Transwomen and Sports?

Moderators: Enigma, Sonic#

Pikachu

Re: Transwomen and Sports?

Post by Pikachu » Fri Dec 16, 18:46 2016

"There is a debate as to whether and man should retaliate if a woman starts hitting on him."

Yet there's curiously no debate about if a 250 pound linebacker should retaliate if a 140 pound MALE starts hitting on him.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Sat Dec 17, 10:02 2016

Meppi, I really appreciated that article. I know I've run across the factoid that HRT reduces testosterone to levels not usually seen in women.

I also agree with the larger idea that people are getting hung up over different body types, when body types are more a function of ordinary variation than a function of gender or sex.
Article wrote:Once you get past the relationship between muscle and hormones, the bigotry of the anti-trans argument becomes readily apparent. By singling out trans women with larger ribcages for exclusion, are they saying that cis women with large ribcages have the same advantage? If you’re going to ban all trans women because they’re tall and have an advantage, does that mean that Brittney Griner, who is 6’8”, cis, and can dunk, should be banned from basketball? That feels utterly wrong—in the exact same way as excluding trans women on the same basis would be.
That's one of the points where body-based arguments break down: they adopt rules that would cut against many of the cis athletes currently competing. Yet that's seen as an error, because the fundamental issue for people complaining about trans participation in sports isn't bodily advantage, but the idea that there's a "male body" that always beats a "female body" irrespective of variation, conditions, or hormonal treatment.

Aum

Post by Aum » Sat Dec 17, 20:00 2016

I might be ignorant in saying so, but isn't weight class the most important factor? If you're trans and weigh the same as other people in your gender/weight class, then what does it matter?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

rowan

Post by rowan » Sun Dec 18, 11:31 2016

I think that depends on the sport, some of them aren't weight classes, like running, but for wrestling it would be.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!