Books on leadership and influence

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Nerd1987

Books on leadership and influence

Post by Nerd1987 » Mon Apr 11, 22:18 2016

So there are way too many such books out there and many are too similar to be worth my time. I came across the seven habits which I never had given the time of day too before and was blown away; it's very existential. I know you guys are mostly much more well read than me. Any suggestions?

Enigma

Re: Books on leadership and influence

Post by Enigma » Tue Apr 12, 15:32 2016

Yeah I had to read seven habits for work and was also surprised that it was actually good.

I tend to avoid the genre so can't help too much on this though lol. Mostly I find them to be hot air kinda things.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Nerd1987

Post by Nerd1987 » Tue Apr 12, 22:33 2016

Yeah from non 7 habits books I'm getting: tell a story that paints a helpful picture of the future, ask leading questions without being offensive, use social proof, have a good reputation, and lots and lots of the same things in other words and hot air! And I've always heard to ask someone their advice and listen. No one wants to feel like their opinion doesn't matter. I do that at work with frustrated customers. Oh and don't ask people for their stance until they are ready cause once they commit it's hard to change their mind.

spacefem

Post by spacefem » Wed Apr 13, 20:38 2016

Oh gosh. Tomorrow I'll try to remember to snap a photo of my work bookshelf - I adore books about leadership and influence.

A favorite that quickly leaps to mind is "Switch". It's about getting people on your side and leading groups through change. Lesson 1: some inspirational mission statement declaration mumbo jumbo is doing it wrong.
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

Nerd1987

Post by Nerd1987 » Thu Apr 14, 0:21 2016

Wow thanks a lot! I feel like influence is my biggest weakness. I am too blunt and if I can't have my message and ideas valued they won't be utilized or taken up by groups in my personal life or at work. I also talk too much and listen too little.