Flying while pregnant, Split from Cartoons for Little Girls in Feminism

Moderator: melsbells

waleeed

Flying while pregnant, Split from Cartoons for Little Girls in Feminism

Post by waleeed » Wed Feb 10, 23:55 2016

The sheet my doctor gave said that I can fly up to 36 weeks as long as my pregnancy is normal (which it is). But when my coworker found out I was scheduled for a work trip in mid June weeks 29/30 for me, she freaked out that "YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO FLY DURING THIRD TRIMESTER!!!" and was trying to get my boss to take me off "for my safety". And now it is looking like the trip might need to be rescheduled for the first week of july (weeks 32/33). Bad idea? I'd really like to go...
waleeed

lyra211

Re: Cartoons for Little Girls

Post by lyra211 » Thu Feb 11, 9:20 2016

^Definite overreaction, Waleed. I took a ~3-hour flight to Chicago in this pregnancy at 30 weeks to give a talk at a conference, and it was fine. (I'm also slightly high-risk, on blood thinners, etc.) My approach was to make the trip short (two days) and wait until a couple weeks in advance to book the tickets, just in case I developed complications. I figured the extra cost of the tickets was worth it given the low risk that I'd have to cancel last-minute (admittedly, this works better when you're flying into a major airport like O'Hare, where tickets never get *too* expensive).

People are wacky about pregnant women traveling, but the risks before 32 weeks (and really before 36 weeks) are pretty negligible for the vast majority of women. You could send this article to your coworker:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyle ... olumn.html

And in other news, I heartily second the Avatar suggestion!

rowan

Re: Cartoons for Little Girls

Post by rowan » Fri Feb 12, 13:19 2016

Yeah don't sweat it, your coworker is being weird.

Let's move this over to preg & parenting.
(I have to go teach but can in a few hours if someone else doesn't do it first)
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Enigma

Re: Flying while pregnant, Split from Cartoons for Little Girls in Feminism

Post by Enigma » Mon Feb 15, 17:21 2016

Split!
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

spacefem

Post by spacefem » Mon Feb 15, 21:01 2016

Crap I was flying myself in unpressurized cabins at 36 weeks. After that, you just stop so you don't accidentally go into labor in the plane. It's messy. They hate that.

Go, travel, have fun, embrace your independence!
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

Sassquatch

Post by Sassquatch » Mon Feb 15, 22:29 2016

Why is your coworker making it their business??

trillianastra

Post by trillianastra » Wed Feb 17, 19:01 2016

Sassquatch, that's what I was wondering too! A friend who has three kids gave me some great advice about being pregnant. She said, "You're going to get advice from everyone. Feel free to ignore it unless it comes from your doctor!" (And she's a nurse, so for her to even exclude herself from the "advice-giving" permission list was crazy, IMO!)