what's the last movie you saw?

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

user42

what's the last movie you saw?

Post by user42 » Sat Jul 18, 7:08 2015

This is a perpetual topic. It won't ever be locked and you can reply to it even if it hasn't had replies in a while.

For extra credit, rate your movie using the official spacefem house scale, 0 being the worst and 5 being the best:

Code: Select all

:0houses:  
:1house:  
:2houses:  
:3houses:  
:4houses:  
:5houses: 
:0houses:
:1house:
:5houses:

Sonic#

Re: what's the last movie you saw?

Post by Sonic# » Sat Jul 18, 8:23 2015

I watched The Rewrite on an air flight, intrigued by the college setting and some of the cast. It stars Hugh Grant as screenwriter Keith Michaels whose pitches aren't succeeding, partly because the producers really want strong female characters, and partly because he's been in a long depression after a divorce and growing distance with his son. So his agent gets him a job teaching in upstate New York. He reluctantly accepts, is dismayed by small town life, meets college students at Wendy's, and wakes up the next morning with Karen (Bella Heathcote).

At this point, I knew it was going to be bad. I watched on, because I wanted to see how the film handled a case of academic malpractice and how it would reach the romantic comedy it was trying to do.

The English department of the film is predictable. There's the stern-seeming chair who loves his wife and four daughters (J.K. Simmons), the Shakespeare professor who never quite connected to real life (Chris Elliott), the later British, the later American, the creative poet, and the no-shit-taking feminist professor (Alison Janney). Keith puts his foot in his mouth five seconds after meeting the feminist professor, dismissing Jane Austen as a writer without knowing much of what she's written.

Then rather than reading sample screenplays to choose students for the class he will be teaching, he goes on social media and mostly picks cute girls along with two guys. One of the applicants, Holly (Marisa Tomei), demands to know why her script didn't make it. She's plucky, a nontraditional sophomore student and a single mother, and Keith is intrigued enough to read her script and then accept her to the class.

That's all the pieces. From there, the story is pretty stock romantic comedy fare. Keith comes to rue his affair with Karen after he learns there are university rules against it (unmentioned are human decency rules), and the feminist professor threatens to have him removed. Holly and Keith learn from one another and grow together over the course of the film. Keith turns from being a terrible teacher to a pretty decent one. He realizes he likes teaching, and manages to convince the feminist professor to give him a third chance. One of the two boy writers in the class writes a script so good that Keith manages to give him a leg up in the industry.

Summarily, everything ends up well for a forty-something year-old man who needs a back-up career after screenwriting and who didn't know before the film started that it's a bad idea to sleep with 19 year olds who want to take your course.

:1house: for Alison Janney, J.K. Simmons, and most of the cast, who work well with what they're given.

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Sat Jul 18, 9:04 2015

I saw Inside Out a few weeks ago. For those who haven't heard of it by now, it takes place mostly inside the brain of a twelve-year-old girl, Riley. Her moods are controlled by five characters/emotions: Joy, Sadness, Fear, Anger, and Disgust. Riley's family moves across the country, and while she's trying to deal with the move, Joy and Sadness get lost in long-term memory storage. With only Fear, Anger, and Disgust at the helm, things go pretty badly.

I enjoyed the movie a lot. My family moved when I was a few years older than Riley, which made me relate strongly to her. Since it's aimed at kids, some of it was a little bit simplistic or unsubtle, but not to the point where adults can't enjoy it too. I rate it at 4 houses: :4houses:

Zeph

Post by Zeph » Sat Jul 18, 11:08 2015

I just saw Train Wreck in theaters and Inside Out twice in theaters. I would recommend both.

Train Wreck :house: :house: :house: :house:

Inside Out :house: :house: :house: :house: :house:

spacefem

Post by spacefem » Sat Jul 18, 20:10 2015

I watched this documentary on netflix called The Source Family, about this sort of weird psychedelic health nut hippie cult in California in the 1970s. They all really wanted to take care of themselves and each other until the leader mostly also wanted more wives and then things started getting weird. Also, 140 people living in a house with three bathrooms, hmmm. It was well done though. I give it :4houses:
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

Aum

Post by Aum » Sun Jul 19, 0:44 2015

I watched Paradise Road. It's a true story about a group of English women who ended up in a Japanese internment camp in Sumatra after bombers sank their ship escaping from Singapore. Their rebellion comes in the form of setting up a vocal orchestra in the camp. I'd give it 4/5... considering it was made in 1989 and showed polite-society English ladies getting set on fire and truly tormented. (I only say that because I've noted that most movies like that pre-1995 try to shield viewers from violence against the privileged, mostly.)
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

cwbyrvr

Post by cwbyrvr » Sun Jul 19, 21:49 2015

Inside Out. It was pretty good. I expected it to be a bit sadder, but I did tear up a bit.
spacefem wrote:incidently, hearing "i love you" doesn't count if you're naked. it's just too easy to love a naked person.
Rainbow Dolphins wrote:My armpits are the only area of my body that almost always stays clean-shaven, because if I let it go I feel like a 15-year-old boy trying to grow a beard. In my armpits.

spacefem

Post by spacefem » Mon Jul 20, 4:09 2015

I watched "The Search for General Tso" on netflix. It starts out on a journey to discover who was this ancient chinese general and why did he make up such a great chicken recipe, but it turns into a story about immigration in America. All these people were part of a marginalized minority, so they had to start their own businesses since nobody would hire them, and restaurants are one of those things you can do on your own. Chinese people knew they had to spread out to different cities so they wouldn't compete with each other, but still talked to one another and kept up their networks. So they all worked together to figure out okay, what do these americans like to eat? Fried stuff! salty! and they love sauces! so that's how we got to have this genre of "chinese food" which has little or nothing to do with what people eat in china.

It was interesting but just a warning it made me super hungry and I polished off this whole pile of leftover chicken wings we had in our fridge, they kept showing all this food and these chefs going "Americans just love this..." and I was like "yeah we DO"

bork can eat steak with a spoon.

Veggie

Post by Veggie » Mon Jul 20, 6:19 2015

Ant-Man. It was better than it should have been, but lord am I over all this Marvel business.
To quote a bible, "The water monster is right, Catman. They are among us."

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Mon Jul 20, 7:36 2015

Ant-Man. Agree with Veggie. It was dumb fun, but it WAS fun.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

rowan

Post by rowan » Mon Jul 20, 10:56 2015

I watch Mad Max most recently, and before that the latest whatever-avengers thing was out.

I liked Mad Max. My husband didn't so much, but when I asked him he was like "I thought there'd be more plot" and I was like... uh... dude, it's a Mad Max movie. I thought it actually had a lot of plot for Mad Max. I guess expectations can really make or break a movie.

Mad Max: :5houses: with Mad Max expectations, :3houses: with higher expectations
Avengers: :4houses:

Probably going to see Inside Out next so I can determine if the kid will be up for watching it. Ant-Man I'm kind of iffy on, even though I've heard some good things.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Tweek

Post by Tweek » Thu Jul 30, 23:25 2015

The last movie I watched at the cinema was The Usual Suspects; a really good thriller. :5houses:

The last film I watched on DVD was the bone crunching Thai film Chocolate :4houses:

Click on the links to read the reviews I posted on the IMDb.
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

Meperidine

Post by Meperidine » Fri Jul 31, 1:56 2015

Jupiter Ascending the other night. Heard it was fun/spectacular/bad, and hoo boy I was not at all disappointed.

Jupiter is the main character's actual name, for starters.

Channing Tatum is her half-werewolf, half-surfboard love interest who rides around on space heelies

Sense8 fans: Riley and Sun are both in it, and sun has a crazy hairdo and rides a flying motorcycle and her existence is totally unexplained

Eddie Redmayne is just ridiculous, it needs to be seen to be believed, but I can say he looks like a Botox accident and speaks in a weird creepy whisper-scream

Jupiter is extremely gullible. Every time she meets a new space person, they're like "don't trust the last space person you talked to! Trust me!" And she's like "okay!" And then the next space person is like "no no don't trust those other space people. Trust me!" And she's like "okay!" And then the next space person comes along, etc.

Tl;dr fantastic way to kill an evening if you like goofy high-budget space drama. :3houses: at most for actual quality but probably a whole extra house for how much I enjoyed experiencing the madness.

Last movie I saw in a theater was Mad Max and it was fucking sublime, :5houses: for sure.
:heart: and :spacefem:

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Fri Jul 31, 7:05 2015

I saw The Birdcage last night. I was very pleased by it. It's a comedy about a gay nightclub owner Armand and his drag performing partner. Armand's son Val visits and tells his father that he is engaged to the daughter of a prominent Republican politician, and the couple soon learns that they're coming for dinner - and they think Val's parents are straight and proper.

That's the setup. The film was very funny, a combination of character acting, verbal wit, and absurd situations, so that the film doesn't rely only on the gag of seeing men in women's clothes. The acting was great - Robin Williams and Nathan Lane play their characters with physical wit and emotional charm, Gene Hackman and Dianne West do a political power couple with gradually emerging quirks, and I'd only say good things about the rest.

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Fri Jul 31, 7:21 2015

Re-watched Sympathy for Lady Vengeance last night. IMDB Summary: "After a 13-year imprisonment for the kidnap and murder of a 6 year old boy, beautiful Lee Guem-ja starts seeking revenge... [S]he gets closer and closer to her goal. But will her actions lead to the relief she seeks?"

It says something that I'd re-watch a subbed Korean film, but I really, really like it. This is the third and final installment in the Vengeance Trilogy (along with Oldboy and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance). It is a great piece of storytelling, confusing at first due to some flashbacks, but about halfway through the movie you can keep track of what's going on and enjoy the rest of the film without having to scratch your head. Considering the movie IS about revenge, the amount of violence seems reasonable. Smart, thrilling, and thought provoking. :4houses: because I am stingy by nature.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Veggie

Post by Veggie » Fri Jul 31, 16:25 2015

Like Zeph, I too have recently seen Trainwreck. I, however, was not impressed. I feel like she wasn't that much of a "Trainwreck" before she met whatever Bill Hader's character's name was - yes, she drank, slept around and smoked a little weed, but she held down a pretty respectable job. She had friends. When she got fired from that job, she got a new job super quickly. To me that says she was probably a really talented writer. I love Inside Amy Schumer. It's one of the best things on television right now in my opinion. I feel like she completely wasted that R rating. ISA pushes boundaries all the time, and she could have done so much more in the context of a film as far as raunchiness is concerned, and I feel like Judd Apatow definitely pushed his weird "Everyone should have kids and a family" bullshit agenda into this film. (Keep in mind I don't think it's wrong if that's what someone wants to do - I'm just saying if you don't want kids or to settle down there isn't anything wrong with that either.) There were parts of it that were funny to me, but overall it was too long and kind of boring. It was really just a well-packaged Rom-Com, and I wanted a pure comedy.

To quote a bible, "The water monster is right, Catman. They are among us."

Storage and Disposal

Post by Storage and Disposal » Fri Jul 31, 16:38 2015

DarkOne wrote:
It says something that I'd re-watch a subbed Korean film, but I really, really like it. This is the third and final installment in the Vengeance Trilogy (along with Oldboy and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance). It is a great piece of storytelling, confusing at first due to some flashbacks, but about halfway through the movie you can keep track of what's going on and enjoy the rest of the film without having to scratch your head. Considering the movie IS about revenge, the amount of violence seems reasonable. Smart, thrilling, and thought provoking. :4houses: because I am stingy by nature.
I've been meaning to show RD this. I keep promising that it isn't as much of a downer as the first two.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Fri Jul 31, 19:48 2015

Storage and Disposal wrote: I've been meaning to show RD this. I keep promising that it isn't as much of a downer as the first two.
I agree that Lady Vengeance has a more satisfying, The Crow-ish ending. But Old Boy was pretty damned good despite everyone feeling dirty at the end. Definitely worth watching these. Mr. Vengeance is on my To Watch list.

Rainbow Dolphins

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Sat Aug 1, 19:59 2015

^I really like Oldboy but it is suuuper depressing. I would like to see Lady Vengeance.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

AndrewZealand

Post by AndrewZealand » Mon Aug 24, 18:48 2015

Veggie wrote:Like Zeph, I too have recently seen Trainwreck.
I too.

I read the brief on the film and though "Nahh"...then I read that Amy Shumer was playing the lead and thought "Hmmm, maybe". I'd seen some of her stuff and I'd been given a movie voucher. So I went to see it and about 2/3 of the way through I thought "Nahhhh" and walked out. It's the third movie I've walked out of. Sometimes I just think "I have better things I could be doing than watching the rest of this movie".

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Mon Aug 24, 20:22 2015

Snowpiercer. Class warfare on a train. Postapocalyptic. Good effects and effective design. Great acting. Feels a bit odd in a magical realist way, but in no way actually involves magical realism. Spoiler to explain:
Just the implausibility of the whole setup, including the very notion of a train surviving the apocalypse and a forever-machine. It's intriguingly implausible - it's fascinating.

monk

Post by monk » Mon Aug 24, 20:57 2015

Just watched Agent 47. It was so so. Saw Straight Outa Compton a few nights ago, it was better than expected.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
Sonic# wrote:If these opinions don't matter to you at all, then you are unfit for conversation

Lab Rat

Post by Lab Rat » Tue Aug 25, 15:21 2015

Just rented Wreck-it Ralph. It was a really good movie. :)

Storage and Disposal

Post by Storage and Disposal » Tue Aug 25, 20:42 2015

Just saw the two new Dragonball Z movies. They're great, but only if you already really like Dragonball Z. :4houses: for DBZ fans, but don't even bother if you aren't. I doubt they can stand on their own.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Wed Aug 26, 8:56 2015

Storage and Disposal wrote:Just saw the two new Dragonball Z movies. They're great, but only if you already really like Dragonball Z. :4houses: for DBZ fans, but don't even bother if you aren't. I doubt they can stand on their own.
Which two??? A few weeks ago I couldn't fall asleep and YouTubed the SS3 powerups just for fun. "AAAAaaaaa... aaaaaa... aaaah" :heart: