Banned CDC words

Moderators: Enigma, Sonic#

spacefem

Banned CDC words

Post by spacefem » Sun Dec 17, 5:29 2017

Here’s this silliness for the week:
Policy analysts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta were told of the list of forbidden terms at a meeting Thursday with senior CDC officials who oversee the budget, according to an analyst who took part in the 90-minute briefing. The forbidden terms are "vulnerable," "entitlement," "diversity," "transgender," "fetus," "evidence-based" and "science-based."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html

I’ve read 1984 so news like this is a little scary. It’s also got me thinking again about conservative hypocrisy. They’re always calling liberals out for being too easily offended or pushing political correctness- but conservatives get offended about the craziest little things! Wishing someone happy holidays, kneeling at the national anthem, now using the term “fetus”.

What’s the term, like political correctness, we can slap on them when they play thought police?
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

Taurwen

Re: Banned CDC words

Post by Taurwen » Sun Dec 17, 12:20 2017

I don't understand where entitlement comes in. I know it's a silly thing to get hung up on but... Why?

Also, I hope the CDC goes to some stupid lengths over avoid foetus. Obviously the republican party is angling for "unborn baby" but why not say former-zygote, I've been looking into it and there doesn't seem to be a clear line between when an embryo becomes a foetus so they could just say "the large embryo" Shit like that.

Bork

Post by Bork » Mon Dec 18, 21:52 2017

It's the double standard that really drives me crazy. Don't get mad at me for saying Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas when you're over there LITERALLY BANNING WORDS FROM BEING USED.

Serious question: can they do this?
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Plotthickens

Post by Plotthickens » Mon Dec 18, 22:15 2017

spacefem wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 5:29 2017
What’s the term, like political correctness, we can slap on them when they play thought police?
"Raging hypocrites"
"Conservative precious Broflakes"
"Thought policing fascism"
DaHjaj 'oH QaQ jaj gerbils vISop

Plotthickens

Post by Plotthickens » Mon Dec 18, 22:18 2017

Bork wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 21:52 2017
Serious question: can they do this?
Yeah, they can force the CDC to pull out a thesaurus, swap Privilege for Entitled. Unfortunately for them it's turning in into a media circus. The optics are baaaaaaaaaad. Not sure they're going to want to do this again cuz how many times can you shoot yourself in the dick before you decide maybe it's not such a good idea?
DaHjaj 'oH QaQ jaj gerbils vISop

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Tue Dec 19, 9:40 2017

What changes when
https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/12/after-firestorm-cdc-director-says-terms-like-science-based-are-not-banned/ wrote: the language changes were not bans but recommendations to basically “ease the path toward budget approval by Republicans.”
I saw that information yesterday. "Not bans but recommendations." I had someone trying to justify that by saying that we change our language to appeal to audiences all the time. On the one hand, yes, and we may sometimes pick less technical ways to break concepts down for a budget request or grant application. On the other hand, what does it say about the audience that basic language like "evidence-based," "science-based," and "fetus" are supposed to be left out or substituted with lengthy bureaucratic word salads? Or when "transgender," "entitlement," "diversity," and "vulnerable" have to be disguised or "pass" in order to pass? This isn't a surprise given how Republican administrations after 2000 have done gymnastics to suppress research in fields like gun violence and climate change; word lists just add another level of dystopic twinge.

As for what to call the move, it's grimly funny how applicable "political correctness" itself is. Soft censorship or self-censorship applies. I've been toying with compulsory partisanship or sham patriotism: pressuring people to utter words and make gestures favorable to the party in power without fostering a larger reason for doing it.