Carriers vs Ring Sling

Moderator: melsbells

Tsinkashala

Carriers vs Ring Sling

Post by Tsinkashala » Sat Aug 27, 20:38 2016

Hi. I'm a single mom basically raising my daughter on my own as I couldn't get help from my mom or any relatives. My daughter is now 5 months old. I have a second hand stroller that was slightly used but my problem is that it is so bulky and quite difficult to assemble. I always need to bring the car instead of just taking the train. When shopping, I sometimes need to look for the elevator and wait for it, rather than using the stairs which is in front of me already. I saw some people using carriers and I think that is way more practical. The question is which should I buy? The ring sling which is reviewed here or a carrier which is reviewed here. Any feedbacks regarding the use of these products would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

rowan

Re: Carriers vs Ring Sling

Post by rowan » Sun Aug 28, 17:26 2016

We have a local group that lets people borrow/try out. I think if you can find a group like that local to you, from what I can tell it is really very personal preference. If you can't find a group maybe you could get two and return the one you don't like (if you can afford that) or sequentially try them? I had a carrier which I liked but my friend prefers the slings
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

antfancier

Post by antfancier » Sun Aug 28, 22:18 2016

If you are is the USA, then Babywearing International (http://babywearinginternational.org/about-bwi/chapters/) may have a group near you. You could also try going to a baby & kids store which has carriers you can try on there before you buy. I definitely recommend trying on first - baby carriers are expensive and you want to make sure you have a good fit. As Rowan said, it's a very personal preference that depends on your baby's size and your own body type, as well as your lifestyle and the climate where you live.

If you do decide to go for one of the more expensive ones, you can get some good deals on used carriers that are still in great condition. I have seen a lot of Ergo carriers for sale on Craigslist and if you use Facebook there are some sales groups too - search for Babywearing On a Budget, which serves North America.

careme777

Post by careme777 » Tue Aug 30, 11:31 2016

Personally, I think you get more bang for your buck from a good soft structured carrier (SSC) with buckles and a waist band and all that. Some people find ring slings to be comfortable, but I was never able to get the hang of it for long periods of time. If you're going to be out shopping or taking the train, a good SSC is the way to go.

Ring slings have their place, but I think their advantage is for smaller children and for quick pick ups. Say you have a cranky baby and you need to get the laundry done, stick them in a ring sling. For longer walks and bigger babies, the carrier is the way to go. With your little one at 5 months, I think you should look into a SSC.

That being said, there are lots of carriers out there. I would definitely recommend finding a babywearing group in your area that will let you try out a few. I have a Lillebaby, which I really really like, but I also have never had another kind. If money is tight, you should also check out your local online classifieds or B/S/T groups for baby wearing. There are often a few to choose from for sale at a discount if you don't mind that another baby has drooled on it.

ETA: You might also look into an umbrella stroller, which is a stroller that is lightweight and collapses small for easy transport. No assembly required.

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Tue Aug 30, 14:36 2016

I had a soft structure carrier that was a hand-me-down and I didn't like it. I always felt like it was pulling on my back in the wrong way and gave the kid too much freedom to get a good momemtum swing hurting my back more. I had a scarf that I could use as a rebozo style carrier and I thought it was more comfortable but not very versitile (it would fit similarly to a ring sling). The scarf was just long enough for my spouse to use it, but very uncomfortable that way. I ended up getting a ridiculous amount of linen fabric, cutting it in half length wise and hemming the cut edge to make a long wrap. That was my favorite. It was the most comfortable for me, it could be retied for my spouse of a different size, and my kid would have outgrown our other options while we were still using the long wrap.

I also found baby wearing international to be a great resource, even though I'm not in the U.S. They have excellent tutorial videos and advice on choosing a carrier.

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Aug 30, 18:54 2016

I had a bad back at the time so the bjorn carrier with extra support was the one I used. It was hot, but my back didn't hurt using it.

We had a hiking thing too with a rigid frame that we used when we went hiking, though I think that was at a slightly older age.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Mon Sep 5, 14:59 2016

^That's funny because the bjorn carrier is the one I was given that I didn't like. I think that just re-emphasizes that the same thing isn't going to work the same for everyone.