Cats are not emotionally attached to us

Moderators: rowan, Eravial

spacefem

Cats are not emotionally attached to us

Post by spacefem » Mon Sep 7, 16:59 2015

Summary: there was this study done with small children when attachment theories were being developed. They were in a room with their parents and observed when a stranger walked in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_situation

The theory was that a secure child will feel comfortable playing with a stranger while their parents are around, will be sad to see parents leave but will be comforted when parents returned. An anxious or insecure attachment was represented when the child was not comforted by the return of their caregiver, or ambivalent to whether or not their caregiver was around.

Turns out when you repeat this study with cats, they do nothing to support the idea that they are attached to any one person, owner or caregiver. so I'm sorry cat people, your pets do not love you.

http://www.immortal.org/16671/cats-no-e ... tudy-says/
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

Neko

Re: Cats are not emotionally attached to us

Post by Neko » Mon Sep 7, 21:12 2015

I've got enough love. What I need is something indifferent to my existence that will claw the shit out of me if I touch its belly. Bonus points if it spontaneously freaks out and tears through the house like its tail is on fire.
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth:

monk

Post by monk » Tue Sep 8, 4:21 2015

^I've seen so many articles on people who need more indifference in their lives, it's comforting to know cats can fill this role.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
Sonic# wrote:If these opinions don't matter to you at all, then you are unfit for conversation

Morgentau

Post by Morgentau » Tue Sep 8, 12:25 2015

We all knew that, didn't we?

If I want someone in my house I have to clean up after, who demands dinner is ready at a certain time, ignores me at breakfast, and thinks he is the boss of the household, then I can just as well get a boyfriend. (Okay, actually no. The domestic violence committed by cats is less dangerous.)

Storage and Disposal

Post by Storage and Disposal » Wed Sep 9, 17:24 2015

spacefem wrote:
Turns out when you repeat this study with cats, they do nothing to support the idea that they are attached to any one person, owner or caregiver. so I'm sorry cat people, your pets do not love you.

http://www.immortal.org/16671/cats-no-e ... tudy-says/
They vocalized disdain, which could mean they were quite attached, they were frustrated, or that it was a learned response. Kind of a misleading article with a misleading title, but yeah. Cats are less clingy to owners than dogs. Doesn't mean cats aren't emotionally attached to owners.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

antfancier

Post by antfancier » Wed Sep 9, 17:38 2015

I almost one hundred percent agree with this, except when I take my cat for her rabies shot; she climbs out her box and huddles as close to me as she can, staring suspiciously at the vet.

But yeah, in general cats don't need us. That's why I like them so much. I know if anything ever happened to me she'd be able to survive on mice and insects until she could claw her way out of the apartment.

Zeph

Post by Zeph » Thu Sep 10, 11:36 2015

You're misinterpreting the article. It's not that simple. It's frustrating that it's socially acceptable for people to hate on my precious pets. So much ignorance surrounding these excellent companion animals.

Nerd1987

Post by Nerd1987 » Thu Sep 10, 13:10 2015

Maybe the cats tolerate more distance and time and it would take a longer period of time without contact for them to respond.

rowan

Post by rowan » Thu Sep 10, 13:17 2015

This seems like a pretty big stretch in conclusions based on what they did. What they really determined is that their behaviors are different from dog behaviors when their people aren't around. Well, duh.

Some of my cats have definitely looked to me for safety and security, in certain situations. Being with strangers in the room (but not threatening them) is generally not one of those situations (exception: current white cat who is terrified of anyone except me, but I would not subject him to this kind of study). Not all of my cats look to me for safety/security; some of them love people in general and love to go up to strangers and check them out.

Anyway, I think this is a pretty poorly designed study that doesn't really tell us anything much.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Morgentau

Post by Morgentau » Fri Sep 11, 5:23 2015

Joke aside, cats are solitary animals because only a limited number of cats can live off the prey animals in a certain area. That's basically it. Doesn't mean they can't love anyone, just that they have to be comfortable being alone. Because that's what they are designed for.

Nerd1987

Post by Nerd1987 » Fri Sep 11, 11:57 2015

I've wondered why lions have prides and though I have almost no knowledge of cats big and small I have never heard of other cats having prides. I have seen a video of a big black cat and another color one killing an anaconda. But yeah come to think of it I have heard of Lions even canabalizing their offspring.

Zeph

Post by Zeph » Wed Sep 16, 11:14 2015

There are too many things that are wrong with this article and original post, none of my drafts can cover every point I want to make.

Expect to see an incredibly long essay about cats and domesticated animals in the future. ;)

Nerd1987

Post by Nerd1987 » Sat Sep 26, 22:49 2015

Also some of the giveaways to how a small child is attached are related to their lack of object permanence right? Maybe the cats have object permanence.

Maro

Post by Maro » Wed Nov 4, 9:28 2015

I am trying to tell my cat that but she won't listen....