skábmagovat film festival

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

melsbells

skábmagovat film festival

Post by melsbells » Sun Jan 28, 12:44 2018

The Indigenous Peoples' Film Festival takes place in Inari, Finland and was this weekend. This year they were spotlighting films from and about North America, and I was geared up to go and watch some films under the northern lights. My mother-in-law, husband and I planned to go, but weren't in the end able to make the trip. The program was still really interesting and I hope to look into a few of these films. Here's the program of showings. The summaries are in English.

I want to see "Out of State" (from USA I) because it reminded me of a substance abuse rehab center that I visited in Gallup, NM as a student. The rehab focused on connecting people to their roots (learning their tribal family history, etc.) and had a lot of success in their approach by including empowerment in this way. The film about Hawaiian prisoners in Arizona sounds like a similar approach is being taken, though with the added difficulty that these people have been sent away from their homeland.

I want to see "Sámi Blood" (from Sámpi IV). Spouse says that this movie opened up a lot of old wounds when it was first released, though he hasn't seen it yet either. People like to think of places like Finland and Sweden as super progressive, and in all fairness, they do get rated highly when it comes to lack of corruption and human rights. But the top of the list doesn't mean paradise and it certainly doesn't mean a clean history. I have learned a little bit of this in how the Sámi people in Finland were pressured to stop being nomadic and how similar things are happening in Russia today with some of their native herding populations. This is about forced assimilation of the Sámi people in Sweden and it reads very similar to the forced assimilation that happened in the U.S.

Maybe next year...

geldofc

Re: skábmagovat film festival

Post by geldofc » Tue Jan 30, 5:04 2018

Wow that's all very interesting. The film festival looks super fun to me. I was literally just reading about the Saami people after discovering my maternal haplogroup is V2 and the Saami people are V haplogroup and so are closely related. It's definitely amazing to learn about related indigenous cultures and hunter-gatherer groups. I'm sad to hear their culture has been harmed like that.
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Tue Jan 30, 8:38 2018

I haven't done a major film festival since college. The program looks interesting. It took me a bit to make the connection between "USA" and "Indigenous Peoples," though I don't know if there's an easy solution to that.

I was curious if there was any way for me to see "Sámi Blood." It looks like it's available on Blu-Ray?

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Tue Jan 30, 12:49 2018

It seems like it should be available in the U.S. The problem we have here is finding a version with English subtitles for me, which would have been present at the film festival.