Nerdy bachelorette party ideas?

Moderators: rowan, Eravial

Eravial

Nerdy bachelorette party ideas?

Post by Eravial » Mon Mar 6, 16:48 2017

I'm throwing a bachelorette party weekend pretty soon for one of my best friends from college who's in graduate school for biomedical sciences. Actually, all six of the girls attending the weekend are in some form of biology- or medicine-related graduate program. I'll be the first person arriving at our AirBnB for the weekend since the rest are arriving together from their city, so I'm in charge of decorating it. I'd also be into doing some sort of party favor or something. Any ideas? For what it's worth, pretty much everyone attending is pretty similar to the bride - sharp, sarcastic, a little wild, feminist af, often boozy... Also, we'll be in New Orleans. :cocktail: :crazy:

All I've got so far is that I'll probably print out some webcomics like SMBC and xkcd that have to do with love/sex and tape them up around the house. I kind of want to figure out something with beakers, which are apparently like 12/$13 on Amazon for 50-100ml ones and would make excellent shot glasses!
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
Dizzy with possibility

Unvoiced_Apollo

Re: Nerdy bachelorette party ideas?

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo » Wed Mar 8, 7:20 2017

Eravial wrote:I'm throwing a bachelorette party weekend pretty soon for one of my best friends from college who's in graduate school for biomedical sciences. Actually, all six of the girls attending the weekend are in some form of biology- or medicine-related graduate program. I'll be the first person arriving at our AirBnB for the weekend since the rest are arriving together from their city, so I'm in charge of decorating it. I'd also be into doing some sort of party favor or something. Any ideas? For what it's worth, pretty much everyone attending is pretty similar to the bride - sharp, sarcastic, a little wild, feminist af, often boozy... Also, we'll be in New Orleans. :cocktail: :crazy:

All I've got so far is that I'll probably print out some webcomics like SMBC and xkcd that have to do with love/sex and tape them up around the house. I kind of want to figure out something with beakers, which are apparently like 12/$13 on Amazon for 50-100ml ones and would make excellent shot glasses!
I'm finding 4 packs of shotglasses shaped like beakers & flasks for around that price. Not sure if that's what you're already looking at.

Beyond being in biology or medical related fields, what kind of nerds are they?

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Wed Mar 8, 9:15 2017

This is dorky more than nerdy, and I won't be offended if I get flack over the lameness of this, but there were a couple of bachelorette outings in which, after a few warm-up drinks, we just stopped at a sex shop on the way to the bar/dinner and proceeded to window shop and point and giggle. It was fun just trying to figure out the physics of some kamasutra positions or pointing out the impracticality of some of the garments or just the sheer implausibility of some of the sex toys. I think maybe someone bought some flavored Kama Sutra body dust or penis lollipops for the small group or some trinket like that, nothing big. But I remember those stops being a ton of fun, and occasionally educational. Just something else you could add to the calendar of events if it’s a weekend-long affair. I never said my idea wasn't dumb. :P
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Wed Mar 8, 9:37 2017

Drink idea: making something green or blue and using glowsticks as cocktail swizzle sticks. (The mixed drink of choice in this case involved blue curaçao and vodka soaked in hot chili pepper.)

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Wed Mar 8, 9:48 2017

Sonic# wrote:Drink idea: making something green or blue and using glowsticks as cocktail swizzle sticks. (The mixed drink of choice in this case involved blue curaçao and vodka soaked in hot chili pepper.)
Oh, nerdy drinks, good idea... Might experimenting with molecular mixology be of interest? It's like a chemistry set for grown-ups only!
http://store.molecularrecipes.com/molec ... ology-kit/ Assuming you have access to a kitchen where you're staying...
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Eravial

Post by Eravial » Thu Mar 9, 12:05 2017

We will indeed have a kitchen! Glowstick cocktail stirrers would be awesome and super easy. That molecular mixology thing looks really cool, may look into that.

The bride's kind of a gamer and I know really likes Skyrim, but I think she's the only one who is. Otherwise, I think everyone's just into science in general.

Since pretty much all the options for bachelorette party decorations out there are some combination of pink, patriarchy, and penises, so I mentioned the xkcd/SMBC comics idea to the others and they were really into it! Together we've compiled like 2-3 dozen comics (threw in a few Dinosaur Comics) to hang around the house. I think it'll be a nice touch. :lol:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
Dizzy with possibility

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Mon Mar 13, 12:42 2017

You could go all retro and have Operation (the game with the tweezers and stuff) and some other games there.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Tue Mar 14, 14:55 2017

I'm still jealous of my brother's bachelor party where his friends each gave him a board game. Sounded way more fun than any of these types of shindigs that I've attended.

Ever since a friend of mine made me some agar agar dessert, I've wanted to make something similar and serve it in petri dishes.