Pancake Day

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

antfancier

Pancake Day

Post by antfancier » Tue Feb 9, 20:13 2016

It's Mardi Gras, or Pancake Day as we call it in England, and I decided to make pancakes and serve them with lemon juice and sugar just like my mum used to. Pancakes for us are actually what you guys in the USA call crepes. The style that you guys eat, we call American pancakes (or if they're small, but still thick and fluffy we call them Scotch pancakes).

Anyway....I couldn't remember the recipe so I googled a simple crepe recipe and made the first that came up (2 eggs, 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk). It said it served four, but once I had the batter it definitely didn't look like enough. So I added more flour and milk. Once I started cooking, I couldn't get that thin crepe consistency - I kept trying to flip the pancakes in the pan, but it didn't work because they were too heavy. So I added more milk. Big mistake. I've never messed up pancakes so badly in my whole life! It just kept coming out as this gooey, burnt, undercooked, gelatinous lump. Completely inedible! I finally gave up and added a bunch more flour to get back to the original recipe ratio. After like an hour of experimentation, I had something akin to a blini. It wasn't quite what I had wanted, but tasted good enough.

So, what are your favorite pancake recipes? How do you get a crepe to be super thin and crispy? Is the secret in the batter or the utensils? What are your favorite fillings? Share your ideas here, because I refuse to let these pancakes defeat me!

Bork

Re: Pancake Day

Post by Bork » Wed Feb 10, 18:05 2016

My favorite pancake recipe ever is one that I made with my aunt one time - but unfortunately the recipe has since been lost, and I have no idea how to find it. I mean, I guess I can google around, but there are just so many recipes and I don't remember enough about it to narrow it down.

I usually make waffles, though, rather than pancakes. Never tried making crepes! They seem very difficult.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Wed Feb 10, 18:38 2016

Ohh if Pancake Tuesday is a british thing that might explain a lot. I grew up with it at home and also in my public school (they'd wheel a grill around to the classrooms and everyone got one pancake (American style, not crepes)). But the other day at work I had a weird conversation in which 1 of the 6 or 7 people I was sitting with had ever even heard of it. So odd.

Anyways this is my favourite pancake recipes. I know it looks overly healthy but it tastes so good and makes ordinary pancakes seem boring.
http://ohmyveggies.com/gluten-free-bana ... 5IFAvmv.32
(I don't make them gluten-free though, I just use normal flour)
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Wed Feb 10, 19:04 2016

At this point I'd eat pretty much any pancake, because I'm hungry and we ordered Chinese food but it's not here yet.

The thing that always trips me up in making my (American) pancakes is the heat level. I've used several recipe variations and/or mixes and they're all fine, but it takes me a few pancakes to calibrate the stove.

Rainbow Dolphins

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Sat Feb 13, 4:03 2016

Enigma wrote:Ohh if Pancake Tuesday is a british thing that might explain a lot. I grew up with it at home and also in my public school (they'd wheel a grill around to the classrooms and everyone got one pancake (American style, not crepes)). But the other day at work I had a weird conversation in which 1 of the 6 or 7 people I was sitting with had ever even heard of it. So odd.

Anyways this is my favourite pancake recipes. I know it looks overly healthy but it tastes so good and makes ordinary pancakes seem boring.
http://ohmyveggies.com/gluten-free-bana ... 5IFAvmv.32
(I don't make them gluten-free though, I just use normal flour)
I like to use almond milk in my pancakes (actually waffles 'cause I don't really make pancakes). Good nutty flavour. Bananas are a good addition too, and whatever berries are in the freezer. Quick-cooking oats or seven-grain cereal is also a standby. I agree, regular pancakes are boring.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

Gnarlbanya

Post by Gnarlbanya » Sat Feb 13, 14:54 2016

I don't need a special day for pancakes, I'd happily eat them all the time (and do...).

This recipe is my go-to:
3/4 cup self-raising flour sifted with 2 tablespoons caster sugar. Add 1/2 cup of milk and one beaten egg and mix. Stir in 30g melted butter, then add half a cup of blueberries. Cook in a non-stick pan over medium/low heat and don't flip 'em until they've done that thing where little bubbles form and pop and leave little holes in the top of the pancake (I have no idea how to describe this properly).

A good variation is to use burnt butter instead of melted, just melt the butter in a saucepan and leave it on the heat until it has a little bit of a brown tinge, gives the pancakes an extra kick, kind of a bit of a nutty flavour.