Abortion: right or wrong?

poll all you want! we love polls!

Moderators: Tweek, Meperidine

What do you think about abortion?

There's nothing wrong with abortion-women should be able to choose
41%
Abortion is like murder-end of story.
19%
Abortion is murder, but women should still be able to choose.
41%

Total votes: 37

cheezygoodness

Abortion: right or wrong?

Post by cheezygoodness » Sun Mar 2, 16:18 2003

im writing an article thingy on abortion...
we're not lazy we just have reasonable goals.

spacefem

Post by spacefem » Sun Mar 2, 18:30 2003

I added a third option. I don't usually edit other people's polls, but honestly I couldn't pick from the first two, and I think a lot of members of this website will agree with me.

I think abortion is wrong and terrible, but we should never make it illegal... see what I mean? The morality issue is separate from the legality issue.

I guess technically, that makes me "pro-choice". I dunno. We've talked about this before but there's never been a poll on it, it'll be interesting to see where the numbers fall.

A.K.A. Z

Post by A.K.A. Z » Sun Mar 2, 18:41 2003

In my opinion it's not a baby. It's not saying "goo" or smiling at you, it's not even a thinking human being at the stage at which abortions take place, it's about at the evolutionary stage of a frog. I'm not a woman, nor am I god, so I can't possibly say that it should or should not mean anything or be counted as a life or not, but just inside my own head, it's not.
"The strategic adversary is fascism... the fascism in us all, in our heads and in our everyday behavior, the fascism that causes us to love power, to desire the very thing that dominates and exploits us." Foucault

hot_tamale_777

Post by hot_tamale_777 » Sun Mar 2, 20:30 2003

Women should have the freedom of choice, but abortion is very wrong. If she doesn't want a baby, she shouldn't have gone and, well, you know.
"Be ITALIAN!"- Famous Random Quote from Mrs. Thurman, my music teacher.
:monkey: beacause they're cute
la la la la la.....

StarsInUrEye

Post by StarsInUrEye » Sun Mar 2, 20:43 2003

i personally wouldnt ever have an abortion but i feel there is nothing wrong with it. there are many reasons people have abortions and i think some of the those reasons are credible.

Tweek

Post by Tweek » Mon Mar 3, 4:49 2003

I think it should be up to the woman concerned, I certainly don't consider it murder although I think it should only be done fairly early in the pregnancy, if the baby is advanced enough to survive outside its mother it should not be aborted.
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

sidhe

Post by sidhe » Mon Mar 3, 5:45 2003

seems the ranks are fairly evenly divided. when it comes to matters such as this, I'd have to quote Jason Mewes from Dogma. "Woman's body's her own goddamn business." That kind of detached viewpoint is pretty much where my opinion stands, because I've never been in that situation, and while unlike him, I may have to be, for the time being, I can still remain neutral, because it really is noone else's business but those concerned. ^.^ I do agree that life is life, and pretty damn important, but hey, it's none of my business what someone does with herself, and faced with a decision like that I'd have to go with the best option for all concerned.. I guess what I'm saying is we should trust women to make their own decisions about something like that.. and that's why people in general should be more intelligent, as well as more aware of not only their options, but of the backgrounds of each option and such. by the way, ever notice we females (that sounds grammatically incorrect, but somehow, it isn't!!!) get stuck with all the really tough decisions that generally affect more people than just ourselves?
--smirks--

cheezygoodness

Post by cheezygoodness » Mon Mar 3, 6:25 2003

I personally believe in abortion, if it's done first trimester. I think many women have good reasons and that they should have the right to choose if they can handle a child or not.
we're not lazy we just have reasonable goals.

tanooki

Post by tanooki » Mon Mar 3, 7:02 2003

if she said i am the daddy, i am all for abortion :P for now anyway

otherwise it comes down to the females choice i guess cos it is her body, however i dont consider it murder either... i think of it as like, an egg, we eat eggs but no one ever says we killed a chicken when we eat the egg
who let the dogs out... woof woof woof woof :puppy:

chocolatenutbar

Post by chocolatenutbar » Mon Mar 3, 7:05 2003

I don't believe in abortion... someone once explained it to me as the soon to be baby(or whatever you want to call it) didn't make the mistake, you or the other person did. Don't kill someone for a mistake they didn't make.
-:chocolate::nut: bar-
Nobody cares what you know until they know that you care. \o/

athena1999

Post by athena1999 » Mon Mar 3, 19:58 2003

Abortion is very wrong. Life begins at conception. A fetus is NOT part of the woman's body, it is a living thing, and a separate life. (sorry for sounding so preachy, but this is my belief.) And the reason we eat the egg is because there isn't a chicken embryo inside it.
"We must be the change we wish to see."
~Within Temptation

little jim

Post by little jim » Mon Mar 3, 20:38 2003

I'm VERY against abortion. I believe that even if the woman got raped or something she should still keep the baby. That baby is alive as you or me, and it deserves to have a chance to enjoy the wonders of life. Some people argue that you have the right to do what you want to your body, but really the baby is a body of its own.

4,000 babies are aborted every day. In a week, this adds up to 28,000 babies. In a year, a staggering 1,460,000 are killed. One of those 1,460,000 could grow up and discover a cure to cancer or AIDS. Or, that baby could just be an all around amazing person.

I believe that God is against abortions, too. He he created that life, and whether you want to or not you should bring it into the world. If you really don't want it, put it up for adoption. But at least give it the chance to live. It's God's will that none of his children are denied life. Awhile ago in church we had a sermon on this subject, and I was a bit more attentive than usual because this is something I feel very strongly about.

Anyway...I think I've made my point, so that's all I have to say.

FernGully

Post by FernGully » Mon Mar 3, 21:16 2003

Abortion is murder, but women should still be able to choose.
:fern:

Support Ferno-Raavynism! Down with oppressive Draakism!

zoe.

Post by zoe. » Mon Mar 3, 21:22 2003

its hard to pick just yes, no, or yes/no when asked a question like this. its a question that needs more explaining behind the opinion.
i chose that abortion is murder but women should stil lbe able to choose. like spacefem said, it should not be made illegal. if it was, we'd have even more deaths because of backalley abortion clinics or women trying to do it themselves with coat hangers and things like that.
i'm not all that cool. but i hope i will be someday.

FernGully

Post by FernGully » Mon Mar 3, 21:28 2003

zoe. wrote:if it was, we'd have even more deaths because of backalley abortion clinics or women trying to do it themselves with coat hangers and things like that.
thats a terrifying thought. Honestly, the thought of that just makes me want to be ill.
:fern:

Support Ferno-Raavynism! Down with oppressive Draakism!

spacefem

Post by spacefem » Mon Mar 3, 21:43 2003

tanooki wrote:otherwise it comes down to the females choice i guess cos it is her body, however i dont consider it murder either... i think of it as like, an egg, we eat eggs but no one ever says we killed a chicken when we eat the egg
that's because we don't eat fertilized eggs, you dork.

greenmunkey

Post by greenmunkey » Mon Mar 3, 22:37 2003

being a man i hav to say there is only 1 acceptable choce for a man to make and that is to leave it to the woman, after all i dont hav a uterus

o yeah and eggs r also 1 cell too, actually, an egg is like a chickens period...

Rainbow Dolphins

Post by Rainbow Dolphins » Tue Mar 4, 0:02 2003

I've always been for abortion- my thinking is I eat animals with no shame, and women who decide to have an abortion have much better reasons to not have the baby. Yes, a fetus is alive. Yes, you are killing it. I don't think it really knows you're killing it though; really, does a fetus is the first trimester know it's alive?? If it doesn't know of the life it's missing, are you really depriving it of anything?? Yes, that fetus could have grown up to a wonderly happy terrific person- on the flipside, that fetus could have grown up to be a miserable serial killer, and gotten away with the murders of dozens. It could have grown up to be the person to start the next world war. The chances of that are pretty slim, I know, but weigh those agaist the chances of the person to find the cure of AIDs or something like that. The point is, it's really too uncertain to base whether to get an abortion or not on, at least that's what I think. So, I base it on the person having it, and that person is not ready to have a child. She doesn't want a child. She could put it up for adoption, yes, but think of this: the world is overpopulated as it is... if there were 1,460,000 more people born every year, it would be much worse. I know that must sound horrible to some of you, basing taking a life on that, but I'm just trying to see the big picture. So yeah, that is my opinion.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

SBC

Post by SBC » Tue Mar 4, 14:42 2003

i think abortion should only be legal if giving birth would seriously hurt or kill the mother or if the pregnancy was the result of a rape. otherwise the mother should go through with the birth and put the baby up for adoption if she really didnt want it.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

KingTZ

Post by KingTZ » Wed Mar 5, 15:55 2003

tanooki wrote:if she said i am the daddy, i am all for abortion :P for now anyway
Me too!
You might be a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater! [Say it fast]

KingTZ

Post by KingTZ » Wed Mar 5, 15:56 2003

spacefem wrote:
tanooki wrote:otherwise it comes down to the females choice i guess cos it is her body, however i dont consider it murder either... i think of it as like, an egg, we eat eggs but no one ever says we killed a chicken when we eat the egg

Hey, aren't eggs fertilized when they're laid?
You might be a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater! [Say it fast]

tanooki

Post by tanooki » Thu Mar 6, 3:22 2003

KingTZ wrote:
spacefem wrote:
thats what i thought.... or i could be totally wrong and be a dork :P
who let the dogs out... woof woof woof woof :puppy:

hot_tamale_777

Post by hot_tamale_777 » Sat Mar 8, 1:15 2003

tanooki wrote:
KingTZ wrote:
spacefem wrote: that's because we don't eat fertilized eggs, you dork.
thats what i thought.... or i could be totally wrong and be a dork :P
You are officially a dork now. :P
"Be ITALIAN!"- Famous Random Quote from Mrs. Thurman, my music teacher.
:monkey: beacause they're cute
la la la la la.....

Nerdslut438

Post by Nerdslut438 » Mon Mar 10, 16:40 2003

Abortion is wrong in my eyes and I would never have an abortion. But that is just my opinion. I think it is unfortunate that some girl who has no trouble having unprotected sex(very iresponsible) ends up getting pregnant but I don't think they have the right to have their unborn child killed. Then again if some girl was raped and became pregnant I could understand the desire for an abortion. I think Abortion is more a problem of people not being careful. If they are going to have sex they should use protection and take other precautions if they don't want to get pregnant. But women still have the right to choose
wooo sorry I get worked up about stuff like this
=Manda=

Vacuous Featherheaded

Post by Vacuous Featherheaded » Mon Mar 10, 16:54 2003

[quote="tanooki"]if she said i am the daddy, i am all for abortion :P for now anyway

otherwise it comes down to the females choice i guess cos it is her body, however i dont consider it murder either... i think of it as like, an egg, we eat eggs but no one ever says we killed a chicken when we eat the egg[/quote]

Eggs that we eat were not furitlized, they cannot become lil' chickens, so techinalyyou didn't kill a chicken if you eat an egg. Just though I'd inform you.
If I was Purple, & you were Orange-we would look really weird.

A+B+C, why the heck do we think these letters ae square?

When you're scared, nevous, or you just miss your mommy, asume the fetal position.

:spin:
:pinktriangle: Sno cone!