What do you think of Disney's newest female lead?

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Unvoiced_Apollo

What do you think of Disney's newest female lead?

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Thu Mar 17, 11:22 2016

For those of you not familiar, Judy Hopps is Walt Disney Animation Studios' female lead in Zootopia, which surpassed Frozen's OW box office numbers. On the plus side, she's not a princess (though I personally don't mind the trope from disney as I think beyond their titles, most have characteristics beyond their blue blood). Here's a look at her character design:

I've a blindspot when it comes to the design of animated women, so thoughts are welcome on this. As for who she is...

Judy is a police officer who struggles to be taken seriously being the first rabbit on a megafauna-dominated police force. She ends up being paired with Nick Wilde, a male fox hustler. This might understandably be a drawback to some, though I never felt it was out of a need to have a male character protect her. Her wide-eyed optimism leaves her a bit naive and blind to her own prejudices, even falling for one of Nick's cons. However, she uses her knowledge of the law to get a couple over on the fox. What's nice about this pairing is they're not romantic, even if a line or two at the end comes dangerously close to flirtatious. Their relationship is very much like Flynn & Rapunzel's, but platonic in nature.

So if you couldn't tell, I personally like the character. She is the good role model type, but also has flaws resulting from that trope. Her optimism doesn't quite prepare her for how little the world takes her seriously (a struggle some of you may find familiar). She also has a blindspot when it comes to her prejudice. However, she both learns that her dreams don't alway mesh with reality and shows Nick that one can be more than how the world sees you. She and Nick both evolve without either losing the core of who they really are. And as mentioned, she is more interested in succeeding at her job than finding love. Now if only they'd have nore female humans who aren't princesses (I said I didn't mind them, I didn't say it wasn't a valid criticism).