F* THE POLICE!

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

What do you think of peaceful protests turned violent?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 15, 12:23 2003

police start it
44%
the protesters start it
11%
unless you were there as an unbiased outsider, you'll never know
44%

Total votes: 9

veggarina

F* THE POLICE!

Post by veggarina » Wed Mar 5, 12:23 2003

I was on tv today! The Student Walk-out going on today was filmed by some random reporter and I was on tv! I'm so proud I was part of history. Now there is a little piece of film that shows I was opposed to mass killing.....but the police were shite. they dragged us away from 10 downing st. and barricaded us in. They stood outside smiling. bastads. so we cussed them and argued with them and chanted. I think we made our point, but it's sad that no-one listens to teenagers any more.

Green Giant Reincarnate

Post by Green Giant Reincarnate » Wed Mar 5, 13:28 2003

I like playing devils advocate.
Batman: "Nobody wants war."
Robin: "Gee, Batman. Belgravia's such a small country. We'd beat them in a few hours."
Batman: "Yes, and then we'd have to support them for years."

A conclusion is the part where you got tired of thinking.

http://www.feministing.org/

FernGully

Post by FernGully » Wed Mar 5, 14:26 2003

Too generalized a question I think. Every protest has particular complications that change the outcome. So I really couldn't tell you what I think
:fern:

Support Ferno-Raavynism! Down with oppressive Draakism!

arden

Post by arden » Wed Mar 5, 14:33 2003

Well, living in the DC area, and hearing about all the protests that we have here, I can tell you they don't always start out peaceful. And no, the police don't "start it." I have a friend on the DC force, and so I get to hear stories of all kinds dealing with protests and even just nightly duty.

A few months ago, there was a protest here about the environment, I think. They were burning tires. Um, hello? If you're for being kind to the environment, WHY ARE YOU BURNING TIRES? They also tend to take up much of the roads that block people from getting to work. People who have nothing to do with the issues being protested. How is that peaceful? That's taking money away from people for no good reason.

Now, I do think that people have the right to let their sides be heard, but for pete's sake, do it in a smart, fair way. Don't block my way to work if my job has nothing to do with your protest. Don't hurt the environment to get attention for your cause.

zoe.

Post by zoe. » Wed Mar 5, 18:29 2003

also - you cant make a generalization about all police being "assholes."
i'm not all that cool. but i hope i will be someday.

A.K.A. Z

Post by A.K.A. Z » Wed Mar 5, 23:03 2003

zoe. wrote:also - you cant make a generalization about all police being "assholes."
Well, can you make the generalization that they're all pigs? Cause I like that one. :D
"The strategic adversary is fascism... the fascism in us all, in our heads and in our everyday behavior, the fascism that causes us to love power, to desire the very thing that dominates and exploits us." Foucault

ArtificialAmore

Post by ArtificialAmore » Wed Mar 5, 23:15 2003

The police start it!!! I mean come on, their form of "non-violent crowd control" are water cannons that leave bruises the size of watermelons and have even broken ribs! This is not non-violent.. THE POLICE START IT!! It's why I hate cops, sawarah and I both have "cop sense" which is fun because we both speed. :D *police=evil*
This is what it must feel like to walk in full sunlight, my darkness revealed, my shadow self embraced. - Dexter

greenmunkey

Post by greenmunkey » Thu Mar 6, 2:17 2003

there are still police being charged for abuse during the WTO protests, i was in class and all day we watched it form when it was just the turtle people dancing, till police set up barricades and started hurling tear gas and rubber bullets, i actually felt really good inside when i saw them ransack a starbucks, i just dont get why the police would gang up and beat the shit out whoever they were near (someone not even a protester was driving by to get to work, the police had them roll the window down and sprayed pepper spray into the car)

tanooki

Post by tanooki » Thu Mar 6, 2:34 2003

A.K.A. Z wrote:
zoe. wrote:also - you cant make a generalization about all police being "assholes."
Well, can you make the generalization that they're all pigs? Cause I like that one. :D
damn i was going to say that
who let the dogs out... woof woof woof woof :puppy:

noparenthesis

Post by noparenthesis » Thu Mar 6, 6:41 2003

PIGS. i cannot stand police officers. hiding behind their guns and their badges... honestly, who wants to spend their life making a living from terrorizing people? i've had too many run-ins with cops at protests and on the road and in school and in public places to think highly of them whatsoever.
i like :pineapple:

A.K.A. Z

Post by A.K.A. Z » Thu Mar 6, 7:58 2003

*shrugs* They're people like you and I. I don't judge people before I know them, and until a cop decides to be a fucker to me, I don't care one way or the other. I've met many cops who I didn't mind, I've met a few I respected, and a whole bunch I would like to kick in the face. But that's true for me with all people.
Their job is to watch criminals, and they watched me because I was a criminal, I understood that.

Personally I think ya'll are a bunch of ungrateful asses, because I know and you all know damn fucking well that the minute somebody's creeping in your backyard, or somebody's punching you in the face, or they've got a gun pressed against your back while they're searching your pockets, you want and need the cops. So quit your hypocritical bullshit.
"The strategic adversary is fascism... the fascism in us all, in our heads and in our everyday behavior, the fascism that causes us to love power, to desire the very thing that dominates and exploits us." Foucault

arden

Post by arden » Thu Mar 6, 8:39 2003

Not to mention all the crap that police officers have to put up with. My friend was beat up by a girl, and he could do nothing about it. It's like the people who are arrested can do whatever they want to cops, but if a cop fights back they're going to get sued for excessive force. Yes, I know..I know..Rodney King. But, it's because of him that there are stricter laws for the police now. I also know there are cops that will still resort to violence. Heck, I watched Cops and all those other police shows. I've seen how the people getting arrested behave. My friend needs a raise if you ask me.

MFS

Post by MFS » Thu Mar 6, 8:42 2003

Considering the number of police I personally know, I find the majority of this thread to be pathetic.

The WTO protests were outrageous - including the behaviour of a large number of the protesters.

When protests happen, lots of people gather together, including lots of stupid fuckers who think that mob-mentality means they can do whatever they want. This is not the way it is, though, and those stupid fuckers get their asses landed in jail... and that makes me laugh.
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie

A.K.A. Z

Post by A.K.A. Z » Thu Mar 6, 8:48 2003

Anyone else find it slightly ironic that it's the stoner who made a post defending the police? :lol: :D

sansspina

Post by sansspina » Thu Mar 6, 9:57 2003

Quick...somebody grab a history book, and turn to the index listing for "Kent State, Ohio"...nuff said?

That wasn't water cannons...that was the National Guard, complete w/real live guns and real ive ammunition that left 4 real dead college kids behind.

And who set the dogs on the offenders, marching and protesting til then w/violence? Why, the adults in charge, which were essentially, our own parents. Mazel tov...so your kids don't agree w/you? Have them killed by a bunch of uniformed goon squad members, right?

In those days, to open your mouth was to risk serious damage, and all w/society's firm approval. And the police were an effective weapon in keeping any and all sort of protest in hand. I cannot say that I approve of any group that lends itself to the oppression of vocal opposition.
sans...
~~"To be penitent is to be almost innocent"...Seneca
Do not start with me...you will not win.

veggarina

re:everyone

Post by veggarina » Thu Mar 6, 13:05 2003

sansspina wrote:Quick...somebody grab a history book, and turn to the index listing for "Kent State, Ohio"...nuff said?

That wasn't water cannons...that was the National Guard, complete w/real live guns and real ive ammunition that left 4 real dead college kids behind.

And who set the dogs on the offenders, marching and protesting til then w/violence? Why, the adults in charge, which were essentially, our own parents. Mazel tov...so your kids don't agree w/you? Have them killed by a bunch of uniformed goon squad members, right?

In those days, to open your mouth was to risk serious damage, and all w/society's firm approval. And the police were an effective weapon in keeping any and all sort of protest in hand. I cannot say that I approve of any group that lends itself to the oppression of vocal opposition.
exactly! they're completely oppressive! btw, i know it is unfair calling ALL police pigs, but it's basic knowledge that MOST of them give the force a worse name. it's hard to smile at policemen when they're punching you in the face.

It was a peaceful protest, and thank YOU very much mfs, you can't disregard protestors because of the "stupid fuckers" who try and mess it up. We don't approve of those people, but I would understand them better (HAD THEY BEEN THERE) after Wednesday.

Oh, and Arden? mostly the protestors fight back because the police are using force on them. I can't answer for America, which is where most of you seem to live, but in London we work for peace ! we don't fight! we're against george bush, so we're not going to act like him !

i would never be in the police force. you have no way of expressing your opinion any more, half the police officers holding us in were against war apparently. but they can't say it, they can't do anything, they're like robots. and don't start anyone, because i'm not getting into a long boring debate with anyone for expressing my opinion. if you have something interesting and original to say, say it. if not, whine to the wall.

MFS

Post by MFS » Thu Mar 6, 13:11 2003

When some of the WTO protests came to Cincinnati, the people involved thought it'd be a clever idea to just block traffic downtown and harass anyone on the streets/sidewalks.

I'm not saying that all protests are like that, but when there is a large group of people, you can guarantee that something will go wrong.

Both sides try to push the limits. And despite not wanting conflict, that's what you get.
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie

arden

Post by arden » Thu Mar 6, 13:22 2003

Veggarina, what I was saying about the protestors here in the Washington DC area is that they don't care who's way they get in to get their point accross. If they're blocking the road and I can't get to work, then I want the police to come and take care of them. That's insane, and unfair. If, however, they are being peaceful, such as marching in a picket line, then their fine. Unfortunatly, most of the protestors you here about here in DC are the ones in the road, the ones starting riots, etc. Oh, and they have nothing to do with George Bush, it's other things like the World Bank. I didn't bring him into this, and had no intention of it.

veggarina

re: mfs

Post by veggarina » Thu Mar 6, 13:40 2003

K. i understand ur point of view, my friend feels like that too. the thing is, tony blair has pushed us to drastic points. we are STILL being non-violent, but on weds we sat in the middle of the road and blocked traffic. we did this to generate more awareness. no-one seems to listen to a couple of teenagers who sit on the side of the road waving a banner. it was specifically designed for and by teens, to show young people care, but half the people who walked out of school just went home. there were only about 250 of us. we had to make ourselves heard. so we temporarily inconvenienced people! don't you think it would more than inconvenience us if we are even more of a target for bombing after iraq is :bomb: most people don't care unless they themselves are put out.

arden

Post by arden » Thu Mar 6, 13:57 2003

You know, sitting in the middle of the road to block traffic just isn't safe. It could get you hurt, and it really pisses people off who need or want to get somewhere. Walking out is one way of showing your feelings. Try the fliers, banners, newsletters, etc. Blanket your town with them, people will read them. Even if they throw them away, they've looked at them, and they're not nearly as angry as if you got in their way say to pick up their child from school. As far as being a target after Iraq, think of the area I live in...I live at most 55 miles from Washington, DC. I've already lived through the terrorist strikes. I work 20 miles from the Pentagon. I think Tony Blair and George W. have noble ideas. Are they going about them in the right way? Maybe not. But, I also think that checking on Saddam is something that should have been done all along, not just now.

Now, back to the police. When my step-daughter is a little older, I want to introduce her to my cop friend, and have him show her his badge. I then want to tell her that if she is ever seperated from me or Daddy or when she's with Mommy, seperated from her, to find a police man (woman, whatever) because they are her friend and will help her. I've already told her that firemen are good, and they are her friend and will keep her from getting hurt. I think she understood. :)