Disney's Newest Princess - Moana

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Unvoiced_Apollo

Disney's Newest Princess - Moana

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Fri Jan 29, 8:06 2016

So how do you feel about the design of Disney's newest princess?

I like that there's some deviation from the past style (cankles ftw). She even looks a bit more realistic, at least compared to past designs. I am however forced to admit her face still looks somewhat similar to the recent 3D princesses. Still, I think it's a nice updated design that still fits the aesthetic Disney likes.

spacefem

Re: Disney's Newest Princess - Moana

Post by spacefem » Sat Jan 30, 15:54 2016

We'll see.

Off the top of my head, I always groan whenever we hear about a new princess because I'm tired of disney only telling stories about girls who are princesses. Their stories with male main characters are all over the place... boy scouts, toy cowboys, cars, film-star dogs, fish, planes, monsters, video game villains. When the main character is male, he can be anything. But a female needs to be the daughter of an important man, first.

I'm not the only one who said that. When Brave came out, the world was all "pixar is being so progressive finally telling a story about a young woman but they had to make her a princess otherwise she's just not relevant, right?" and I had to groan because men don't have to be royalty to be featured as main characters, how come there's always just one way to be a relevant woman?

They basically ruined Wreck-It Ralph for me at the end when suddenly we learn that penelope was a PRINCESS the whole time. Like seriously, why'd you do that Disney? Why?

So there's that.

The other thing I can't help but compare it to is Meet the Croods - not disney, pretty good movie, but for an indigineous person it was so weird how they went out of their way to make sure Eep met western-world grooming standards for shaved armpits.

Croods was set in the stone age, I don't know what time period Moana is set in, but there aren't many disney princess movies set in 2016 America so she'd better have realistic body hair, disney.

And FINALLY - note this article that made the feminist rounds lately, about how in recent disney movies like Frozen, even when they're about women, men or male characters do more than 50% of the talking!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... ey-movies/

Little Mermaid, Frozen, Pocahontas, Mulan... they were about women, but all the minor characters, comic relief, sidekicks, are all male. Disney featured more women talking to each other in 1959's Sleeping Beauty than nearly every other film made since then.

When I first got together with my husband who's native american, he told me about the Dances with Wolves phenomenon... "The story is about two white people falling in love, the Indians are there as props." That's something to watch out for, whenever any minority is being "featured" in a film. I immediately noticed in the Moana photos that the first two named cast members are male (Dwayne Johnson, Alan Tudyk) and she's standing next to her male sidekick... just like we always safely are, wouldn't want the story to be about too many women.
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Re: Disney's Newest Princess - Moana

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Sat Jan 30, 16:31 2016

Ok. But what do you think of the design of the character?