Advice for surviving the last days of pregnancy?

Moderator: melsbells

lyra211

Advice for surviving the last days of pregnancy?

Post by lyra211 » Mon Feb 15, 20:00 2016

My due date is Thursday. I'm going a little nuts here. Hospital bags are packed. Sufficient baby clothes are laundered. Diapers and wipes are stocked. Safe sleeping place exists. I've been driving around a properly installed car seat for weeks. There is nothing else to do but wait. There's only so much cute together time my husband and I can have, and after all, we just did Valentine's Day. I've wrapped up my major projects at work, and it's not like it makes sense to start new ones. Every time I walk into a room or someone walks by my office I get a chirpy "You're still here!" I feel large and achy and slightly crummy all the time, and can't focus on much other than pregnancy thoughts, but I've also thought all the pregnancy thoughts and read all the pregnancy/baby books already.

How did you all survive the last few days (please let it only be days!) of pregnancy? How did you occupy your brain? Is there anything you wish you'd done instead? Anyone got some favorite time-wasting links to share? Help a girl out here...

spacefem

Re: Advice for surviving the last days of pregnancy?

Post by spacefem » Mon Feb 15, 21:07 2016

Make plans, that's my advice! Set up lunch dates with friends, find out what parties are going on this weekend, write down something fun that you can look forward to every day to give yourself reasons why you'll be happy to just be pregnant.

And start a project at work that takes a couple days :) because I've been there... doing the "just little stuff" projects for weeks, you'll go nuts.

Really, your baby will be here before you know it but making alternative plans is like having an umbrella... Plan for rain and what do you know the sun comes out.
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

Gnarlbanya

Post by Gnarlbanya » Tue Feb 16, 3:26 2016

I watched a lot of Netflix, taught myself to knit and made baby hats, and did loads of baking. Neither of the latter two have happened since she arrived. Also, once she was a week overdue I started writing letters of complaint to my local politician (seriously, I think I was going a bit nuts). Bub is now six months and I still haven't received a reply...

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Feb 16, 3:30 2016

Check some books out and read them. Some not-baby books I mean. I agree with spacefem about the work thing. It'll be fine, just make sure you also leave notes for whoever takes it over when you're out. Definitely hang out with friends, talk about anything but the baby (I mean you've probably already had all those conversations right?) I went to a wedding a couple days before, y'know, no big deal. Go see a movie. Or rent one if you don't feel like going out... anything to take your mind off the waiting.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Mashenka1985

Post by Mashenka1985 » Tue Feb 16, 5:28 2016

I just got on the phone with everybody, who wouldn't talk about pregnancy with me and had a lot of sleep. But the best idea of the time was watching a Brazilian soap opera from he childhood! Or some good old stuff like "Pretty woman" and "fight club" - anything that reminded me of the time when I had no responsibilities worked perfectly for me. As for the read - check this list, maybe there's something left...
But I currently like good old Freud - really interesting. Learning something you didn't know before may occupy your brain for a while. Did somebody mention knitting? ;)

lyra211

Post by lyra211 » Wed Feb 17, 10:16 2016

Good advice, y'all. Thanks. :-)

About crafts: a friend had the same idea, and gave us a sewing kit that is supposed to result in this dragon. Who is totally adorable. So far he only has arms and wings (no body), but he is saving my sanity, along with phone and Netflix. I really do need to start a new work project -- maybe that'll be my goal for the day!

The other thing that is saving my sanity today is having a plan in place for baby eviction next week. Don't know how y'all feel about induction, but my reading tells me that induction at 41 weeks is reasonable (decreases risk of stillbirth without increasing risk of c-section), and that's what my doctors are recommending (technically 40w6d, which would be a week from today -- trading off one more day of gestation for having our preferred doctor on call out of their practice of 5). I'd prefer spontaneous labor, so that's what I'm hoping for sometime over the next week, but I'm also happy to have a plan in place in case little fellow decides not to make a timely appearance. It's wacky how the closer you get to your due date, the more it feels like you're going to be pregnant forever, when really you're MORE likely to go into labor sooner! I wish I could actually believe it!

rowan

Post by rowan » Thu Feb 18, 13:48 2016

oh gosh that is adorable little dragon

Hope you get your spontaneous labor sooner rather than later ;)

Ucallthesebagels

Post by Ucallthesebagels » Sun Mar 13, 11:35 2016

All good advice on this thread.

My supposed due date has come and gone so now we wait till baby tells us it's time as it was always the plan. I'm not as anxious as my family and friends are as I know baby has plans. I am sure the wait is worse if you are 41-42 weeks.

We will enjoy the sun and play with our dog when I'm not sleeping and I plan to sweep under the couch and bake some bread. Nothing too eventful but nothing that's to taxing either.

Some ideas: Flossing teeth. Scrubbing grease/grim from glasses. Writing a letter to the baby with some pictures hand drawn.

lyra211

Post by lyra211 » Wed Mar 16, 18:41 2016

Checking back in here briefly to report that I've survived the last days of pregnancy and am now mom to an adorable 3-week-old!

I survived those last few days through a combination of internet binging, hanging out with friends, and continuing to go to work even though I wasn't getting a lot of work done. While I was in early labor, I went to a talk about gravitational waves, and timed my contractions throughout (they were 7-8 minutes apart at that point). During the talk, I decided that labor contractions are basically the opposite of the gravitational wave signature of a binary black hole merger -- the amplitude and frequency increases until suddenly there are two bodies instead of one! :-)

spacefem

Post by spacefem » Wed Mar 16, 20:54 2016

Awe, congratulations! He's adorable and I'm so glad you're doing well :) how's nursing going, everybody happy?

You know speaking of going nuts, I will say I neglected to mention what I ACTUALLY did in my last weeks of my first pregnancy... a survey about due date accuracy with results stored in a MySQL database to process survey questions asking moms when they had babies, followed by a dozen or so charts to represent the data in different ways... obsessive? Yeah. That's pregnancy.

love your observation on the waves.

Bork

Post by Bork » Wed Mar 16, 22:19 2016

He's so precious!!!
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

antfancier

Post by antfancier » Thu Mar 17, 15:09 2016

lyra211 wrote:Checking back in here briefly to report that I've survived the last days of pregnancy and am now mom to an adorable 3-week-old!
Yay! Congratulations!

I was looking forward to trying all these ideas for passing the time, but my baby made an early appearance this week and now I'm halfway through watching Jessica Jones and really wanting to finish it but feeling too exhausted to concentrate well.

rowan

Post by rowan » Thu Mar 17, 20:36 2016

lyra211 wrote:I decided that labor contractions are basically the opposite of the gravitational wave signature of a binary black hole merger -- the amplitude and frequency increases until suddenly there are two bodies instead of one! :-)
:lol: that's the best!

Congrats to both you both, lyra211 and antfancier! Woo!

iamregina

Post by iamregina » Tue Apr 19, 0:32 2016

lyra211 wrote:Checking back in here briefly to report that I've survived the last days of pregnancy and am now mom to an adorable 3-week-old!

I survived those last few days through a combination of internet binging, hanging out with friends, and continuing to go to work even though I wasn't getting a lot of work done. While I was in early labor, I went to a talk about gravitational waves, and timed my contractions throughout (they were 7-8 minutes apart at that point). During the talk, I decided that labor contractions are basically the opposite of the gravitational wave signature of a binary black hole merger -- the amplitude and frequency increases until suddenly there are two bodies instead of one! :-)
Congratulations for surviving the last days of your pregnancy! :rainbowsmile:
Last edited by iamregina on Thu May 5, 9:12 2016, edited 1 time in total.

AmanadaMiller

Re: Advice for surviving the last days of pregnancy

Post by AmanadaMiller » Tue Apr 26, 4:47 2016

Hi, Lyra211,

I hope you are doing good. First of all congrats for your pregnancy. I’m writing this while 38 weeks pregnant–not dilated, not effaced, no contractions, nothing. This is my third baby. The first two had to be evicted or they might have stayed in there forever (at least that’s how it felt at the time). I know not all women go all the way to the due date or beyond, but for those who do, we share this in common: the last month is tough!
You feel huge, uncomfortable, and probably a little (or a lot) impatient. Time seems to move in slow motion. The aches increase by the day. It’s impossible to make plans. You’re more than eager to meet your little kicker on the outside.

I’m experiencing this “waiting game” for the third time right now. I can’t wait to meet my little girl! But after doing this a couple times, I have to say that it’s a little easier this time around. Here are some tips that can hopefully help you make the most of the last month.

Here are some tips for Surviving the Last Month of Pregnancy-

1)Enjoy sleep while you can
2)Relax as much as possible
3)Try not to obsess over signs and symptoms
4)Do some freezer cooking
5)Expect the unplanned

For more information on this you can also check out these links.
http://www.ivillage.ca/pregnancy/surviv ... tial-guide
http://www.fssc.com.au/
I am sure it is going to help you feel better.
Amen!!

Lia913

Post by Lia913 » Mon May 2, 5:13 2016

Think about everything you would like to do with your child after birth. How you'll take care of the baby? Who will your baby look like? Think about breastfeeding, maybe (sorry that I suggested this topic if you're not going to BF): it has it's advantages, but it's still not for everyone. Or you can just read a good book! :)

Gnarlbanya

Post by Gnarlbanya » Mon May 9, 0:19 2016

Looking back now, I think I'd recommend against thinking or reading much about the baby while playing the waiting game. The next few months will be occupied with nothin' but baby whether you like it or not, so you can think and read about baby stuff then. Once all the practical stuff is in place, just do things for yourself, anything that would be hard once a baby arrives.

spacefem

Post by spacefem » Tue May 10, 5:47 2016

locking this because it's attracting weird spam. good advice though.

I agree with gnarl though - obsessing with BABY BABY BABY WISH MY BABY WAS HERE is probably not a good way to spend your last days of pregnancy, unless you want to drive yourself completely insane. distraction was my friend.