I think I need a new laptop....

Moderators: rowan, Eravial

Nachos

I think I need a new laptop....

Post by Nachos » Fri Sep 8, 2:46 2017

Mine is about 10 years old and still running windows vista. It is only now starting to get super slow and not load stuff, possibly because support is ending for old systems like mine.

What recommendations do people have?

I need a pretty simple one because I don't game much online but powerful enough to do things fast. I also don't want a netbook, something a bit larger is better for me.

Also affordable.

Help?
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Sonic#

Re: I think I need a new laptop....

Post by Sonic# » Fri Sep 8, 14:43 2017

My current laptop is from the Dell Inspiron line. I got it for ~$300 US at a store, mainly to use the internet and write. I find the 11.6" monitor to be a good size for me (there may be similar models with larger monitor sizes). The touch screen is fun to play with on occasion. Most important for me, the keyboard is responsive and ordinary-sized, so it fits my large hands.*

It's almost 3 years old now and I'm really happy with it. My wife got a more recent model that's bigger and can play some games for ~$600.

* I actually really did want a netbook at one point, but at the time I looked, the keyboards were all like toy keyboards to me. Forget home row; I could only hunt and peck.

Jackninja5

Post by Jackninja5 » Sat Sep 16, 1:49 2017

My laptop is 5 years old and is a MacBook Pro OS X.
That's why we won't back down
We won't run and hide
'Cause these are the things we can't deny
I'm passing over you like a satellite
So catch me if I fall
That's why you stick to your game plans and party lives
But at night we're conspiring by candlelight
We are the orphans of the American dreams
Oh shine your light on me

Aum

Post by Aum » Sat Sep 16, 6:55 2017

Until my recent laptop, which is performance heavy and large, I always bought HPs. HP has the best warranties and customization options. I don't have a specific model in mind but researching the HP brand should bring up something for you.

My previous laptop that I had for 5+ years ran on Vista and I was soooo happy to get a new computer JUST to escape using that operating system!

My current computer is an MSI, which is actually a gaming computer... but I didn't buy it for that, I bought it because it's the fastest computer I could find. Never lags, I can run a million programs, and I can watch all the content I want without RAM issues. You might want to think outside of the box a bit and repurpose a computer for your own uses that was intended for something else, like I've done. :)
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Sun Sep 17, 9:40 2017

So I had a look at some at a store yesterday and have discovered that you can now get some pretty good external CD drives which opens up my options a bit. I'd like a 15" screen and a largeish keyboard that doesn't necessarily have the number pad on the side. There are some good options out there, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Trekstor, but now I need to do more research.

Probably not going to get a new one this week though!

rowan

Post by rowan » Sun Sep 17, 17:05 2017

I went with HP last time and have been pretty happy with it. I'm still sad Sony stopped making the VAIO but what can you do. I don't think Asus has as good a track record lately and I haven't heard about Trekstor. Lenovo is what IBM is calling their laptop these days, I just didn't like the feel of the keyboard as much as the HP, which is a big thing for me personally (so I always have to try in the store first).
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Sun Sep 17, 17:15 2017

Yeah, I also always have to try in store! A drawback for the more recent laptops is that they only seem to have one USB port! Seems very little for me....

rowan

Post by rowan » Sun Sep 17, 17:20 2017

oh really? ugh. Mine has three. I do need to get an external CD drive one of these days, though.

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Mon Oct 2, 17:59 2017

Got one!

http://www8.hp.com/de/de/products/lapto ... d=17505017

It's ok so far. Got to get used to windows 10 and stuff and I'm still busy installing everything. Also not as fast as I'd hoped it would be..... but then I am a multiple tab user and I'm also downloading and installing a bunch of stuff right now. That might be affecting it.

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Mon Oct 9, 12:25 2017

Decided this is far too slow for me. I need something with at least 8 RAM and more hard drive space! Argh. Back to searching :(

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Mon Oct 9, 13:24 2017

8 GB RAM is good. My gaming desktop has had that for 3 or 4 years now, and I can probably go another couple of years before I upgrade.

Do you have any thoughts about choosing between a SSD (solid-state drive - a faster hard drive that is more expensive per gigabyte of data) and an HDD (hard-disk drive - a more conventional drive)? It sounds like you want more space and faster speed. IMHO HDD can be fast enough with enough RAM, but the low latency of SSD has been attractive when I've used loaner laptops. But that's where my knowledge ends.

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Mon Oct 9, 15:08 2017

My biases suggestion is that it's Windows and not the hardware that's making the new computer unbearably slow. It's not always easy to find PC's without Windows already pre-installed, but I seem to remember that the price was significantly less getting a blank slate when we got ours 3ish years ago. Our start-up installs are always a huge pain though, probably because they're too customized. I'm not the user that needs the customization though, nor the user that deals with the head ache head on.

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Wed Oct 11, 12:40 2017

I'm basically trying to decide now between three/four laptops but this one is ready to go back (just have to restore factory settings apparently).

Opinions?

http://www.saturn.de/de/product/_lenovo ... 72097.html
http://www.saturn.de/de/product/_asus-s ... 77009.html
http://www.saturn.de/de/product/_hp-pav ... 26400.html
http://www.saturn.de/de/product/_hp-15- ... 26380.html

All are 8 RAM and 1TB, some have CD drives and some don't. Argh!

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Wed Oct 11, 15:15 2017

Do you want a CD drive? If so, go for one with that.

It's funny, because name-wise, I like the two without a "laufwerkstyp." Out of the two that have a laufwerkstyp, I like HP as a brand slightly more, but at this point I'm just going on consumer feels and the better processor. I'm not even sure it's that much better besides the processor.

rowan

Post by rowan » Wed Oct 11, 15:50 2017

I personally like having the number key pad on mine, so I'd go with the larger HP or the Lenovo just for that. But if weight is a factor and/or you don't care about that then I'd go by price point and/or other features you care about. Both the HP-15 and the Lenovo have DVD drives it looks like, but the HP is faster so that's probably where I'd wind up. Actually it looks a lot like the one I have apart from mine doesn't have the DVD drive, which I wish I did.

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Fri Oct 13, 10:38 2017

rowan wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 15:50 2017
... Actually it looks a lot like the one I have apart from mine doesn't have the DVD drive, which I wish I did.
I'm in the market for a new laptop, too, and I was ready to give up the internal DVD drive in favor of an external, but I'd assumed since I mostly wanted it for burning, not reading, and I only intend to use it sporadically, it would be fine. Is not having an internal DVD drive that much of a pain?
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

rowan

Post by rowan » Sat Oct 14, 13:45 2017

it would be less of an issue if I had an external one. ;) I don't use it often but I do use it, every now and then for software still and also sometimes for ripping CDs because I am old and buy my stuff on CD.

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Sun Oct 15, 14:44 2017

I got a new one! And it is finally finished installing and is now super fast :) Got an ASUS Vivobook S in a dark blue/grey colour with 12GB RAM and 1TB harddrive and a good typable keyboard and an external CD player in the end. I think I am happy with it! Time will tell....

Ileen Kotter

Post by Ileen Kotter » Thu Nov 2, 2:01 2017

Mine is 4 years and it's still working ok. However, I bought recently an iMac so that I could have a backup for my old acer. It's i5, 1TB, 16gb ram. I think it's pretty good.