Do you finish every book?

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

DarkOne

Do you finish every book?

Post by DarkOne » Wed Nov 22, 11:05 2017

rowan's positively MEH review of the last book they read made me wonder about people's reading habits in general: Do you put books down if you're not loving the journey? Or do you always finish what you start? Why or why not?

I used to finish everything I started, then realized my "to read" list was too long to waste on books I didn't like. I know there are books that seem bad but reward you at the end, but I've gotten to the point where the journey there matters too. I almost prefer a book that was mostly good and threw a crap ending at me than a book that dragged on for 300 pages then was fun for 100. Eh or maybe not.

In any case, I'm in the "I don't always finish books" camp. You?
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

rowan

Re: Do you finish every book?

Post by rowan » Wed Nov 22, 15:38 2017

I used to but some books are really just too awful to read. That one cryptography one by Dan Brown is what broke it. I finished that book (I was stuck on a 7 hour plane ride but fuck it was bad), but decided I'd never do that again. Better things to do with my time and so many good books out there.

The above one wasn't bad enough to not finish, per se, mostly because I figured it was a newish author (when he wrote it). I did do a fair amount of skimming to get to actual action, though.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Wed Nov 22, 15:39 2017

I actually try and finish every book I start. Even if it's bad. This is also why the samples thing on my kindle really bugs me, because I will buy the damn thing and read it!
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

geldofc

Post by geldofc » Fri Dec 1, 3:15 2017

no i don't. i've bad at reading these past couple months, ugh!
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Sun Dec 3, 17:03 2017

I finish most, but not all. I did just slog through one that I hated, but that was for school. I've definitely become less of a completionist as I've gotten older and realized just how much STUFF is out there.

Taurwen

Post by Taurwen » Sun Dec 3, 20:46 2017

I used to as well. Now not so much. It doesn't take much for me to keep reading though, if the idea intrigues me I'll read through to the end even if the execution is horrible. Eragon taught me that I will only go two books into a series though before bad writing will win out. Xanth taught me if I have emotional attachment to the series I will read every last horrible one.

Bork

Post by Bork » Mon Dec 4, 22:12 2017

Unfortunately not. I've started renting books from the library instead of buying them, but I don't always have a chance to finish the book before it's due.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Tweek

Post by Tweek » Fri Dec 8, 9:35 2017

I almost always finish books I start reading.
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Mon Dec 11, 20:41 2017

I usually try and plow through. Sometimes I run out of renewals at the library and never get it back out or leave the book on my shelf and never pick it up again if it's extra bad or slow but it's rare for me to consciously quit a book.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Thu Dec 14, 15:13 2017

This question should be on personality tests.
Library due dates with no renewals are just about the only way for me to give up on a book I'm not enjoying. For the most part I read from beginning to end, without skimming.

Plotthickens

Post by Plotthickens » Mon Dec 18, 2:20 2017

I try to. Some are just too bad, though. Just read the first rwo pages of a Michael Moore book where he was bitching about how stupid and bad President Bush was. Had to put that little miserable bit of irony away.
DaHjaj 'oH QaQ jaj gerbils vISop