was a good ending but also not a very closed one. It did link everything up together nicely (in more ways than one, hur hur, Fillory and Earth) and it was satisfying. It does make me wonder about the sword though and that entrance exam in the first book which I now want to reread that part of.The Alice thing was odd, I wanted to hear more of her "life" as a niffin and maybe did she meet her brother there and all sorts of things. And I wanted to know more about the Libraries in the Neitherlands too and the dragons. It did leave a lot open. Again, not necessarily a bad thing, just makes me wonder.