I (finally) graduated.

Moderator: Zeph

ladyhawk

I (finally) graduated.

Post by ladyhawk » Thu May 12, 20:41 2016

So, that's it, 'femmers. I finally graduated college. Certainly not from a prestigious school, and it's only an associate's degree, and it took me...entirely too long to complete, but it's done. I still plan on continuing my education, but this'll have to do for now, because I'm not willing to work and go to school while my kids are so little. I'm sure someone with amazing time management skills could do it, but I'm not that someone.

I know I should feel accomplished, and proud of myself, but I don't. I'm 26. I graduated highschool 10 years ago. I feel like I've done way too little with so much time.

Then again, maybe I haven't done too little. I was in the Army for five of those years, have been married for seven of them, and a mother for five of them. In between all that, I managed time for school. Little time, which is what took me so long, but still.

Still, though, not feeling super accomplished.

And to dampen my mood further, the family members I invited to my graduation (my parents, sister, and inlaws) not only didn't show up, but also couldn't even be bothered to get back to me about whether they could make it. I mean, I don't even merit a response? Now I really feel like my accomplishments don't matter.

Did anyone else feel kinda bummed after graduation? If so, what did you do about it? Does it get better?
Come, Maurice. What's a simple bite on the buttocks among friends? Here -- give me a nibble!

Sonic#

Re: I (finally) graduated.

Post by Sonic# » Thu May 12, 20:57 2016

First, I just want to say this: ladyhawk, you've been around for five years, and for five years I've thought you were a badass. Having been in the Army, being married, having young kids, working and making it work. You've done a lot.

That was rude of your family.

I felt somewhat overwhelmed after graduation. I wasn't bummed exactly; I knew what I would be doing, but I didn't know if I would be suited for it, or even if I necessarily wanted to do it. For me, it took time to get better. Taking walks and doing exercise helped to keep my mind up. That summer, I also took up a couple of books that I'd never thought about before - in my case, Joseph Campbell and myths. It helped me get out of my own head, if that makes sense.

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Fri May 13, 8:50 2016

Congratulations! Well done you! That is an awesome achievement and even better because you did it while working and married and with kids. I am proud of you :) That your family can't appreciate that is stupid and I'm sorry about them.

After graduation I felt quite aimless for a very long time. I still feel a little aimless.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

rowan

Post by rowan » Fri May 13, 9:01 2016

WOOO HOOOO! YOU DID IT! You did it while having so much else going on that is AMAZING! GO YOU!

I think it's totally normal to feel a little weird after graduation. In fact I often advise students that they will feel a mix of feelings, and often they are things like what you're describing.

Your family is totally rude. Sheesh.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

ladyhawk

Post by ladyhawk » Fri May 13, 15:43 2016

Thanks guys. It's good to know I'm not alone.

And my other (heavily pregnant, can't travel) sister made ip for my shitty parents by sending me a delicious edible areangement.
Come, Maurice. What's a simple bite on the buttocks among friends? Here -- give me a nibble!

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Fri May 13, 17:15 2016

YAY YOU!!! Congratulations! I second everything Sonic said about you being a badass. I'm working and going to school right now, and it's really hard. I can barely even imagine having kids too, but YOU DID IT!!!

I felt really bummed out after graduation too. I didn't have a job, was moving back in with my parents, and wasn't sure when I would next see my boyfriend. I was ready to move on from school but I didn't know what the next step was, and that was really difficult.

Bork

Post by Bork » Fri May 13, 19:22 2016

HELLS YEAH FOR GRADUATION!!!!! That is so exciting - so happy for you!

That was such a weird feeling, finally being done with college. To have something that was such a massive part of my life suddenly be over and completely done... and then to have to figure out where to go next, completely unstructured. Still a bit of a weird feeling.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

ladyhawk

Post by ladyhawk » Sat May 14, 9:50 2016

Well, I know what to do next. My degree is very specific -- it's in paralegal studies. My new struggle is finding a job. I had an interview, and I thought it went well, but a month passed and I didn't hear anything. So, I sent the attorney an e-mail. He e-mailed me back to, rather flippantly, inform me that he hadn't decided yet, and he'll get to it when he gets to it. Now, even if he offers me a job, I'm not sure I want to go work for him.

I'm pretty stressed about finding a job. I figure if I can find a job by the middle of next month that pays at least $25,000/year (I know that's low, but it will replace my GI bill income, and I know we can live on that) I'll be golden. I don't think that's unrealistic. Still stressed, though.

Also, thanks for all the support, guys. I need it!

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Sun May 15, 15:27 2016

Congratulations! Enjoy your fruit flowers and best of luck on the job hunt.