Batman V Superman Trailer review

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Storage and Disposal

Batman V Superman Trailer review

Post by Storage and Disposal » Thu Dec 3, 17:06 2015

Spoiler alert! The review of this trailer needs a warning. If you haven't seen it and want to avoid knowing too much, then don't watch it. They've shown way too much in this last trailer.
Hell, in the 49 second teaser alone, I was disappointed. I think Batman's unmasking would have made more of an impact if I saw it for the first time while watching the film.

The trailer opens great. The conversation between Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent was the best thing I've seen out of the trailers so far. The good qualities begin and end here for me, because we're immediately met with Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor. I'm going to fanboy out here and say that this would have been a great intro if he were playing Edward Nigma, but he isn't. And yeah, this is a much-hyped, new take on the character, but it really feels inadequate. I feel that his presence isn't going to bring a believable rivalry between him and Superman. We'll see though.

After this conversation, we're give a barrage of unconvincing CG, namely the Dark Knight Returns pose at 1:48. Really? They had to CG that?

Here are my big issues though. We're shown scenes of Lex Luthor stealing Zod's body and creating Doomsday (who looks pretty bad, by the way. It may as well have been a troll from The Lord of the Rings films) and having him fight Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman. Is this not the bulk of the third act? It seems like it to me. First we'll get some background on Batman, then Batman will go up against Superman, lose, then be unmasked by him. Then Doomsday, Wonder Woman thrown in haphazardly while a few other heroes will make small appearances throughout. They'll win at some minor cost and the end. They can't lose any of the big names because this isn't the Justice League film yet. This is basically, save for some minor details, what the film will probably be. Hopefully I'm wrong.

And judging from this trailer, there's just way too much going on. It's going to be random action sets with little development. I imagine I'm going to be pissed at Wonder Woman's lack of screen time. I can definitely see why the marvel films that came before The Avengers were a necessity. At best, I predict this'll be nothing more than a mindless action movie. At worst, well, I don't even want to think about it. I'd really like to be wrong about this, but I see no signs that I am. Affleck makes for a great Batman though.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

Aum

Re: Batman V Superman Trailer review

Post by Aum » Fri Dec 4, 0:58 2015

I don't have high hopes. I'm angry that Wonder Woman seemingly gets tossed in at the last third. She deserves her own movie. Why is Hollywood so reticent to make female superhero movies? Did The Hunger Games not demonstrate perfectly that there's a major audience for it?

As for Wonder Woman herself, it seems like they made no attempt to re-design her. Are people not aware that her whole getup, including the lasso of truth, is all an S&M analogue? How exactly is a glorified corset supposed to protect her from harm, when the male leads get full on suits of body armor? *cringe*

As an aside... I never understood the whole Batman vs. Superman thing. The only thing Batman can really do is use kryptonite. It's not like he can stand a chance against Superman.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Fri Dec 4, 8:07 2015

^ I don't know what it being "all an S&M analogue" means. Was the original writer William Moulton Marston into both kink and psychosexual ideas about women? Yes. Does that connection alone invalidate the design choices? I don't think it does. That feels too close to shaming by association to kink, similar to what happened to Mary Wollstonecraft's reputation just after her death.

The corset doesn't protect her from harm, any more than Superman's leotard does. Like Superman, it's how she uses her powers (strength, speed, wits) that protect her. As for the suit itself, its current styling seems closer to Hoplite armor to me: ImageImage
A Hoplite variant used to fight Medusa; a recreation of Spartan armorImageThe film version.

It *is* redesigned. Rather than going for the full leotard look, it employs a Hoplite-like skirt and emphasizes the bronze coloration. The main difference is the lack of cloth going over the shoulders. The style is not perfect (there's more thigh?), but it works.

Overall trends depicting women as scantily clad bother me. The fact we've gone over 70 years without a Wonder Woman film bothers me. The costume doesn't seem that bad.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Fri Dec 4, 8:15 2015

Aum wrote:I don't have high hopes. I'm angry that Wonder Woman seemingly gets tossed in at the last third. She deserves her own movie. Why is Hollywood so reticent to make female superhero movies? Did The Hunger Games not demonstrate perfectly that there's a major audience for it?
Hell, the successes of Snow White & Gone with the Wind in the 1930's should have proven there's an audience.

Rainbow Dolphins

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Sat Dec 5, 0:40 2015

Aum wrote:I don't have high hopes. I'm angry that Wonder Woman seemingly gets tossed in at the last third. She deserves her own movie. Why is Hollywood so reticent to make female superhero movies? Did The Hunger Games not demonstrate perfectly that there's a major audience for it?
I agree- also, how come every major player in the Disney marvel universe has had his own movie except black widow? She obviously has some interesting background and she's an important character.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

Unvoiced_Apollo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Sat Dec 5, 7:02 2015

Rainbow Dolphins wrote:
I agree- also, how come every major player in the Disney marvel universe has had his own movie except black widow? She obviously has some interesting background and she's an important character.
When did Hawkeye get his movie?

Storage and Disposal

Post by Storage and Disposal » Sat Dec 5, 11:54 2015

As far as Black Widow goes, at least she had a really nice co-starring role in the most recent Captain America movie. Still, there is no good reason Marvel has gone this far without having a woman super hero movie. You'd think one would pop up before Ant-Man! There's Captain Marvel, but she won't get here for another three and a half years. They're seriously going to make 20 films before they have one focused on a woman. Come on, Marvel.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

Aum

Post by Aum » Sat Dec 5, 17:55 2015

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:When did Hawkeye get his movie?
Hawk Eye is boring. Who cares :P
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Storage and Disposal

Post by Storage and Disposal » Sat Dec 5, 18:10 2015

^Pretty much. Poor Hawkeye. In the movies he's just kind of there and occasionally does something useful, but isn't given enough to do to count as one of the major players.

Rainbow Dolphins

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Sun Dec 6, 3:57 2015

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:
Rainbow Dolphins wrote:
When did Hawkeye get his movie?
I honestly don't even know who that is, and I have seen all these movies, some of them multiple times.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

rowan

Post by rowan » Sun Dec 6, 8:13 2015

He's the guy who shoots arrows,
whose house they stayed at for a while in Ultron.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

ladyhawk

Post by ladyhawk » Sun Dec 6, 13:26 2015

As an aside, they actually ARE making a Wonder Woman movie. I think they're putting Wonder Woman in this movie to itroduce her before her own movie is released. The release is scheduled for 2017.

Also, Batman is a planner. In one comic book series, Batman has a contingency plan to destroy each member of the Justice League in case any of them turns evil. Batman's plan for Superman was a Kryptonite bullet -- the idea being that the Kryptonite bullet would puncture Superman's skin and kill him slowly from the inside, and that no man made tools would be able to remove the bullet.
Then, the Legion of Doom gets ahold of Batman's plans and ends up shooting Superman with a Kryptonite bullet. Of course, Batman also had a counter-contingency plan for his contingency plan, and was able to remove the bullet with a Kryptonite knife he had made. Of course.

Realistically, I do think Superman could destroy Batman in a blink (which hurts to admit, because you can obviously tell I'm a huge Batman fan) but I think if anyone stood even a small chance, it would be Bruce Wayne.
Come, Maurice. What's a simple bite on the buttocks among friends? Here -- give me a nibble!

Storage and Disposal

Post by Storage and Disposal » Sun Dec 6, 16:16 2015

^Yeah, they made that into an animated movie called Justice League Doom. Pretty damn good. It's probably better than what this turd is going to be.

It's hard to really talk about Superman and who could beat him. His powers vary drastically depending on the writer. Sometimes he can move faster than the speed of thought, which puts just about everyone in the DC universe that aren't Gods or certain Flashes out of commission. Sometimes magical characters can make short work of him. Batman has beaten him a number of times simply by manipulating him.

ladyhawk

Post by ladyhawk » Sun Dec 6, 17:30 2015

^My husband and I were discussing that earlier. All superheros vary greatly, depending on just how super the writer decides they are at the time.

As much as I love Batman, it does seem ridiculous at times how he has a plan for everything. They actually poke fun at that exact thing in an issue of Swamp Thing, when he has to get Batman's help to defeat The Rot.

Also, here's this:

Come, Maurice. What's a simple bite on the buttocks among friends? Here -- give me a nibble!

Unvoiced_Apollo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Wed Dec 9, 14:11 2015

ladyhawk wrote:As an aside, they actually ARE making a Wonder Woman movie. I think they're putting Wonder Woman in this movie to itroduce her before her own movie is released. The release is scheduled for 2017.

Also, Batman is a planner. In one comic book series, Batman has a contingency plan to destroy each member of the Justice League in case any of them turns evil. Batman's plan for Superman was a Kryptonite bullet -- the idea being that the Kryptonite bullet would puncture Superman's skin and kill him slowly from the inside, and that no man made tools would be able to remove the bullet.
Then, the Legion of Doom gets ahold of Batman's plans and ends up shooting Superman with a Kryptonite bullet. Of course, Batman also had a counter-contingency plan for his contingency plan, and was able to remove the bullet with a Kryptonite knife he had made. Of course.

Realistically, I do think Superman could destroy Batman in a blink (which hurts to admit, because you can obviously tell I'm a huge Batman fan) but I think if anyone stood even a small chance, it would be Bruce Wayne.

Really the only reason Batman can win is preparation & moral code. Superman is traditionally seen as a boy scout and places mental limitations on himself so he won't kill people with a flick of his fingerm. Batman has two rules: no guns, and no killing. And he constantly breaks at least one in some fashion. Batman exploit's his enemies' weaknesses, and Superman's self-imposed limitations combined with Batman's preparedness is what makes him dangerous to even the man of steel.

But as you say, morals off, no amount wilk save Batman

Storage and Disposal

Post by Storage and Disposal » Wed Dec 9, 16:19 2015

Yeah, you can't think your way out of a danger that can kill you before you even have time to think about it.

Batman breaks his no killing rule in (almost?) all the Nolan movies. That's my biggest issue with them, honestly. The Batman I grew up with doesn't break that rule.

Aum

Post by Aum » Wed Dec 9, 20:37 2015

Actually, I have to say, that in most of the comic book canon and even the animated movies, they show Batman's edge. The people who are practically invincible like Superman and Wonder Woman don't think things through as much because they are so used to using raw power to win the battle. We see this play out in Superman/Batman Apocalypse.

It makes sense. People with super powers are not going to have carefully developed strategic minds because they don't need them. If you're just a run of the mill billionaire average joe human, you need a lot more ingenuity.

That said... if the only thing that can really stop Superman is kryptonite, then all he has to do is make sure there's none left on Earth and nobody can stop him.