Bad Feminist

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Enigma

Bad Feminist

Post by Enigma » Tue Nov 3, 15:49 2015

I was pretty excited to read Bad Feminist because it was all over the place for a bit there and a best selling book about feminism (!). I was hoping for a discussion of the areas feminism could improve, something of a critique from the inside. I was surprised reading it though that it was actually only kind of a book about feminism. It was a collection of personal essays some of which are quite feminist, many of which are insightful, framed in a loosely written rejection of strawman feminism. It was kind of odd.

Have any of you read this? Was this the impression you got? I'm not sure how much of my opinion is due to my expectations.

I still give it :4houses: for being a good book.. just not what I expected.

edit because I did not include the author - by Roxane Gay
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Nerd1987

Re: Bad Feminist

Post by Nerd1987 » Tue Nov 3, 22:53 2015

The way you wrote your post makes me want to read this book. Like you didn't tell enough to satisfy my curiosity of what the book is

Rainbow Dolphins

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Fri Nov 6, 1:04 2015

I've never heard of it, I might give it a look.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

careme777

Post by careme777 » Wed Nov 25, 19:57 2015

I read some of the essays. Some of them I really enjoyed, but I didn't finish the book because I wasn't really interested in most of them. Literary criticism about books I haven't read is hard for me, even if the overall thesis of the essay is something I find interesting.

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Fri Nov 27, 16:45 2015

careme777 wrote:I read some of the essays. Some of them I really enjoyed, but I didn't finish the book because I wasn't really interested in most of them. Literary criticism about books I haven't read is hard for me, even if the overall thesis of the essay is something I find interesting.
Was it the sweet valley twins one? I have to admit I read a ton of those as a kid and found that part extremely interesting.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"