Back to School!

Moderator: Zeph

Taurwen

Back to School!

Post by Taurwen » Sat Jul 15, 10:18 2017

So on Monday I have an appointment to reregister at my school. I'm pretty psyched about it because holy hell, I will get a degree if it kills me.
The only down size is Monday is also course enrollment day for my year which means I may not get my top picks (enrollment starts at like 5am and my appointment is at 130), but I was promised I'd be be registered and able to enroll before the second years start class selection on the 20th. Worse case scenario I end up taking a couple 200 level courses instead of all 300 level, but even that isn't the end of the world, it'll just give me a wider base to choose from later on as I have more prerequisites for certain classes.

I very much want to keep my job, and with a little one at home time is going to be tight, I'm thinking I'll try to only do one full year course and then take a couple winter semester courses, as my job (I work at the campus bookstore) is super busy September and pretty dead Nov-June.

It's taking forever, but my knew goal is to be an alumni by 2027 when the University celebrates it's 200th birthday lol

Sonic#

Re: Back to School!

Post by Sonic# » Sat Jul 15, 12:41 2017

I hope the meeting tomorrow goes well, as does registration!

rowan

Post by rowan » Sat Jul 15, 20:31 2017

Wooo! :) Hope you get some cool classes, one way or the other.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Mon Jul 17, 5:18 2017

Yaaaaay! Congratulations! :D
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Fri Jul 21, 14:09 2017

Best of luck in your courses. Did you end up with anything intriguing?

Taurwen

Post by Taurwen » Sat Jul 22, 9:48 2017

Thanks everyone. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Monday was a bit of a shit show, and they told me it'd take five business days to process my registration. Fortunately they did it much faster.
I got all my top choices, first semester I'm just taking Philosophy and Social Criticism, which will be interesting as I haven't taken a course based on criticism (well other than the fact that all philosophy is based on criticism lol)
And for second semester I enrolled for more classes than I needed, so now I just have to figure out if I want to drop Islamic Philosophy, Anthropology of Animals, or Issues of the Philosophy of Mind.

rowan

Post by rowan » Sun Jul 23, 10:46 2017

What's that last one about? Just based on title that's the one I'd drop lol

Taurwen

Post by Taurwen » Sun Jul 23, 11:23 2017

The course description states

In this course we will introduce and examine two central questions in the philosophy of mind: (1) how is it that the mind is able to think about particular things outside of itself? (2) What is the place of the mind in nature?

Our discussion of question (1) will lead to encountering such sub-questions as: what must thought about particular external things be like? What kind of relation must obtain between a mind and an external object for the former to think about the latter? Could it be that some kinds of external things can be thought about whilst there are also others that cannot?

Our discussion of question (2) will lead to encountering sub-questions like: how does the ontological status of the mind effect possible answers to question (1)? Is there any conflict between what the physical sciences say and our ordinary conception of the mind? Are minds truly wholes, or mere arrangements of parts?

There's a good chance I'll drop it, it's my only Monday class, and if I drop it I only have classes tues/wed/Thurs which will be easier to work around. But I did take a class about the philosophy of mind/brain/body that was great... And it's in one of my favourite buildings. And I'm shallow enough that that matters to me lol

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Sun Jul 23, 12:41 2017

^ That topic sounds somewhat interesting to me, but I could also see that turning into a nightmare if it were taught badly.

rowan

Post by rowan » Mon Jul 31, 19:59 2017

I'd go for a T/W/Th schedule if it were me. More days off!

What did you wind up doing?

geldofc

Post by geldofc » Wed Sep 13, 6:17 2017

i'm taking a final class, that i need to study for, with a lab. so 3 days a week tues/thurs/fri. i'm going for an RN degree but i probably won't have it until my mid 30s because i'll be moving to Montreal for some time next year. ;)
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

Jackninja5

Post by Jackninja5 » Sat Sep 16, 1:44 2017

I have only a few days left of school as I'm in twelfth grade. I have two sets of exams to do though. T_T
That's why we won't back down
We won't run and hide
'Cause these are the things we can't deny
I'm passing over you like a satellite
So catch me if I fall
That's why you stick to your game plans and party lives
But at night we're conspiring by candlelight
We are the orphans of the American dreams
Oh shine your light on me

rowan

Post by rowan » Sun Sep 17, 17:01 2017

good luck!