what's the last movie you saw?

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Rainbow Dolphins

Re: what's the last movie you saw?

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Sun Jan 17, 23:14 2016

^I watched the first twilight movie because it was filmed in the small town I lived in at the time, it was fun seeing streets I knew in a movie.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Mon Jan 18, 17:57 2016

Yeah, a little bit of Heroes Reborn was filmed right where I grew up and Hannibal is actually filmed in my university. It's pretty cool but it does make it harder to get into the show though. It's actually funny because a huge amount of Hollywood stuff is filmed here because it's cheaper and they pretend it's like new york or something. Just know.. you're watching Canada way more often than you realize.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Mon Jan 18, 18:50 2016

Parts of The Avengers and Captain America: Winter Soldier was also filmed here, so it wasn't the first time I've seen my town onscreen, but it was the first time it wasn't pretending to be somewhere else.

Rainbow Dolphins

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Tue Jan 19, 0:00 2016

Enigma wrote:Yeah, a little bit of Heroes Reborn was filmed right where I grew up and Hannibal is actually filmed in my university. It's pretty cool but it does make it harder to get into the show though. It's actually funny because a huge amount of Hollywood stuff is filmed here because it's cheaper and they pretend it's like new york or something. Just know.. you're watching Canada way more often than you realize.
I actually knew about this! I remember watching some movie set in Washington state (I lived there at the time) and every other scene we were like "ha that's totally Canada."
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats

Unvoiced_Apollo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Tue Jan 19, 5:34 2016

The Revenant: :3houses:.5

The Big Short: :4houses:

Spotlight: :4houses:.5

Rainbow Dolphins

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Fri Jan 22, 21:54 2016

We watched Chef last night, I liked it quite a bit. Cool food and a good story that captured the soul of the industry pretty well.

Eravial

Post by Eravial » Sun Jan 24, 13:54 2016

I finally got around to watching Birdman last night and thought it was fantastic. Before that was Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and before that, I really have no idea. I haven't been watching full-length films much at all since starting grad school.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
Dizzy with possibility

Unvoiced_Apollo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Tue Jan 26, 7:36 2016

The visit: :2houses:.5. Fun, average movie using M. Night's take on found footage. Builds a good atmosphere as well without relying on LOUD NOISES to scare you. So, pretty good for a Shyamalan movie.

Pan: :1house: Loved the idea, but everything you could do wrong with a,movie from terrible cartoony CGI, to random modern songs being sung, to whitewashing characters. I couldn't help but laugh when they try to set up the sequel.

The Wind Rises: :4houses: Hayao Miyazako's last movie for now. As usual, very creative visuals & a lot of set up. The only issue is that this is based on a very real person (a chief engineer of many Japanese WWII fighter plans) and is even more fictionalized than The Revenant. It's so fuctionalized it's almost analagous to what Frozen djd to the fairy tales its based on. Still, I was engagged and the English dub distributed by Touchstone has a great cast (Joseph Gordon Levitt, Emily Blount, John Krasinski, Stanley Tucci, Martin Short, & Mandy Patinkin)

Unvoiced_Apollo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Sat Jan 30, 22:30 2016

Kung Fu Panda 3: Really fun & funny end to the trilogy. Slight rehash of the first & second, but still great animation and darn good story. :4houses:
Last edited by Unvoiced_Apollo on Mon Feb 1, 7:51 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Storage and Disposal

Post by Storage and Disposal » Sun Jan 31, 0:37 2016

Not the last movie I saw, but as far as The Wind Rises goes, I simply didn't find it very engaging. It was nice seeing him handle adult material! He hasn't done that since Princess Mononoke. It was kind of too little too late though. His characters seem far more flat than they used to be. Still, it was enjoyable for what it was. I haven't brought myself to watch the English version. I don't mind the fictionalization of a real historical person. It's happened a lot in great movies in the past and doesn't take away from the movie experience for me. I give it :3houses: .5

The Tale of Princess Kaguya, on the other hand, was simply fantastic! Seriously, it's one of the best movies that came out of that studio. :5houses:
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

Unvoiced_Apollo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Mon Feb 1, 7:51 2016

The Secret World of Arrietty - I was more engaged with this movie than most of Miyazaki's work. Definitely better than the John Goodman version and not nearly as weord as Ponyo. :4houses:

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Mon Feb 1, 9:19 2016

King Arthur, the 2004 version with Keira Knightley and Clive Owen. I taught the film as a part of a class on King Arthur. It's solid action fare with a Strong Female Character, Arthur as a late Roman version of John Locke, a strongly suggested rape intended to make the villain look more evil (
he stops one of his men from raping a woman because she's not of the same blood, kills him, and then orders her killed
), and plenty of male banter about large penises and what they do with them.

This excerpt highlights some of the humor of the film, in a scene where the knights and Guinevere are readying for battle on the ice to cover the caravan that is fleeing.
Lancelot: You look frightened. There's a large number of lonely men out there.
Guinevere: Don't worry, I won't let them rape you.

It shows that Guinevere is "one of the guys," able to banter on their level. Her response also makes Lancelot out to be a dick, calling him out on the insinuation and indicating that he too would be vulnerable. It also echoes the contemporary reduced way of using "rape" as a way to banter about being beaten or losing, even though we've already seen that rape is a possibility. I find it difficult to get over that last part. So, to me, it still comes off as a hypermasculine take on knighthood, even if there are occasional challenges to that with Guinevere and with the introduction of Bors's wife and kids, who seem important to him.

:3houses: if it were strict action fare, :2houses: for predictability of motifs about women, and :1house: for historians because the film suggests without blinking that it's based in recent archaeological evidence when that's not the case.

Storage and Disposal

Post by Storage and Disposal » Mon Feb 1, 10:32 2016

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:The Secret World of Arrietty - I was more engaged with this movie than most of Miyazaki's work. Definitely better than the John Goodman version and not nearly as weord as Ponyo. :4houses:
It was definitely better than Ponyo, I'll give agree with that. I should rank all of that studio's films some time, just to see how they stand. Ponyo would probably be fairly close to the bottom. I'd still give it :3houses: though.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

Unvoiced_Apollo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Wed Feb 3, 4:41 2016

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (1937) :3houses:.5

Unvoiced_Apollo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Thu Feb 4, 7:37 2016

Enchanted :3houses:.5

Unvoiced_Apollo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Fri Feb 5, 13:15 2016

Hail, Caesar! - Standard Coen Brothers fare. If you like them, you should like this. Not one of their better movies, but Brolin as the fixer helps keep things moving even though the movies in movies moght interrupt from tome to time :3houses:.4 houses

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Fri Feb 5, 20:27 2016

I just saw The Hunting Ground which is an amazing documentary about campus rape on Netflix. It kind of broke my heart and now I'm filled with undefined rage and need to look up Canadian stats immediately and possibly also immediately protest somehow.

:5houses:
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

spacefem

Post by spacefem » Tue Feb 9, 13:15 2016

Thanks For Sharing. It's about sex addiction. Pink is in it and gives a darn good performance! At times it feels very first world/white people problems-centric, but as a background movie, not bad.

:3houses:

Ponyo isn't weird. She loves ham!
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

Meperidine

Post by Meperidine » Tue Feb 9, 13:52 2016

Ponyo was the most laid-back apocalypse of all time. I kept feeling like we were supposed to have the idea that these people's lives were on the edge of destruction by the forces of nature, but then the storm hits and...everyone's just chilling and boating with the giant fish? During the underwater bubble house scene I was like, "Is the idea that they are all dead right now and in their underwater afterlife?"

It was odd. Pretty though! Eye starts to twitch as soon as I even think of the ending credits song though.
:heart: and :spacefem:

barbarella

Post by barbarella » Thu Feb 11, 7:45 2016

The Revenant with Leo. :dance2:
Hubby talked me into going and I only went because I have a soft spot for him.( Thats Leo, not the galoot I married) but I really enjoyed it .

Unvoiced_Apollo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Wed Feb 17, 10:03 2016

Deadpool : Decent, a few forced jokes. :3houses:.75

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Wed Feb 17, 19:23 2016

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:Deadpool : Decent, a few forced jokes. :3houses:.75
Deadpool - Loved it, hilarious. :4houses:

Unvoiced_Apollo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Fri Feb 19, 7:32 2016

Oscar nominated shorts:

Bear Story: :4houses:.5 - Should win
Sanjay's Super Team :3houses:.5 - will win
We Can't Live Without Cosmos - :3houses:
The World of Tomorrow - :3houses:.5
Prologue - :3houses:

artemiscuous

Post by artemiscuous » Fri Feb 19, 16:21 2016

I saw Deadpool. I really enjoyed it, thought it was hilarious, although I felt that I would have loved it even more ten years ago when I was in college. Amazing soundtrack, also.

Nerd1987

Post by Nerd1987 » Sun Feb 21, 16:14 2016

Dead pool. It kept my attention and had a good ending.