what tv shows are you into nowdays?

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Nerd1987

Re: what tv shows are you into nowdays?

Post by Nerd1987 » Fri Sep 4, 2:27 2015

I was watching that semi recent show with Kevin bacon about the serial killer and his cult of serial killers. Also like dr who despite it being marketed to women it's the best sci fi show I've seen in a long while.

antfancier

Post by antfancier » Thu Dec 31, 20:32 2015

I didn't know if I should start a new thread or post here, but I just finished watching Making a Murderer on Netflix and have to tell everyone about it. It doesn't pretend to be an objective documentary and I appreciate that. I'm sad, scared and angry at how the justice system can be manipulated by those in power and how it completely fails the most vulnerable. It wasn't easy to watch and brought me to tears several times but I highly recommend it.

Dirt Goblin

Post by Dirt Goblin » Sun Jan 3, 1:07 2016

I registered here specifically to ask for suggestions of shows to watch. Looks like I'll be checking out Sense8.

I have to recommend Jessica Jones. I just finished it and it was exhilarating. I love hero stories but unfortunately they are usually told with a male hero and a male majority cast. Nothing necessarily wrong with that as long as the females on the show aren't being represented in stereotypical ways. I can care about a well written male character just as easily as I can care about a female one, but when I see a show with women in a variety of roles, it gives me the extra thrill of knowing that I am audience to a piece of media that is chipping away at stereotypes and gender roles. Jessica Jones does that, but not in the "Strong Female Character" way that makes everything seem one dimensional. there are so many female characters in this show that I feel like I'm watching TV from another dimension. All of them have their story and they are all different.

I do have to put a trigger warning on my recommendation as the show deals with themes of violence, abuse, domestic abuse, rape, and manipulation. However if you are cool with those things as story elements you will also see a show full of mystery, intrigue, dry wit, and an addictive plot line.

P.S. It's film noire!

Gnarlbanya

Post by Gnarlbanya » Sun Jan 3, 16:20 2016

Jessica Jones is fantastic for all the reasons mentioned above, I just finished it as well. I second the trigger warning, though, some of it is very difficult to watch. Despite that, I highly recommend it.

I've moved on to Daredevil now (another Netflix series set in the same world with a bit of crossover). It's well-plotted but I don't find the characters as sympathetic as in Jessica Jones. I also may be getting soft in my old age, but it seems really violent to me - like there is at least one scene in each episode that I have to look away from. Anyone else seen it and found the same?

Rainbow Dolphins

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Sun Jan 3, 17:06 2016

I watched both Daredevil and Jessica Jones, I like them both a lot. I concur with gnarlbanya that the characters are not as sympathetic as on Jessica Jones, but I do still like them. I would say the standout on Daredevil is that Wilson Fisk is an AWESOME villain, I liked his character way better than Kilgrave (like Kilgrave was still cool, just Fisk kicks so much more ass). Daredevil is more violent but I think the difference in the villains is part of why. I engage in a lot of violent media so it didn't really bother me. I would recommend it to you, dirt goblin, if you liked Jessica Jones, it's not as feministy but it doesn't do too bad.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Sun Jan 3, 17:20 2016

I've been really engaged by Jessica Jones. Besides what you've said, it's one of those shows that rewards closely watching for details. The settings, props, and character mannerisms are all really rich. It's not just a compelling feminist story - it's a well-done TV show.

I watched some Galavant yesterday. I study medieval romances, so I was fascinated to finally watch this musical comedy take on the conventional hero of medieval romance. In accuracy it of course doesn't hold up (and why would it?), but it's a spirited show that uses the dressings of adventure and romance to funny effect. I haven't seen enough to say more than that yet.

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Sat Jan 9, 10:42 2016

^ bah dah dah dah dah DAH dah GAAALAVAAANT!!! I have some conflicting feelings about Galavant at the moment - I thought it was going to be a miniseries so I was pretty annoyed when the end of the first season didn't wrap things up. But it's so wonderfully catchy - who can resist an Alan Menken score? - and I enjoy the way it embraces its own ridiculousness. Plus some of my good friends like to quote it/badly sing parts of it so it's kind of A Thing. I haven't started the second season yet. The trailer about how they're not going to sing the theme song was pretty great (here if you're interested).

I'm continuing to catch up on old stuff. Currently in the 4th season of The West Wing, and my partner and I recently started watching Mad Men.

Meperidine

Post by Meperidine » Sat Jan 9, 14:16 2016

Gnarlbanya wrote:Jessica Jones is fantastic for all the reasons mentioned above, I just finished it as well. I second the trigger warning, though, some of it is very difficult to watch. Despite that, I highly recommend it.

I've moved on to Daredevil now (another Netflix series set in the same world with a bit of crossover). It's well-plotted but I don't find the characters as sympathetic as in Jessica Jones. I also may be getting soft in my old age, but it seems really violent to me - like there is at least one scene in each episode that I have to look away from. Anyone else seen it and found the same?
I watched Daredevil first and really didn't like it. With its ridiculously high ratings I expected a lot, but its characters are boring to awful, everything is washed in that greyish black Grit Mode that I just don't give a shit about, and its often-praised fight scenes seem repetitive and pointless. The overarching theme is that...these two guys fighting tooth and nail with massive collateral damage for the right to micromanage a 14-block area of western Manhattan are maybe not all that different from each other? And the internet's mind is blown.

Jessica Jones I thought was excellent. Lots of great acting--I've been rooting for Krysten Ritter to make it big for years and I'm glad she knocked it out of the park here, and David Tennant is the only choice I can imagine for his character--pretty tightly written, INTENSE as hell. I got jumpy IRL during the period of time I was watching it. (No one gave me a heads up that'd be difficult to watch, so I'm thirding that.) I didn't expect anything to redeem the MCU/Netflix combo from Daredevil for me, but this just blew it all out of the water. Even though it was deeply referential to all kinds of noirish tropes, I felt like I was watching something I'd truly never seen before--a story, told primarily by women, about abuse and trauma and survival, a story about the effects of sexual assault that never fetishizes it or even shows it onscreen, even once. The fact that there were so many women in charge at so many levels of the production. I straight up have never seen the hardboiled, traumatized noir private eye be a woman before. It's as simple as that. I have definitely never seen an amoral power lawyer be a gay woman before--though I did say, while watching it, "this character seems like a male character they just re-cast as a woman," and that turned out to be true; Hogarth is a man in the comics. But they absolutely made the right choice, because that plot point would have held absolutely no interest if Hogarth had been TV's one zillionth overly powerful philandering man. An action-adventure that revolves mainly around the relationship between women--were there any that interrupt the line to Trish and Jessica from Xena and Gabrielle?

I hope Melissa Rosenberg gets significant writing work in the future Defenders show, so that Jessica stays a real character instead of getting the usual MCU treatment for female teammates. It was especially clear how much better work she was doing than the DD showrunners when (spoiler tag for final episode)
Rosario Dawson's character Claire showed up. In DD, Dawson is merely the best performer in a bad show; in JJ she got to say some decent lines and play against a small procession of good actors, and it made all the difference.

And here there are guys on the internet talking about how JJ is pretty good but not as good as DD (or bad to DD's good), a perspective I just can't begin to understand. And for awhile DD had a higher Metacritic score, but I see that this injustice has been righted since then.

Irrelevant P.S.: The actors who play Malcolm and Cage are spectacularly attractive and I hope they are all feeling great today.

P.P.S: I think David Tennant's casting was so perfect because 1) of course he gave a terrific and spooky performance but also 2) while said performance was good enough to keep me immersed, the fact that it was David Tennant gave me a much-needed reminder that this was just a TV show and not real.
:heart: and :spacefem:

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Mon Jan 11, 20:40 2016

I frigging love Jessica Jones and I agree with everything Meppi said. With the exception of one thing. I have seen the hardboiled, traumatized noir private eye being female thing before. Once, with Veronica Mars. If you haven't seen the first season before I highly recommend it. Avoid spoilers though. Honestly my first thought when I started watching Jessica Jones was oh my god this should have been the veronica mars movie. (the actual movie is fairly lame fan pandering, honestly I wanted to see more film noir though... not the main male love interest in a navy uniform *irritated sigh*)

Fun fact: Kristen Ritter's in it.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Gnarlbanya

Post by Gnarlbanya » Tue Jan 12, 3:49 2016

Meppi, I'm with you on everything about JJ vs DD. I did like the DD villain's backstory, and like Foggy and Karen as characters, but aside from that it just isn't doing it for me. I guess after JJ I had really high expectations but it just seems a bit pedestrian (and the violence remains a real turn off for me). And I totally second your irrelevant PS and most certainly will be watching the Luke Cage series when that comes out.

araprado0214

Post by araprado0214 » Mon Mar 7, 19:31 2016

The Big Bang Theory and Criminal Minds. People have been trying to get me to watch Game of Thrones but I haven't got into it yet.
If you don't know how to accessorize properly, you don't know much about fashion.

Nerd1987

Post by Nerd1987 » Thu Mar 10, 0:13 2016

Always sunny. Reminds me there are dumber people out there than me.

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Thu Mar 10, 17:04 2016

We are watching Mad Men and ALL I WANT is for Betty Draper to read The Feminine Mystique.

Nerd1987

Post by Nerd1987 » Mon Mar 14, 13:28 2016

Portlandia is funny. They go so deep into their parodies that I can only watch a couple episodes at a time.