Singing!

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Nachos

Singing!

Post by Nachos » Wed Sep 21, 5:37 2016

I went singing yesterday and it was really nice! New choir with mixed abilities, no sheet music. Was very different from what I am used to (was used to), but still real fun. We sang something in Yoruba and something in Bulgarian. So that was also a nice departure from what I'm used to.

Who sings here? What do you sing, how do you sing, with whom do you sing?
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Re: Singing!

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Wed Sep 21, 6:36 2016

I'm a karaoke guy.

I have a really deep voice, so I used to (and will eventually go back) sing Johnny Cash.

I've since branched out, doing more songs that might be a little out of my range (or a lot out of my range for one).

My song list includes:
Oldies/Classic Rock

Boy Named Sue
Walk the Line
Folsom Prison Blues
Get Rhythm
Walk the Line
Chantilly Lace
Devil Went Down to Georgia
I Put a Spell on You (Artist: Screamin' Jay Hawkins)
Free Fallin'
Dont You (Forget About Me)
Never Gonna Give You Up (this one is good for placed you haven't been to yet or awhile just to see the reaction)

New:
Shut Up & Dance With Me
One Call Away

Novelty:
Monster Mash
Mr Grinch

Disney:
Bare Necessities
Kiss the Girl
Friend Like Me
Let it Go (This is my "a lot out of range" song, but someone told me it was the manliest version they heard, so I'm keeping it in the list).

filmmakingally

Post by filmmakingally » Fri Sep 30, 2:33 2016

Well, since you ask, how about a little shameless self promotion! :D

I'm a filmmaker. Ultra-low-tiny-budget stuff. That's actually the reason I'm here. My next film is going to have feminist themes, and so I need to read what feminists are saying and talking about. I consider myself a feminist, but I'm kinda a beginner.

I'm also a singer. I'm classically trained, have been a wedding singer, and can sing the shit out of Sinatra. Other than the wedding singer gig, I haven't spent much time on music in the last ten years, because I've devoted my artistic endeavors to filmmaking. It recently occurred to me that I need to combine the two.

My next film is about a songwriter, a closeted lesbian who uses music as sort of a form of therapy to deal with the numerous issues she's facing. So, the movie is basically a musical, in the style of movies like Once and Sing Street.

Though the music will ultimately be sung by the lead actress, I'll still be the person writing and arranging it, and that of course will involve a lot of singing. In addition to that, I think it'd be a really good idea for me to form a real-life band, and use our collaborative music as the soundtrack for the film (with the lead actresses vocals replacing my real-life vocals). :)

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Fri Sep 30, 14:51 2016

Oh I forgot to respond to this! I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I run an a cappella group. So I sing at least once a week. It's great, and it really boosted my social life too.

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Fri Sep 30, 19:41 2016

I sing when I need favors. People do the favors in exchange for me shutting up.

But seriously, I had two male co-workers who would sing with me Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog during lunch... I miss those guys.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

rowan

Post by rowan » Sat Oct 1, 16:02 2016

I used to sing all the time but don't anymore. :(
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Starkid

Post by Starkid » Mon Oct 3, 7:59 2016

I sing myself to sleep sometimes. I also sing for my friends when they're feeling tired or sad.
Most of the songs I sing are slow and I also like singing in foreign languages like Japanese and Spanish.
:star:

MFS

Post by MFS » Sun Oct 9, 17:44 2016

I sing 24/7... only not. Because that would be a lot of singing. I just sang yesterday and Friday night, though. Because I did. Songs with words and everything.
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Tue Oct 11, 17:03 2016

I sing all the time. But only around very close friends or family. Because I am bad.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Storage and Disposal

Post by Storage and Disposal » Mon Oct 17, 16:39 2016

I sing songs I write with a friend of mine. I'm not trained at all and, despite my best efforts, I'm probably off quite often.

As far as Karaoke, I did it once. I sand Your Mother Should Know and it was one of the scariest experiences in my life. Might do it again someday.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

Eravial

Post by Eravial » Mon Oct 17, 18:01 2016

I'm pretty mediocre, but not terribly unpleasant to listen to, and even get a compliment now and again. I have one friend/partner/backpacking buddy who plays a lot of music who I sing with whenever we get together. It's almost always around a campfire and often just us and maybe one or two friends. We sing a whole lot of Grateful Dead and some Beatles, Traffic, Gordon Lightfoot, Talking Heads. But really, heavy emphasis on the Grateful Dead.

I also sing by myself a lot, especially while walking anywhere, but almost never when others are around.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
Dizzy with possibility

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Thu Oct 20, 15:38 2016

Enigma wrote:I sing all the time. But only around very close friends or family. Because I am bad.
Bad news, I'm now going to a karaoke bachelorette. I think I might be expected to sing. All the other bridesmaids are in choirs. Humiliation is in my future.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Thu Oct 20, 16:03 2016

^ Pick a singer who doesn't necessarily sing well, but that's a part of their charm? Tom Waits?

Or something funny so it doesn't matter? Garfunkel and Oates?

I've been told I can carry a tune, but I still prefer stuff that ranges from ballads to They Might Be Giants. Really I'll sing anything if I'm asked - I'm that kind of audience participant.

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Thu Oct 20, 17:03 2016

^^ OR sing intentionally bad, like worse than you usually would. And get really into it. That way theyre left wondering... she can't possibly be that bad, can she??? And now they're confused.

Go. Go sing horribly like a Boss.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Fri Oct 21, 4:34 2016

Enigma wrote:
Enigma wrote:I sing all the time. But only around very close friends or family. Because I am bad.
Bad news, I'm now going to a karaoke bachelorette. I think I might be expected to sing. All the other bridesmaids are in choirs. Humiliation is in my future.
To add to what sonic said, Pick a song that's fun and will get everyone to dance and/or sing along. Funny or fun, No one will care how bad you sing as long as you're into it.

"Never gonna give you up" is this for me.