What web browser do you use?

Moderators: rowan, Eravial

melsbells

What web browser do you use?

Post by melsbells » Thu Oct 6, 15:32 2016

My favorite browser is dwb and it's about to become obsolete. It's fast, uncluttered. I can jump around easily with keyboard commands. It lets me be an asshole who notices when a website isn't "coded" well. But, it's no longer being developed/updated while it's dependencies are. It's already breaking down. My list of websites that I need to use another brower for keeps growing. The latest addition was unforunately my email server. I'm not prticularly happy with our other options. Does anyone have a recommendation for another lightweight key-command driven browser? What browsers dao you use and why?

MFS

Re: What web browser do you use?

Post by MFS » Thu Oct 6, 22:33 2016

MacWeb, iCab, and lynx because I enjoy ancient technology
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie

Starkid

Post by Starkid » Mon Oct 10, 19:15 2016

Chrome, I used to use safari but my new PC came with chrome installed already.
:star:

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Oct 11, 14:18 2016

I use firefox or chrome, depending. Some things don't run in chrome properly.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Aum

Post by Aum » Tue Oct 11, 18:24 2016

I use Firefox except for when I want to use Netflix. For some reason Netflix won't load in Firefox. I've troubleshooted this like crazy and the only way to overcome the problem is to start FF in safe mode, which makes it barely worth using.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Misandry_Reborn

Post by Misandry_Reborn » Wed Oct 12, 4:13 2016

Chrome these days as well as the new internet explorer. I use to use Firefox, but these days it is just too slow. If they update it and manage to make a stable branch then I might switch back, but as it stands now. Firefox is just too slow on my pc.
Give me a world and I will give you the stick.

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Thu Oct 13, 16:41 2016

Aum wrote:I use Firefox except for when I want to use Netflix. For some reason Netflix won't load in Firefox. I've troubleshooted this like crazy and the only way to overcome the problem is to start FF in safe mode, which makes it barely worth using.
Is there a problem with your silver light? Whenever I have Netflix problems on Firefox it's always silver light.

I usually use Firefox, occasionally internet explorer.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Aum

Post by Aum » Fri Oct 14, 1:43 2016

Will check :) Thanks for the suggestion.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Saberslash
Location: Not quite sure... AHHHH! WHAT WAS THAT?!?! Oh my god, its after me! AHHHHHHH-

Post by Saberslash » Fri Oct 14, 10:21 2016

Chrome, both at home and at work. Though to download some stuff at work I do have to use Internet Explorer or Edge.
Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me.
So throw me down and tie me up and show me that you like me.

I bet you are expecting some crass two balls joke here... Are you nuts? We'd get sacked!

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Fri Oct 14, 14:03 2016

On my home computers I use Firefox pretty exclusively. I haven't noticed it being slower on systems unless there was some intermediate issue, like a plug-in or another program on the computer.

At work I mostly use Chrome, save at one workstation where I tutor. It only has IE, and I don't have the admin passwords or the power to install an alternative browser.

I started using Firefox back when it was a much better option than IE. It was my first browser with tabs. I also support Mozilla's nonprofit mission. Over time, I've built up a collection of plug-ins I regularly use on it for research, like Zotero. It still functions as I'd want it. As for Chrome and IE, it's mainly convenience. Chrome does everything I want it to, and I really have no other option when I use IE.

Eravial

Post by Eravial » Fri Oct 14, 16:36 2016

Just Chrome, especially since Zotero added a Chrome plug-in. Before they did that, I used Firefox exclusively for saving research articles. I actually used to use Firefox as my primary browser, but switched to Chrome at some point. I can't really remember when or why...
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
Dizzy with possibility

CorvaWimberly

Post by CorvaWimberly » Mon Oct 24, 17:41 2016

I use Firefox. I have a few add-ons, just things for blocking ads and scripts and such. I've never heard of dwb, lynx, MacWeb or iCab, what are their pros and cons?

MFS

Post by MFS » Mon Oct 24, 19:38 2016

lynx, in its original form, was a text-only browser for the linux command line...

MacWeb was an early Mosaic-based browser that worked on 680x0 Macintosh systems (even my ancient MacSE with massive 40MB HD and 4M ram!)

iCab was another Mac browser - we had it running on a Mac IIcx - it was proprietary, though. Can't remember much about it, other than it worked and was faster than Netscape (pre-Mozilla) for that era of machine.
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Tue Oct 25, 10:52 2016

Chrome. With Ghostery and Adblocker.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

curlybae

Post by curlybae » Thu Oct 27, 6:19 2016

Chrome. Been using it for years now.

Lindsijep

What web browser do you use

Post by Lindsijep » Tue Nov 8, 14:36 2016

Hey guys, just wandering what browser most of you use?
From the Post Your Desktop thread, it would appear alot of you use Chrome.

I personally use Firefox and have done since FF3

Aum

Post by Aum » Tue Nov 8, 16:26 2016

Enigma wrote:
Aum wrote:I use Firefox except for when I want to use Netflix. For some reason Netflix won't load in Firefox. I've troubleshooted this like crazy and the only way to overcome the problem is to start FF in safe mode, which makes it barely worth using.
Is there a problem with your silver light? Whenever I have Netflix problems on Firefox it's always silver light.

I usually use Firefox, occasionally internet explorer.
I tried upgrading Silverlight but it didn't solve the problem. I've googled this problem like crazy but none of the suggested fixes work... I think it must be a fundamental incompatibility between Firefox, Silverlight and Netflix. I have friends who use Firefox and watch Netflix though, so I don't get it.