kids' mail subscriptions

Moderator: melsbells

melsbells

kids' mail subscriptions

Post by melsbells » Sun Nov 11, 6:47 2018

Does anyone get a box or magazine subscription for their kid? Any you would recommend?

My mom had the idea of giving my kid Little Passports but they don't ship to Finland. Kiwico has a similar line that will come here, but there's still the concern about how well they're teaching about different cultures, how much does it other and ignore colonialism? Does it cross the line from appreciating world cultures into consuming cultures for entertainment?

I think the concept is good. My kid would really enjoy some kind of activity subscription and I thank the world based ones would make my mom feel more connected to her overseas grandchild, but maybe science or art based is safer.

Edited to fix links.

Sonic#

Re: kids' mail subscriptions

Post by Sonic# » Tue Nov 20, 12:35 2018

We may sign up for Dolly Parton's Imagination Library, which mails a book a month to kids until they reach kindergarten. I know we've also floated the idea of getting a magazine subscription, but we really don't know what to get.

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Fri Nov 30, 13:10 2018

I hadn't heard of that before. The books chosen for this past year look like they have decent representation, which I wasn't expecting at all.

antfancier

Post by antfancier » Fri Nov 30, 15:59 2018

My kid has been getting the Highlights Hello magazine subscription for a couple of years. He seems to really like the books and I’ve been happy with them. He’s probably ready to move on to the older age group though, and I don’t know much about them.

The Little Feminist concept looks great, but I haven’t seen what the subscription entails in real life:
https://littlefeminist.com/?v=f24485ae434a

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Wed Dec 5, 11:44 2018

The books on Little Feminist look really great, lots of books featuring actual people instead of anthropomorphic animals.

I remember having a Highlights magazine once or twice as a kid, but I don't remember being interested in it or a connection to books.

rowan

Post by rowan » Wed Dec 12, 19:56 2018

I don't know that specific Kiwico line, they only had two lines when I looked at them last. We did their Tinker Crate for a couple years and enjoyed them but after a while we just didn't get to them and we still have a shelf full of unopened boxes.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!