Employer Education Verification

Moderator: Zeph

Elise89

Employer Education Verification

Post by Elise89 » Sat Apr 9, 17:36 2016

I graduated college in 2011. 28k a year x 4. Can someone please tell me why after all these years no has ever asked for my transcripts?? Or for proof of any kind? Even when I call my college they want me to send a waiver form. Due to various privacy acts, many schools refuse to confirm or deny attendance. Even then, if I have any remaining balance the transcripts are locked and cannot be released until the balance is clear.

So I just essentially went deep into debt for something I never even needed....Like what the heck.... This is bothersome to me.

spacefem

Re: Employer Education Verification

Post by spacefem » Sat Apr 9, 18:23 2016

that's weird! where I work, we hire engineers, an engineering degree is required to come to work. we require transcripts before you even interview. a few years out your degree matters less and less, I'll admit, but that's only because your latest job is the most important thing, and your job before that and your job before that until your first job that depended on your degree so, yeah. But basically by job #5 or whatever they're basically taking your word for it and depending on references.

but it still matters. if they found out that an employee lied about having a degree I bet it'd be a serious issue.
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

rowan

Post by rowan » Sat Apr 9, 18:28 2016

Usually when transcripts are requested, you do the sending (you can send direct from the school if wherever cares about that), which takes care of the privacy issue. But yeah the schools will make you clear your balance first. A lot of places will take unofficial transcripts (which are cheaper).

Depends on the job though I suppose.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Bork

Post by Bork » Sat Apr 9, 21:51 2016

I only needed my transcripts for grad school applications. Didn't need them for either job I've had since graduation, they just kind of took me on my word that I graduated with a degree in what I said. Although I also didn't go into a field directly related to what I studied, so maybe that's why.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Elise89

Post by Elise89 » Sat Apr 9, 23:04 2016

Notice to all graduates this year! Print your transcripts prior to leaving your school and make as many copies as possible. Any debt associated with your attendance will lock them. Some major universities can be contacted by a future employer via phone call, most cannot. FERPA, The Family Educational and Privacy Act is very strict with most institutions on what they are allowed to release. A product of the student debt crises.

spacefem

Post by spacefem » Sun Apr 10, 9:16 2016

Yeah I should have mentioned that - my company accepts unofficial transcripts. Just go online and print *something* and we'll assume you didn't totally make it up.

Elise has a very good point though about printing BEFORE you leave though!
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

Isabella357

Post by Isabella357 » Mon Apr 11, 17:02 2016

I switched jobs a couple months ago and just realized that it's a good thing I didn't have to provide proof because my previous employer required the original transcripts when I graduated, but they never returned them to me. (They swear they did, but I am positive they did not. They cost my $29.95!)

Print ALL college transcripts and request plenty of sealed envelope ones too in case you ever transfer. I had to buy a Spanish book for a class I never took (I speak Spanish fluently) because when I requested my transcripts to transfer, the book store claimed I never returned a book I supposedly rented my freshman year. I couldn't prove that I had never even taken Spanish there because I didn't have my transcripts although they made it clear that my transcripts wouldn't absolve me of the $100+ fee to replace the book. Sigh. This topic is bringing back how frustrating and stupid higher education administration is. Graduation is the only escape!

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Mon Apr 11, 17:46 2016

spacefem wrote:Yeah I should have mentioned that - my company accepts unofficial transcripts. Just go online and print *something* and we'll assume you didn't totally make it up.

Elise has a very good point though about printing BEFORE you leave though!
^ This is really good to know. I know I worry inordinately about whether my unofficial transcripts are sufficient, because getting official ones is such a pain.

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Tue Apr 12, 10:41 2016

I need to have official transcripts for the application I'm doing now to assess my learning and when I applied for a Masters too. Very frustrating. But I got one original and three approved copies when I graduated. Just gotta keep making more copies :)
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Tue Apr 12, 16:34 2016

Yeah I've never had to give proof.

I did hear a story of someone who worked somewhere for years and then it was discovered they lied about their degree. It was awkward, they were an executive.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

antfancier

Post by antfancier » Wed Apr 13, 3:39 2016

I've needed my transcripts and degree certificate for two jobs, although in both cases my visa was dependent on my work so there was a lot of documentation required. But I have been required to show my certificate and transcripts during interviews for at least two other jobs.
Enigma wrote:I did hear a story of someone who worked somewhere for years and then it was discovered they lied about their degree. It was awkward, they were an executive.
There was someone at the first school I worked at who had used a fake degree to get her job. She only got caught because she was swindling money. I wasn't there that day, but they called the police who came and arrested her in front of everyone.

Aum

Post by Aum » Thu Apr 14, 9:15 2016

Before I became self-employed my bosses never inquired into my education, they just accepted my word. I also found this strange. Granted, my jobs were non-specific to my degree. I think if you apply for an engineering job and claim you have an engineering degree, it makes sense they check, otherwise it's "just a degree" to the employer.

It's kind of a sign of how saturated the degree market is now.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.