tactile stuff

Moderator: melsbells

melsbells

tactile stuff

Post by melsbells » Tue Jan 3, 12:50 2017

While house sitting for my sister-in-law, my kid and I got to play with some SAND, or maybe it's sånd, but it's definitely Swedish. And maybe I got opportunities to play on my own after the kid went to bed. It reminded me of brown sugar (or what's called brown sugar in the U.S., it's called something like syrup sugar here). The same thing (except with their own independently developed polymer) is available in the US called Kinetic Sand.

While finding out what it was, I found Magic Sand, which is hydrophobic, and cloud dough and moon sand which are sometimes used interchangeably, but not the same thing. Then I saw Living Sands. I know about oobleck, which I haven't played with, but want to, and I've made some other kind of goop at a science center when I was a kid, but don't remember how. I recently made playdough for my kid. I had my parents bring cream of tartar with them when they visited last because I couldn't figure out where to get it.

My kid has only tried this sånd and homemade playdough. If you want to count it, also finger paint, snow, garden dirt, and sand on a beach. I want all of these things to feel how they're different and since I have a kid, I can pretend they aren't just for me.

What kind of tactile stuff have you and the kids in your life tried?

rowan

Re: tactile stuff

Post by rowan » Tue Jan 3, 13:46 2017

Slime: https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/educ ... slime.html

Oobleck is super easy to make too.

I think we made a sticky goo once, kind of like those throw-and-stick toys. Also silly putty!
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Tue Jan 3, 15:30 2017

Playdough is pretty ubiquitous, as is batter. Batter has the bonus of turning into delicious breakfast. In the food-as-play category, jello and hardening frosting also count for me.

I remember oobleck-like mixtures. Gak was a 1990s thing I mainly used to make fart noises. Silly putty was fun to manipulate into bubbles. What else? Oh, wax!

Neko

Post by Neko » Wed Jan 4, 0:14 2017

All the pliable/crafty stuff I can think of has been mentioned. ETA: I lied. Bread dough!

But if generally tactile surfaces also apply, mermaid sequin pillows are comforting. It was one of my impulse buys at a department store about a month ago. I couldn't stop petting the display. The sequined side seemed like it wouldn't be comfortable to rest on but it hasn't been an issue. My stepdad really likes them so I got him one for giftmas and he said it helps distract him when chronic pain keeps him awake at night. https://www.etsy.com/listing/470423508/ ... _active_40

I haven't field tested them on my nieces and nephews yet. That could be fun.
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth: