Opening an online shop

Moderator: Zeph

curlybae

Opening an online shop

Post by curlybae » Thu Oct 27, 6:16 2016

My friends and I are considering opening an online shop selling handicrafts we've made like cross stitches, knitted stuff, etc. Regarding the set up, does anyone know how we can accept credit card payments in a secure way?

rowan

Re: Opening an online shop

Post by rowan » Thu Oct 27, 12:15 2016

Doing it yourself is really cruddy. I'd use paypal or etsy or some other system that already is in place that deals with the secure aspect separate from yourself. While it's annoying to have them take a %, the fact that they would be liable for issues, IMO makes it worth it. (I looked into this for donations for a non-profit I was part of a while back)
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Charli!

Post by Charli! » Thu Oct 27, 12:54 2016

Actually writing it yourself is very hard work, there's laws in many countries about the requirements and you could be subject to things like audits.

I'd use paypal (really easy, free) or something like worldpay or sagepay. People using your shop know these and trust them, and they're pretty easy to set up.

I'm a web developer, so this is basically what I do for a living- and I wouldn't write my own credit-card stuff.

curlybae

Post by curlybae » Sun Oct 30, 20:46 2016

I don't know much about programming so I wasn't actually going to write it myself. :)
About only using Paypal, it'd be limited to only those who have it and I don't want to have to make my potential customers sign up for one just because they want to buy our product. So, instead, I'll be using Paypal with a merchant account and online credit card processing. From what I read, it's a gateway for accepting credit card payments.

rowan

Post by rowan » Sun Oct 30, 21:10 2016

Yeah I've used paypal without an account. I mean I do have an account but I'm lazy and sometimes forget my password, but as a consumer I don't need to log in or anything.

Aum

Post by Aum » Thu Nov 3, 5:23 2016

There are plenty of credit card services that can be tied to web commerce without using Paypal. You don't need to have a Paypal account to receive a Paypal invoice from a merchant and pay it, you just need an account to issue one. However, those extra steps can alienate some customers.

On the other hand, the other credit card interfaces always take a percentage per transaction, so if your business is just a startup, it can get expensive for you quickly.

PayPal has a dark side. I have had friends have their accounts suspended and funds withheld for no reason stated. We're talking hundreds of dollars.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

rowan

Post by rowan » Thu Nov 3, 9:11 2016

^I've heard of crap like that. There's also google store, or something.