Calling in

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

How are you about calling in?

I never call in
3%
I call in only if I really can't come in (too sick, death in the family, kid stuff)
52%
I call in if I'm not feeling well or I have something I want to do more
30%
I call in when I don't feel like working
6%
I have been fired for calling in too much
3%
I pretty much never show up to work
No votes
I only call in if I can get someone to cover for me
6%

Total votes: 33

letthemimejive

Re: Calling in

Post by letthemimejive » Tue Dec 23, 11:41 2008

at my previous jobs, i've known all my coworkers very well, so we'd just switch around shifts among eachother- if someone was busy on a wednesday, they'd trade it for someone's thursday shift, etc.

"calling in" with the military though is a beast in itself though, and most of the time if you're sick it's not even worth going and sitting at sick call for hours just to be handed some motrin and an SIQ chit.

DruidX

Post by DruidX » Tue Dec 23, 12:43 2008

I've only ever called in sick because there was something I needed to do more [most of the time I'm genuinely feeling like crap] and that was because I had to see a flat at short notice and I didn't think my boss world let me go.

Tookie

Post by Tookie » Tue Dec 23, 13:32 2008

I've left work once because I felt really ill (dizzy, couldn't stand up for more than 30 seconds at a time without almost blacking out), but otherwise, I would call in if I were truly sick, but that's it.
The personal is the political.
helium wrote:Every vagina is different, right? A unique and original vag-snowflake?

lillerina

Post by lillerina » Tue Dec 23, 17:53 2008

Only if actually too sick to work. A death in the family would have to be a parent or sibling, immediate family. Although last year my politics tutor let me out of a class test the day after a good friend died, although I had planned to do the test but then couldn't stop crying.
If I bang my head against a brick wall five times and get five lumps, why am I surprised when I bang it a sixth time and get a sixth lump?

"Isn't it funny that the only time your race or gender is questioned is when you're not a white man?" - Wanda Sykes

helium

Post by helium » Tue Dec 23, 20:47 2008

I call in if I'm really sick or there's something else I really need to get done. I work somewhere really laid back and I'm pretty much just extra help, so if I need to take a few days off to study for finals or if I have a migraine and want to stay home they're really cool about it.
Nameless bodies, in unremembered rooms
Know how a man becomes a beast when the wolfbane blooms

:spork: :bomb: BMMhuhwha?

Mathmo

Post by Mathmo » Wed Dec 24, 14:02 2008

I would call in for a death in the family, if I was really really really ill as in "actually genuinely can't get off the sofa because the world spins when I stand up" sort of ill, or similar reasons. The only time I've missed days from work was when my Grandma died, and we flew back to New Zealand for the funeral.

Neko

Post by Neko » Thu Dec 25, 10:20 2008

I've called in for just being too tired. One of my depression meds, even in low doses, would knock me out for a whole day. I'd wake up every now and then but only because I had serious cotton-mouth and felt like I was starving. Eventually, I stopped taking my meds altogether... all they did for me anymore was heighten my suicidal impulses at the time.

Now that I'm at UPS, I really can't call in sick. They don't give you any sick time for the first year. But people get sent home a lot and it doesn't count against you. They send people home when volume is low or they're "over-staffed" by a couple people. So now when I'm sick, I just go in to work anyway since there's a good chance that I can be sent home if I talk to my supervisor about it.
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth:

spacefem

Post by spacefem » Thu Dec 25, 13:28 2008

i work, unless i'm too sick to physically sit in a chair and operate a computer, which is rare. it has been known to happen a couple times a year though.

everything else is considered general personal/vacation time. when those close to you are near death, you should let your manager/coworkers know so you can make arrangements to have someone fill your spot. if someone dies suddenly, it's still probably a good idea to wrap up the afternoon at least, the funeral isn't going to be within the hour. but this hasn't happened to me so i might not be the judge of it.

really, in a good team environment, you should always have notes laid out and knowledge shared well enough that you can be absent at any time.

FernGully

Post by FernGully » Thu Dec 25, 21:40 2008

I have been sent home a few times for being sick yet showing up, which is not exactly an honourable thing to do. At some point when you're a cook, you have to say to yourself, "if a customer actually sees me today, they will never eat here again" and just go home. Though when I worked at Wal Mart, and I hated it a lot, I think I just didn't show up because they were horrible.
Yea, it's Wal Mart's fault, not mine.
:fern:

Support Ferno-Raavynism! Down with oppressive Draakism!

Bork

Post by Bork » Fri Dec 26, 15:12 2008

I've only called in when I wasn't sick once... and I called in the night after I decided to give them my two-weeks notice, so I didn't care at all about the job.

I had to call in to work on Monday and Tuesday because I couldn't get back to Washington due to weather. One of my jobs was closed, though, so I didn't really have to call in to that one.

I'm generally one of those people who will be at work no matter what unless I'm physically unable to get there.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Pyro Chick

Post by Pyro Chick » Sun Dec 28, 1:23 2008

I don't work now, but when I did I called in a few times. At the beginning of my job, I was too scared to call in and I'd never do it. I worked with a fever of 104 once. I was literally crying while closing registers and counting the safe I was so sick.
After that experience, I vowed to never work again while feeling the least bit ill.
I always call in for headaches. I get horrible ones. Once I have a headache, if i don't lie down, drink water, sleep, and take medicine immediately, I will end up vomiting and passing out. Needless to say I don't go to work or class if I have one.
:fire: :pineapple:

rowan

Post by rowan » Mon Dec 29, 18:03 2008

spacefem wrote: if someone dies suddenly, it's still probably a good idea to wrap up the afternoon at least, the funeral isn't going to be within the hour. but this hasn't happened to me so i might not be the judge of it.
If it's someone you were close to, you're going to be useless anyway, so you might as well go. And in other circumstances, well, sometimes you have to be there for the other people. When my young cousin died in an accident, we left right away - we were the closest family members and it was still a 4 hour drive. It was heart wrenching to be there, to be the only support aside from the hospital chaplain (who did a wonderful job, btw, that has got to be the hardest job ever), even though I didn't know my cousin very well. But I knew his family. It was...hard. It still is hard.

otherwise i don't call in sick, unless i really can't function. i'll drag my sorry ass in front of the class even if I can barely speak. because there's no one else to do it, if I can't.
Last edited by rowan on Mon Jan 5, 12:39 2009, edited 1 time in total.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

katrinioso

Post by katrinioso » Sat Jan 3, 17:10 2009

I've only called in sick once to my current job and that was because I had the worst hangover in my life (I told them I had food poisoning... which wasn't a complete lie, alcohol and Denny's really don't mix well). It was easy to get people to cover shifts at my old job, but since only like 10 people work at this place, if someone doesn't show up, then it makes life a real bitch for everyone else.

newlydiscovered

Post by newlydiscovered » Sat Jan 3, 22:03 2009

I call in if I'm actually sick (which is actually fairly regularly as I don't look after myself much), and if I'm too upset about something, and every now and then if there's something I really would prefer to be doing. Although at my last job there was almost always too many staff on and we were all pretty close (my manager was about my age and still a friend) so if I didnt want to come in I could just call and go "do you really need me today?", and mostly she'd say I could have the day off.
:pirateflag: Daughter of the fiercest pirate captain in high space, and pirate wench of the SNSDW
Rainbow Dolphins wrote:Newly is Eccentrica Gallumbits, the triple-appled whore of Eroticon 6!