'Dennis the Menace' comic takes on the bias against animation

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Unvoiced_Apollo

'Dennis the Menace' comic takes on the bias against animation

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Wed Jan 20, 7:35 2016

This is the underlying reason I reacted so viscerally to Norm of the North. There seems to be a real bias against animated films as "just for kids" all because of the chosen medium. It's assumed there is no merit in them for adults just because the movie is not live action. It's why Anomalisa, a critically acclaimed, Rated R stop motion feature has only a limited release and needs a nomination simply to get more attention. It's why both it and Inside Out (which has nearly the same RT rating as Mad Max) are being ignored for Best Picture and relegated to Best Animated Feature Film. Animation does not get the respect it truly deserves.

rowan

Re: 'Dennis the Menace' comic takes on the bias against animation

Post by rowan » Thu Jan 21, 12:52 2016

I love a lot of animated films. And puppets. There's some really good stuff. Bad movies are bad movies, not limited to medium.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Unvoiced_Apollo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Thu Jan 21, 17:37 2016

rowan wrote:I love a lot of animated films. And puppets. There's some really good stuff. Bad movies are bad movies, not limited to medium.
I just wish more adults would realize this. I'm part of a meetup group and if given the choice, they'd choose London Has Fallen over Zootopia.

Aum

Post by Aum » Thu Jan 21, 18:12 2016

It's hard to take people seriously when they don't understand the difference between puppets and animatronics. I was watching Alien 2 with a friend and when Ripley is fighting the Queen, my friend said, "Oh whatever, she's just fighting a puppet!"

!!!

Like, seriously? Those creatures on Farscape are NOT puppets. They are complex devices that cost tens of thousands to make, and they're an attempt to make the series richer. I love Star Trek but the aliens are always humanoid. There are few productions where they put serious effort into making the universe really, truly alien.

As for animation... it depends. I find a lot of the 3D animation movies kind of generic. Maybe it's because there's a lot less dynamism in animation. The plots also usually follow the same formula, more or less. I don't like "all ages" movies because I always find myself thinking, "Wow, if this were an adult level movie they could have REALLY explored that theme well!" The movies are neither here nor there, so there's a lack of depth no matter who the given audience is.

In other words, just because it's animation, why does it always have to be so superficial? I'm not really into Pixar movies for this reason.

I guess I just like adult animation. The Legend of Korra bordered on adult. I'm really sad that the plug got pulled over her alleged bisexuality.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Fri Jan 22, 17:29 2016

I was going to see anomalisa actually but I got sick that day.

I'll see anything although I kind of have an aversion to anime. I recently saw Marnie and me which changed my mind a lot though.

Edit: I actually also saw a fairly bad review for anomalisa in a good paper which reduced my enthusiasm.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"