california bans microbeads

Moderators: rowan, Eravial

spacefem

california bans microbeads

Post by spacefem » Sun Oct 11, 8:06 2015

Apparently microbeads are terrible for the environment - made of plastic, yet they just wash down the drain, so it's like a quick path for plastic to end up in the water supply. So california has banned products with microbeads like exfoliating face wash:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... arine-life

I had no idea! I wouldn't have bought the products if I knew they were so bad (I do not live in California) - I guess I didn't think of them as plastic, I figured they were some biodegradable "soap but tougher" kind of material, did I miss the memo or what?

So yeah, no more microbeads huh. I guess we still have loofah sponges?
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

Aum

Re: california bans microbeads

Post by Aum » Sun Oct 11, 9:05 2015

Also? The whole exfoliating the body with plastic thing is kind of irksome.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

ladyhawk

Post by ladyhawk » Sun Oct 11, 10:39 2015

I didn't know they were made of plastic, either.

But...I make my own soap. And I use jojoba beads, which only have two ingredients: jojoba esters and titanium dioxide.

I guess I sort of thought the microbeads in stuff at the store was the same thing? Shows what I know.
Come, Maurice. What's a simple bite on the buttocks among friends? Here -- give me a nibble!

ablotial

Post by ablotial » Sun Oct 11, 11:13 2015

Really, plastic? Huh. Yeah, definitely didn't know that. Seems weird to use a loofah on my face but ... hm.

Eravial

Post by Eravial » Tue Oct 13, 0:29 2015

Yeah, microbeads can really mess with ecosystems. When they are still whole, they aggregate in fish and other aquatic animals and generally wreak havoc on the individual animal and anything that eats that animal. When they break down, they release a lot of the same chemical compounds released by plastic water bottles, such as BPA, which messes with animal reproductive systems, and styrene monomers, which are carcinogenic.

I used to use an apricot scrub with ground up apricot pits in it and it's a pretty good alternative. Admittedly, the pieces aren't as uniform as the microbeads, but it wasn't prohibitively bothersome. I just use a washcloth these days.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
Dizzy with possibility

Zeph

Post by Zeph » Tue Oct 13, 8:16 2015

I've been hearing about this for years. Critters eat them thinking that they are fish eggs.

I never used products with microbeads because they don't seem to exfoliate. I like Konjac style facial sponges.

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Oct 13, 11:05 2015

I knew about this, but I didn't know the details. Thanks for sharing, Eravial!
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Wed Oct 14, 10:37 2015

I always thought the microbeads were ground up pits or something, like the apricot scrub I used to have. Hmmmm, plastic microbeads is bad.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.