Vegetarian kosher food suggestions

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

antfancier

Vegetarian kosher food suggestions

Post by antfancier » Fri Dec 11, 19:19 2015

I have to bring food for ten people to a meeting next week. I don't have to provide a full-blown meal for everyone, but plenty of snacks (half of us are pregnant). Also has to be kosher and vegetarian. Any suggestions for something that's not pizza or falafel+salad (people already brought those previously). I'd prefer to buy rather than cook because I get really flustered when making anything for more than three people. All I can think of is fruit, which would be kinda boring. Any ideas?

rowan

Re: Vegetarian kosher food suggestions

Post by rowan » Fri Dec 11, 21:35 2015

vegetarian chili-nachos? I know you said not make but if you wanted & have a crock pot you could make enough veggie chili and buy chips & buy grated cheese & just have people assemble their own nachos. Or you could just buy veggie chili.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Sat Dec 12, 11:04 2015

The great thing is that the vegetarian requirement makes it so much easier to be kosher - no worries about kosher meat or mixing meat and dairy. However, if you're buying something, you should probably make sure it has a hechsher on it. Fresh fruit & veggies won't need one, but anything packaged will. Some people are also really picky and will accept some certifications but not others, so it might be wise to ask the most observant person what their requirements are.

As for food itself, you could bring falafel accompaniments - pita bread, tomato/cucumber salad, hummus. Or chips (or veggie tray) and salsa/dip. If putting frozen things in the oven doesn't violate your no-cook rule, check out the frozen appetizers section of your grocery -mine carries some really good vegetarian spring rolls.

antfancier

Post by antfancier » Sun Dec 20, 20:19 2015

Thanks for the suggestions and advice!

I decided to make a vegetarian chili, but then at the last minute I worried my crockpot wouldn't be big enough (none of my pots and pans are 'family' size, which is why I have such a hard time cooking large portions). So then I had the brilliant idea of vegetarian empanadas! Luckily I decided to check with the host before I ordered and found that they can only eat from a few very specific kosher restaurants (explains why everyone else brought pizza/falafels). I ended up bringing a bunch of different dips with pita and some potato-filled pastries, all of which were delicious and seemed to go down well. Also, I now know where to go when I want the best babaganoush.