Why SpaceFEM?

Moderators: Enigma, Sonic#

theal

Why SpaceFEM?

Post by theal » Fri Feb 3, 5:40 2017

I thgt maybe the "fem" was female, feminist etc. But there seem to be as many dudes on here as us gals - evn on the "feminist" forum! Can't we dim fluffy-headed babes have disussions among ourselves?

rinn

Re: Why SpaceFEM?

Post by rinn » Fri Feb 3, 9:42 2017

last I checked, I thought guys could be feminists too?

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Fri Feb 3, 9:56 2017

I'm pretty sure it's because the founder likes space and is a woman.

Taurwen

Post by Taurwen » Fri Feb 3, 10:08 2017

There are women only spaces. This just isn't one of them. I was under the same impression as Sonic, Spacefem is the founder of the place.

Also, if I never again hear the argument of men not being allowed to be feminists it'll be too soon.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Fri Feb 3, 11:18 2017

theal wrote:I thgt maybe the "fem" was female, feminist etc. But there seem to be as many dudes on here as us gals - evn on the "feminist" forum! Can't we dim fluffy-headed babes have disussions among ourselves?
Shouldn't a point to feminism be to teach everyone, not just women, about issues women face everyday? How can one do that by limiting exactly who gets to be a feminist or at least alter allied with feminists?

I joined this forum specifically to learn. To argue but also step back and admit where I was wrong. I've learned a lot while here and while I admit making terrible mistakes, I've been able to reflect and better understand these issues. Surely having men here who offer their viewpoints is more of a boon than a curse, especially if most of them are open to changing their minds when reasoned with.

Neko

Post by Neko » Fri Feb 3, 12:18 2017

Occasionally, there are threads on the forum that ask only for replies from women. For this community, it's better as an option than as the rule.
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth:

rowan

Post by rowan » Fri Feb 3, 16:59 2017

Lots of men are feminists and I appreciate those members (shoutout especially Sonic# seriously you have the patience of a saint) because I don't always have the spoons to argue _yet again_ something that can be looked up in a 101 level textbook because I'm dealing with rampant everyday sexism.

This looks more like a question than a rant?

Also as someone who just spent 2.5 hours teaching physics to undergrads, I am feeling a bit cranky about being called, even in jest, a "dim fluffy headed babe"
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Meperidine

Post by Meperidine » Fri Feb 3, 22:52 2017

"but what about the spacemen"
:heart: and :spacefem:

spacefem

Post by spacefem » Sat Feb 4, 5:59 2017

I get called spacefern so much I'll take whatever I can get.
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

theal

Post by theal » Sat Feb 4, 6:28 2017

Taurwen wrote:There are women only spaces. This just isn't one of them. I was under the same impression as Sonic, Spacefem is the founder of the place.

Also, if I never again hear the argument of men not being allowed to be feminists it'll be too soon.
OK Taurwen I 'm not going to argue that men can't be feminists - of course we want them all to be. But it seems a little off that men often dominate the conversations when the idea of feminism was to give us a voice and make a change from them having all the power. After all one of the problems in this world is girls not realising that they can do anything (something set back further by Trump's victory) - and having men leading chats on feminism isn't going to help them understand that men don't rule everything.
But I am NOT trying to be a disgruntled ball-breaking lesbian feminist (I'm straight), I am merely making personal points and suggestions.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Sat Feb 4, 7:49 2017

theal wrote:
Taurwen wrote:There are women only spaces. This just isn't one of them. I was under the same impression as Sonic, Spacefem is the founder of the place.

OK Taurwen I 'm not going to argue that men can't be feminists - of course we want them all to be. But it seems a little off that men often dominate the conversations when the idea of feminism was to give us a voice and make a change from them having all the power. After all one of the problems in this world is girls not realising that they can do anything (something set back further by Trump's victory) - and having men leading chats on feminism isn't going to help them understand that men don't rule everything.
But I am NOT trying to be a disgruntled ball-breaking lesbian feminist (I'm straight), I am merely making personal points and suggestions.
Are men leading the majority of subjects on the Feminism board or are they just contributing?

I don't think it does any good to live in a vacuum and as I said isn't it good men are here and interested in these discussions and learning more about these issues?

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Sat Feb 4, 8:19 2017

disgruntled ball-breaking lesbian feminist (I'm straight)
Why do you keep insulting people not like you with these bizarre stereotypes, even in jest? There's nothing wrong with being a lesbian, with raising questions, and the like. But it's twice now you've made up a feminist stereotype to insult.

Galen

Post by Galen » Sat Feb 4, 9:27 2017

1. I'll never be able to see the name "spacefem" again without the mental picture of some sort of glowing cosmic seaweed.
2. I'm a grumpy old lesbian and in the short time I've been on this forum I've watched Sonic# do more legitimate ball-breaking than I've done in my entire foruming experience.
3. I like my lists to have an odd number of items.

Taurwen

Post by Taurwen » Sat Feb 4, 9:36 2017

It's nice that you're straight (I'm not) but that has nothing to do with the discussion you've started. As others have pointed out, men can contribute without over powering or commanding conversation, just as lesbians can have sex with women without busting balls.
There ARE places you can go if you only want women voices, again this just isn't one of them. Shutting men out from all feminist spaced insures they aren't privy to the feminist conversations happening and unable to learn from the experiences of women. I don't see how that is helpful to anyone.

SpicyX

Post by SpicyX » Sat Feb 4, 11:19 2017

i think we should change the name of the site to spacetesticles
Join the feminism voice chat! Download the open source mumble client and connect to:
mumble-us.cleanvoice.ru 50688

theal

Post by theal » Sat Feb 4, 11:52 2017

OK sorry but I'm used to ppl (esp men) telling me I come over like that so I thgt I'd get in 1st. I hope I'm secure enough to accept that stereotype anyway.

theal

Post by theal » Sat Feb 4, 11:58 2017

SpicyX wrote:i think we should change the name of the site to spacetesticles
Sounds good - we'd have a laugh every time we logged on anyway!

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Sun Feb 5, 8:38 2017

1. This does not belong in Ranting. This is not a rant.
2. Your question has been answered.
I'm pretty sure it's because the founder likes space and is a woman.
3. Sonic# is amazing.
4. This is a feminist space, not a women only space.
5. I legimitely laughed out loud at Galen's comment:
1. I'll never be able to see the name "spacefem" again without the mental picture of some sort of glowing cosmic seaweed.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

MFS

Post by MFS » Sun Feb 5, 19:01 2017

spacefem wrote:I get called spacefern so much I'll take whatever I can get.
but Fern is Canadian and eats lots of pizza.
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie

theal

Post by theal » Mon Feb 6, 5:26 2017

Nachos, sorry but
1. I'm new and I thought this was a borderline rant anyway.
2. Yes, I only continued it out of politeness because of the replies - like I'm replying to you now.
3. Sonic may be perfect but he's a man running a section called Feminism. If I started a board called Masculinism I'm sure I would be challenged (not to mention getting some weird msgs!)
4. I now understand.
5. I don't understand.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Mon Feb 6, 6:37 2017

theal wrote:.
3. Sonic may be perfect but he's a man running a section called Feminism. If I started a board called Masculinism I'm sure I would be challenged (not to mention getting some weird msgs!)
If anyone started a board called Masculinism they would be challenged and get weird/terrible messages. I've seen MRA's & MGTOW boards. It's not a pretty sight.

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Mon Feb 6, 6:57 2017

Please stop doubting a person's credibility as a feminist based on their gender. No one is "running a section called Feminism". Sonic is one of two moderators assigned to that board.

Nech

Post by Nech » Mon Feb 6, 8:51 2017

You never know what a man can bring to the table. For instance I was in university for Sexual Diversity Studies, Women and Gender Studies, and History. So I think it gives me a unique a unique point of view to share here and share with other feminists. Don't jump to conclusions on people based on their gender. :)
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

Bork

Post by Bork » Mon Feb 6, 14:15 2017

This is super solidly not a rant. Scooting to Feminism.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Mon Feb 6, 19:33 2017

melsbells wrote:Please stop doubting a person's credibility as a feminist based on their gender. No one is "running a section called Feminism". Sonic is one of two moderators assigned to that board.
Just gonna dive in here and say that I'm a woman. Not that it matters .

This question is answered though.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"