Postpartum issues: things that can go wrong after

Moderator: melsbells

rowan

Postpartum issues: things that can go wrong after

Post by rowan » Fri Aug 4, 9:31 2017

Hey all, I found this article about severe issues that can go wrong and a lot of suggestions for how to prepare and deal with them from women who went through them. They are unlikely but they happen, and maternal mortality in the U.S. is terrible. Anyway I read the whole thing, even though it's not gonna be me, and I think it's pretty useful. I learned about a bunch of conditions I never knew about.

CW: some pretty tough near-death stories in it due to doctors not listening.

http://www.npr.org/2017/08/03/541191480 ... lmost-died
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Bork

Re: Postpartum issues: things that can go wrong after

Post by Bork » Fri Aug 4, 14:09 2017

GAH. This article made me so angry. The emphasis shouldn't be on women to be more aware of things like this. We're being failed by the medical community as a whole, and that needs to be addressed. It was absolutely enraging to read about the stories where there was something so clearly wrong with these women... and then they were just sent home with some aspirin. When their BP was off the fucking charts. Or when women tried to tell their doctors and nurses that something felt wrong, and their fears were completely brushed aside and attributed to hormones and fatigue. Massively fucked up. I could go on for a while, but I don't want to further derail things, but this is a major reason I never want to be pregnant or have a kid.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

rowan

Post by rowan » Fri Aug 4, 19:49 2017

Pretty much I totally agree with all that. I do think women need to be informed about things to look for better than we are, though, because it's super easy to just attribute it *yourself* to hormones and fatigue. Like my sis had PPD and she didn't realize until a couple YEARS later because no one told her it was a thing. Not educating us on these things is still a major failing on the medical community.

Taurwen

Post by Taurwen » Sat Aug 5, 10:17 2017

I think there should also be more education towards other family members. I'm not in the US so I don't know what they are like but both the new born class and the breastfeeding class we took featured heavily on giving the partners important information because the pregnant party are a) less likely to remember what was taught in the last trimester, but they are also more likely to be really out of it during the first month of a baby's life.

One thing that was talked about more towards the pregnant partners was the new studies discussing PPD that the partners may develop, normally around the baby's first birthday. Basically when you're sick it's hard to tell if you are sick or if it's normal, so having that second pair of eyes is always important.

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Tue Aug 8, 13:28 2017

I feel so defeated when someone's pain isn't taken seriously.

There are so many things I keep learning about pregnancy and delivery that I wish I had in my knowledge set earlier. Not life threatening, I just learned about diastasis recti or separation of the abdominal muscles, also thanks to NPR. When I've expressed concern about it in the past, I was told that only happens to people who give birth via cesarean section I've been doing core exercises that I learned in knee rehab, and turns out those make the gap and the pain that comes with it worse.

rowan

Post by rowan » Wed Aug 9, 11:24 2017

ugh that totes doesn't just happen during c-section. I had a friend who found out when she was having (other) surgery years later and they stitched her up since "they were in there anyway". Honestly I think I also have it but it doesn't cause problems *most* of the time (sometimes stabby pain but no one takes it seriously so idk).