Cortana

Moderators: rowan, Eravial

rowan

Cortana

Post by rowan » Sun Sep 11, 14:20 2016

I had to put Windows 10 on my work computer, and it comes with this fairly snoopy thing called Cortana. If you don't want it, it's pretty easy to get rid of -- if you know how. Here's what seems to have worked:

Bring up your task manager (<ctrl>-<alt>-<del> then select task manager)
Scroll down until you find Cortana (it also has a helper program but just the one labeled Cortana should do). Right click and open the file location.
Try to rename it. Just add a letter or two ahead of the filename in case you choose to go back to using it.
It will not work but do not close the dialog.
When you have it saying "Try Again?" Switch back to the task manager. Right click on Cortana and choose "End Task". VERY QUICKY hit the Try Again button.

It might take a few tries to get the rename to stick, because Cortana boots itself back up pretty fast. I think I got it on try 3 though. :cocktail:

It may make searching your computer for files a little slower, but it won't be snooping. Since it's just renamed by just added a string of letters before it if you decide to roll back you can just delete those characters.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

MFS

Re: Cortana

Post by MFS » Sun Sep 11, 15:46 2016

Yeah, I am greatly displeased with the forced Cortana bullshit. I may try this method to rid myself of its vile dumbness.
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie

rowan

Post by rowan » Sun Sep 11, 16:35 2016

I should point out that Anonymous Rabbit told me about this. Thanks AR!

bonus: file explorer does not appear to be eating up all my CPU anymore

Nech

Post by Nech » Wed Sep 14, 4:26 2016

Yay first try! Go go double monitor! Thanks guys! :)
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

Aum

Post by Aum » Wed Sep 14, 9:00 2016

As a side question... is windows 10 really worth it? I have windows 8.1 and I used root access to permanently stop the annoying windows 10 upgrade reminder. I'm just so content with windows 8, kind of like how I was content with windows XP before shitty Vista came along. Then Windows 7 was OK, etc.

It's like every second release is garbage, so I'm paranoid about upgrading.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

rowan

Post by rowan » Wed Sep 14, 9:24 2016

I wouldn't upgrade, no. I think it's ok as a native install, there aren't that many annoying things to it, but I've heard bad things about the upgrade process.

It does work better with a touchscreen computer.