Equality VS Equity

Moderators: Enigma, Sonic#

Plotthickens

Equality VS Equity

Post by Plotthickens » Sun Mar 18, 13:37 2018

We watched an interesting talk by a transwoman on her journey, and she mentioned equality VS equity. Curious, I looked up a few articles on the subject. I'd welcome all ya'all's thoughts. Here are some interesting quotes:
https://everydayfeminism.com/2014/09/eq ... ot-enough/

Equity is giving everyone what they need to be successful. Equality is treating everyone the same.

Equality aims to promote fairness, but it can only work if everyone starts from the same place and needs the same help. Equity appears unfair, but it actively moves everyone closer to success by “leveling the playing field.”

But not everyone starts at the same place, and not everyone has the same needs.
DaHjaj 'oH QaQ jaj gerbils vISop

Aum

Re: Equality VS Equity

Post by Aum » Sun Mar 18, 22:19 2018

The two are related but they are talking about different things. Equality means everyone gets the same constitutional protections as well as the same human rights, without bias or prejudice. It does not mean that we're ignoring the factors that make things unfair for certain groups while giving everyone all the same things. It means that, in theory and practice, every human being is no different than one another when it comes to their essence of being human.

Equity is about the real world practice of applying equality. It's about disadvantage vs. advantage, or privilege vs. disprivilege. Equity may or may not have anything to do with equality. An example of an advantage that has nothing to do with equality issues is favouritism or cronyism. I may give someone preferential treatment just because I like them more or they're my friend. It's an equity issue but not an equality issue because no human rights have been violated. In this example the barrier to entry is whether or not you're my friend, but not because I see you as more or less of human being.

I don't think equality attempts to treat everyone the same in the practical sense, but in the humanistic sense. Equity is about every day living.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Plotthickens

Re: Equality VS Equity

Post by Plotthickens » Mon Mar 19, 7:05 2018

That's incredibly well explained. Thank you.
DaHjaj 'oH QaQ jaj gerbils vISop