what's the last movie you saw?

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Tweek

Re: what's the last movie you saw?

Post by Tweek » Mon Aug 14, 9:38 2017

Last film I watched was the 1978 animated version of The Lord of the Rings; I first watched it when it was new so rewatching it was pretty nostalgic. Just a shame it was never finished. :3houses:
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Tue Aug 29, 13:10 2017

I last watched "Manderlay" which was a sequel to "Dogville" though it stands on its own. I'm having a hard time unpacking and dealing with this movie. That's generally a good sign, but I'm wondering if it handled its subject (plantation slavery in the U.S. 70 years after emancipation) well enough to have not caused more problems than it surfaced to comment upon. I seem to be really drawn to the Danish director though, Lars von Trier, and have watched more of his films than I realized ("Nymphomaniac", "Antichrist", "Dancer in the Dark"). And he wrote the screenplay for "Dear Wendy", which is almost obvious if you've seen "Dogville". Then I realize that he is one of the main people behind Dogme 95,
Wikipedia wrote:Shooting must be done on location. Props and sets must not be brought in (if a particular prop is necessary for the story, a location must be chosen where this prop is to be found).
The sound must never be produced apart from the images or vice versa. (Music must not be used unless it occurs where the scene is being shot.)
The camera must be hand-held. Any movement or immobility attainable in the hand is permitted.
The film must be in colour. Special lighting is not acceptable. (If there is too little light for exposure the scene must be cut or a single lamp be attached to the camera).
Optical work and filters are forbidden.
The film must not contain superficial action. (Murders, weapons, etc. must not occur.)
Temporal and geographical alienation are forbidden. (That is to say that the film takes place here and now).
Genre movies are not acceptable.
The film format must be Academy 35 mm.
The director must not be credited.
which is what led me to watch "Festen" ("The Party"), and I'm still thinking about how seamless that film was.
Bringing it back, one of the incredible things about "Manderlay" was showing this wealthy white girl who comes in and wants to be these people's savior and why that's such a problem. I want to give this movie :5houses: / :5houses: because it's giving me exactly what I seek out in movies, but at the same time, I would be careful about to whom I recommend it.

Tweek

Post by Tweek » Thu Aug 31, 8:23 2017

'Manderlay' and 'Dogville' certainly are unusual films; worth watching though.

Last film I was the 1996 version of 'Twelfth Night'. I thought it was pretty good; surprising that jokes written four hundred years ago were still pretty funny. :4houses:
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

Jackninja5

Post by Jackninja5 » Fri Sep 15, 18:40 2017

Tomorrow When the War Began.
That's why we won't back down
We won't run and hide
'Cause these are the things we can't deny
I'm passing over you like a satellite
So catch me if I fall
That's why you stick to your game plans and party lives
But at night we're conspiring by candlelight
We are the orphans of the American dreams
Oh shine your light on me

Skeezy

Post by Skeezy » Mon Sep 18, 12:02 2017

Baby Driver.

Not awesome or stunning but interesting and relatable and at the very least, watchable.

The driving in the movie is acceptably good with some sequences that were given some thought. The movie doesnt really seem to live in reality at times but partly due to the main character.

The leading of two seperate lives is what I relate to. This being part of the story made me like the movie a little more.

Towards the end it gets kind of silly with a lot of things that would never happen. Its like towards the end lets just throw character personas out the window for the sake of continuation to the ending. The ending itself I also have mixed feelings about.

All in all I give it a
:3houses:

Watchable, you might even watch again later at some point but probably not going to watch it again for a loong loong time.

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Mon Sep 18, 18:00 2017

I watched Say Anything which somehow I hadn't seen before and was surprised to find it was really pretty good! It aged a lot better then most 80s romantic comedies.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Tue Sep 19, 7:36 2017

Say Anything came up last night on a Modern Family rerun that interrupted my reading.

I saw Dredd again. Still one of my favorite action films this decade.

geldofc

Post by geldofc » Thu Sep 21, 0:35 2017

spacefem wrote:
Mon Sep 7, 16:46 2015
I saw Lost Angels: Skid Row Is My Home (2010) on netflix.

highly recommend it! it's a very good look at what happens when we shift resources from mental institutions to prisons, tell homeless people that it's illegal for them to exist, and hire police chiefs who are more concerned with the broken window theory than actually helping people (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory) - basically they run around hassling people who "look bad" rather than going after real criminals, it's just awful.

so watch this documentary. it's a commentary on what's wrong with america right now. I give it :5houses:

Lab Rat wrote:Just rented Wreck-it Ralph. It was a really good movie. :)
yes it is! one of my kiddos favorites - maybe because there's a world of candy? but it's cute. and I love the soundtrack.

the ending was stupid, like dammit why did they have to suddenly make her a princess? oh every girl has to be a princess, gotta have that option? but if you forgive those two minutes, it's wonderful.
that was a good doc! i like reading and watching things abt skid row.
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

Storage and Disposal

Post by Storage and Disposal » Sat Sep 23, 18:22 2017

Saw Ice Cream Man for the first time since I was a teenager. I totally thought it was a different movie, but still pretty funny.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Sat Sep 23, 20:01 2017

Saw Legally Blonde. I still like the film personally (great acting shines through an otherwise formulaic plot), though it has some problems - concluding a man is gay because he recognizes the line of shoes she wears, for example. :3houses:

Neko

Post by Neko » Sun Sep 24, 23:25 2017

I enjoyed the new IT. That's not saying much. The movie theater here has reclining seats and a liquor license. I would enjoy just about anything.

In any case, it was a tropefest of jumpscares with a few genuinely creepy moments. The actor who played the school bully was convincing and arguably more unsettling than the heavily telegraphed something-spooky-gonna-happen-to-this-kid-cause-they-alone scenes.

I haven't read the book and most likely won't. Though there is some criticism of the way Bev is characterized in the movie vs the book.
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth:

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Sep 25, 13:53 2017

Famous "Great Gatsby" :rainbowsmile: A good movie but a rather complicated for uderstanding... :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great ... 2013_film)

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Mon Oct 2, 18:12 2017

Just rewatched Dirty Dancing. "I carried a watermelon"
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

geldofc

Post by geldofc » Tue Oct 3, 14:33 2017

i watched lady gaga's documentary gaga: five foot two. IMO she's the greatest pop star around. she speaks on some feminist points in the doc. she said even, i believe, certain male producers (one named Mark with fluffy hair) expect her to take their abuse. they get away w doing it to other women around her because of their perceived power.
they also show gaga singing a piano version of bad romance which is excellent! :rainbowsmile:
:gf: :devil: :syringe: