Pics of me as a woman

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Storage and Disposal

Pics of me as a woman

Post by Storage and Disposal » Sun Apr 9, 17:57 2017

So there's a really cool wine bar in my town. We were talking to the owner and she mentioned this drag bingo thing next week and asked if we wanted to go. Sounds like fun and I have the day off, so I said sure. It's coming up, RD has to work, and I'm realizing that I know nothing else about the event. I heard of a college thing where college kids have a drag contest, so that might be it. I know that dressing up is optional, so I don't even know how many, if anyone, are doing it.

So all I REALLY know is that I'm going to a wine bar dressed like a woman in a fairly conservative town and I'm going by myself. I'm a bit nervous, but I want to dress up, so I'm definitely going to do it.

A friend of mine might do my make up, but if she's too busy I'm going without it. I'm going to try to track down some panty hose thing for your waist (You see how much I know about women's clothes? It's embarrassingly little) to keep my love handles in check, but they don't look as bad as I thought they would.

Anyway, figured you guys would enjoy seeing me with just a wig and a dress. I'll try to post pictures of the final product on Tuesday.

"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

rowan

Re: Pics of me as a woman

Post by rowan » Mon Apr 10, 5:06 2017

lookin' good! :dance2:
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Neko

Post by Neko » Mon Apr 10, 7:15 2017

That dress is super cute!

If you mean control top pantyhose, I wish you luck. Unless pantyhose has been improved since I last wore it, it's easy to get runs in them or rip if you have a hang nail or it snags on something while putting them on.
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth:

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Mon Apr 10, 9:29 2017

I love it! And I love the hair. And the red in the dress. Gah I miss living in a college town. Now I'm stuck in the bible belt.

Though your post did make me wonder... what is drag supposed to represent? Because I'm a cisfemale, not particularly tomboyish , and I own maybe 3 dresses which I avoid wearing unless someone is getting married or I'm too pregnant to fit in anything else. And if I ever found a pair of panty hose in my drawers I'd light it on :fire:. <--- I'm a hypocrite, I'm wearing spanx as I type this. But I guess what I'm saying is... your outfit is almost as atypical for you as it would be for me :)

I'n any case, following. I hope everyone dresses up, too. Sounds like it's going to be fun. My one thought: I hope your makeup friend goes for dramatic eyes and a more neutral berry lip color closer to your natural lip color instead of a fire-engine red lipstick, because I think it would be a more sophisticated look, but i'm conservative. Idunno, maybe you're going for edgy. But I'm just "thinking out loud" here. I'm sure it'll be fabulous regardless.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Mon Apr 10, 10:24 2017

You look really good Storage. :w00t: I wish you the best of luck at bingo.
DarkOne wrote: Though your post did make me wonder... what is drag supposed to represent?
I really should do some reading on this, because I sometimes wonder that as well. As you say, "your outfit is almost as atypical for you as it would be for me" - from the outside, it seems to embrace more rarefied forms of femininity. But there's still something really interesting in the performance that seems to go beyond stereotype. I usually devote a couple of hours a week to curious questions like this, so 'll let you know if I find anything.

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Mon Apr 10, 10:56 2017

Sonic# wrote:... so 'll let you know if I find anything.
Oh, please do share! And just for the record, I'm not up in arms about drag and its current form. It seems to me that drag is more about self expression and ownership, with the occasional element of grandeur, rather than about representing or boxing or generalizing femininity. I was just tickled by the forms it commonly takes. I guess it's a good thing that that femininity has become so undefinable and "unboxable" that drag can only capture a fraction of its many facets.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

rowan

Post by rowan » Mon Apr 10, 15:26 2017

Hm... I have not explored this idea in my own thoughts, so be curious to see what comes out of it. I guess "drag" for me is a guy dressing up feminine *whatever that means anyway* when he wouldn't otherwise do so, as opposed to my guy friends who e.g. wear skirts and nail polish because they wear skirts and nail polish.

(apologies for the gender binary above, but that's kind of part of it I guess that there's this false binary?)
brain mush taught hard things in class today

Storage and Disposal

Post by Storage and Disposal » Mon Apr 10, 17:08 2017

Neko wrote:If you mean control top pantyhose, I wish you luck. Unless pantyhose has been improved since I last wore it, it's easy to get runs in them or rip if you have a hang nail or it snags on something while putting them on.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I found something else that serves the same purpose, but have no idea what it's called. Works well enough.

My make up person sounds pretty busy, so this might be close to the end result.
DarkOne wrote:Though your post did make me wonder... what is drag supposed to represent?
I'm not sure it's a statement on much of anything outside of acceptance and general interest. Events like this are often charity events, from what I've seen. I thought wearing a dress sounded fun and I was given an excuse to do it, so off I go, haha!

I did make a conscious effort to be fairly classy, though I'm not sure how close I'll get to that goal. I heard people get pretty crazy and outlandish. I interpreted this as guys making a joke of it, which is fine by me since I get that it probably comes from a place of insecurity ("I want to dress up, but I'm scared to, so I'll get as ridiculous as I can so any laughter can be seen as the goal"), but I wanted to be more tasteful and treat femininity as less of a punchline. All this is just speculation, as is most ideas of why people organize and do such things, I think.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Mon Apr 10, 20:48 2017

Storage and Disposal wrote: ... I wanted to be more tasteful and treat femininity as less of a punchline...
For what it's worth, I think you'd be fine with some chapstick and little else. :)

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Apr 11, 9:33 2017

LIP GLOSS! I find it tends to be more understated than lipstick because it goes on thinner

downside I also need to reapply more?
DarkOne wrote:For what it's worth, I think you'd be fine with some chapstick and little else. :)
I do think this is true tho

Pikachu

Post by Pikachu » Tue Apr 11, 14:45 2017

A friend of mine might do my make up, but if she's too busy I'm going without it.
Mildly triggering. Do your own make up why not?

Storage and Disposal

Post by Storage and Disposal » Tue Apr 11, 22:01 2017

The party was a lot of fun. I actually got some compliments, which pretty much never happens for me. One of the hostesses called me perfection and said I should do a number with them next time.

My friend didn't have time to do the make up, so I decided to just do my nails and wear lipstick. I wanted to completely eliminate the beard shadow and do something to accent my eyes, but that's beyond my skills at this point. I looked for supplies just in case I felt brave, but it gets expensive. Too expensive if I got it wrong.

I took some pictures right before I headed out. Here's me with crooked glasses because my ears are stupid:

Pikachu wrote:Mildly triggering. Do your own make up why not?
Have you done make up? It's a skill. I was an art major. I can draw things with almost photographic realism. It took me like an hour to get my nails and lipstick right. It can be second nature if you've done it a thousand times, but I've no experience with it.

Neko

Post by Neko » Tue Apr 11, 23:28 2017

How was your nail polishing experience?
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth:

Storage and Disposal

Post by Storage and Disposal » Wed Apr 12, 0:43 2017

Neko wrote:How was your nail polishing experience?
Pretty bad. I definitely had nail polish all over my fingers at one point, but I eventually got it to a satisfactory level. I almost forgot to buy nail polish remover. That definitely would have added another level of challenge.

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Wed Apr 12, 5:19 2017

How did you pick the dress? I like the color blocking and the way it fits through the hips. You do look classy.
Storage and Disposal wrote:I interpreted this as guys making a joke of it, which is fine by me since I get that it probably comes from a place of insecurity ("I want to dress up, but I'm scared to, so I'll get as ridiculous as I can so any laughter can be seen as the goal"), but I wanted to be more tasteful and treat femininity as less of a punchline.
Sometimes I see drag contests (specifically the kind I've seen happen among college kids) as a route that people use to mock the trans* experience (as opposed to bolstering ones own insecurity about the desire to wear drag). So while thinking about drag and the many variations it takes on, I read this article on Drag Kings in Toronto that I found quite interesting http://www.dailyxtra.com/toronto/news-a ... ity-217577. It mentions a lot of motivations for performing drag, including hedging on sexuality or gender openness. I've normally thought of it as an end in itself instead of a safe venue to experiment.

Were there any Kings at Bingo Night?

Storage and Disposal

Post by Storage and Disposal » Wed Apr 12, 11:17 2017

Yeah, a few. I'd say maybe 3 Kings and 4 Queens, so it was a decent ratio. Not a lot of people dressed up.

The people the owner referred to as dressing crazy definitely didn't fit my prediction. They were outlandish, but definitely not in that insecure, straight way. They did a really good job. The owner convinced a couple of body builders to dress up, which was priceless.

Pikachu

Post by Pikachu » Wed Apr 12, 16:51 2017

Storage and Disposal wrote: Have you done make up?

Yes.

It took me like an hour to get my nails and lipstick right. It can be second nature if you've done it a thousand times, but I've no experience with it.
I understand that, but being inhibited about your make up because it's not skilled enough yet isn't really in the spirit of drag. It really would be no fun at all if all the dudes in drag got pros to do it for them or spent a ton of time trying to get it perfect to avoid embarrassment or something. . :dance2:

Storage and Disposal

Post by Storage and Disposal » Wed Apr 12, 18:37 2017

Call me ignorant then. If I do it again, I'll do my own make up like I did this time. But you misunderstand if you think I sought out a pro/make up artist to do it. I think my friend rarely wears make up and when she does, she barely puts any on. It's because of these reasons that I asked for her help in putting it on.

Also, it was a small bingo drag party, so it was extremely relaxed. If there were guidelines like "You have to do everything on your own", and I didn't get the impression that there were, no one made them known. Still, there were only about 7 people came dressed up aside from the two people hosting. It would have been even fewer if they were guilted into doing the entire process on their own. I did for the most part (RD bought me the waist thing) and it was anxiety-inducing. This is a small, conservative town. Going out and buying a dress, shoes, make up, etc, wasn't exactly a welcoming experience. I wouldn't think less of anyone for seeking help with the process.

rowan

Post by rowan » Fri Apr 14, 8:48 2017

Meh I have a hard time doing makeup, if I wanted my makeup to look good for something, I'd probably ask a friend for help too. Lots of my women friends get help with their makeup too. That's not cheating. I don't think any one person gets to control what "the spirit of drag" is.

Did you win at bingo that's the real question, Storage

Storage and Disposal

Post by Storage and Disposal » Fri Apr 14, 12:01 2017

Oh yeah! Won a magnum bottle of wine.

Nech

Post by Nech » Mon May 15, 19:01 2017

This has been a really neat thread to return to and read through haha sounds like an awesome event!
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.