Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

Locked
strangerelation

Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2:42 2013

Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by strangerelation » Wed Jun 26, 15:22 2013

i'd like to thank spacefem for giving me permission to post this question. sometimes i think about this question "is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?" and search on the net to find any facts to the contrary. you'd think that in this day and age when most of the remote areas of this planet are connected and millions of people participate, you'd find atleast one culture in which appreciating beauty of males by women/girls is the norm. but no. you can google yourself "male beauty quotes" and see how many come up by women/girls(zero), do the same by switching the gender you'd get hundreds on popular quote sites. women/girls rant how society pressures them to be beautiful but if they are so tourble by it why don't they give up on it and freely appreciate male beatuy? you'd see so many songs written by male lyricists as well as female lyricisits with female beauty as their subject but hardly anything is written by female for male beauty. poetries, etc. strange thing even the magazines c atering to females don't have anything to do with male beuaty wehre as male magazines are only about female beatuy. isn't this descrimination and sexims? all women lament about how damaging it is and but they never think about what is their for appreciationg of male beauty.

User avatar
rowan
member
member
Posts: 9567
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 11:01 2004
Location: US

Re: Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by rowan » Wed Jun 26, 22:18 2013

Where's the poll?

Don't forget to include the 'pants' option.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

strangerelation

Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2:42 2013

Re: Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by strangerelation » Thu Jun 27, 13:52 2013

rowan wrote:Where's the poll?

Don't forget to include the 'pants' option.
what is 'pants'? i don't nkow how to add a poll.

User avatar
Sinclair

Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 10:09 2013

Re: Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by Sinclair » Fri Jun 28, 20:18 2013

Oh I appreciate male beauty. In my pants. *badum tss* Kidding aside, don't see a poll anywhere around here.

'Beautiful man' has almost twice as many hits on google than 'beautiful woman' though, interestingly enough.

User avatar
rowan
member
member
Posts: 9567
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 11:01 2004
Location: US

Re: Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by rowan » Fri Jun 28, 20:45 2013

Sorry I thought this was posted in polls to begin with.
strangerelation wrote:what is 'pants'?
Pants are these things you wear over your underwear. Alternately, they can be what you wear under your trousers.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

User avatar
Sonic#
member
member
Posts: 5363
Joined: Sat Nov 7, 9:37 2009
Location: Georgia, US

Re: Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by Sonic# » Fri Jun 28, 22:39 2013

^ Alternatively they make good hats, if you like ventilation or ear holes.

To answer the question briefly, I think male beauty is appreciated very much, in that people frequently see beauty in men, and there are tropes of men's beauty (Adonis, for example, or Fabio, or Richard Gere, or...).

On the other hand, I do think that there's a particularly intense focus on women's beauty that, among its effects, has dissociated masculinity and beauty somewhat. I don't think it's as simple as people saying "stop" and then not doing that.

User avatar
DruidX
member
member
Posts: 7417
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 11:21 2003
Location: Land of Hope and Glory
Contact:

Re: Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by DruidX » Sat Jun 29, 2:51 2013

I think it depends on what you mean by 'beauty'. I say this because there is an entire subculture of manga dedicated to 'pretty boys', and I can think of at least half a dozen actors who fit into the yaoi stereotype. So, if that's the kind of beauty you mean, I for one am very appreciative of pretty boys ;)

User avatar
deanimal
member
member
Posts: 2540
Joined: Sat Jan 4, 21:30 2003
Location: texASS

Re: Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by deanimal » Sat Jun 29, 7:01 2013

For the purposes of this, I am talking about straight women. I myself am bisexual, so while I like girls, I cannot claim to know how lesbians and other women who are not attracted to men feel.

I get what you're saying, and you're right that--as Sonic so eloquently put it--masculinity and beauty are dissociated. But it seems like you're implying this is somehow women's fault? With that I heartily disagree. It is due to the fact that the male gaze is the gaze we all, including most women, have taken on and the one that permeates culture. I think media like television, magazines, and the internet have heightened this fact, but it (both the male gaze and the disassociation of masculinity and beauty) predates these media as well.

Personally, I find great beauty in a variety of types of men and masculinity. (Although it took me a while to fully get here!) More straight women would openly feel this way if our desires and needs were as recognized and represented in culture as men's are. It is happening more and more often, albeit very slowly. It seems that when male beauty is displayed, it is often of the super muscular, Adonis-y, Magic Mike-y variety. Certainly many women like that, and there are aspects of it that appeal to me personally, but it's certainly not the only "type" of man women can be lustfully attracted to.

In that vein, I really like this article/rant (that link is fine, but the rest of the blog is NSFW). What women actually find sexy and what the patriarchy thinks we find sexy are often two different things. And often, women internalize it and have bad sex and think they don't have a lot of sexual desire because no one, including themselves, is catering to what they want.

A boyfriend once told me he's never felt personally sexy, never felt like an object of desire. He's the only man I've been with who has actually come out and said that, but it's an impression I've gotten from many others. I couldn't decide if I pitied him or envied him. I wouldn't wish constant objectification on anyone, but being desired can also be really fun! I am curious what it would be like to experience sex completely as an agent and not at all as an object or ornament (I mean object and ornament in the least negative way you can possibly wrap your mind around). All the sex I have had has been some mixture of the two. So much of the sexual experience for me is feeling like I am sexy. Because of my deeply ingrained experiences as a woman, I don't think it is possible for it to be any other way.

This kind of got away from me, but this is a topic I really love talking about.

EDIT. Additionally. (NSFW-ish) Is that Joseph Gordon Levitt? IS IT?! O.O
helium wrote:I went outside and suddenly there was no more gravity and my vagina could fly.
Sonic# wrote:Then the singularity happens. Then we meet God and fly into the sun. Then we save the whales.

User avatar
jubalsquirrelly

Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 17:23 2013

Re: Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by jubalsquirrelly » Sat Jun 29, 10:00 2013

I remember when my first girlfrined said she "wanted" me. (making subtle sexy hot hot gesture at the same time)


I liked the idea of someone seeking me out.

Sometimes I'd overhear girls conversation that would complement my body and would get a nice ego boost.

I sometimes think that some girls I've met only go out with you because of a sense of duty or pity and then eventually get attached to you.

It feels good to know that women see you as something to be sought after. :roll:

strangerelation

Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2:42 2013

Re: Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by strangerelation » Tue Jul 2, 15:01 2013

rowan wrote:Sorry I thought this was posted in polls to begin with.
strangerelation wrote:what is 'pants'?
Pants are these things you wear over your underwear. Alternately, they can be what you wear under your trousers.
so? i know that meaning of pants. why did you ask me to include pants? are you a woman or a man?

strangerelation

Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2:42 2013

Re: Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by strangerelation » Tue Jul 2, 15:03 2013

DruidX wrote:I think it depends on what you mean by 'beauty'. I say this because there is an entire subculture of manga dedicated to 'pretty boys', and I can think of at least half a dozen actors who fit into the yaoi stereotype. So, if that's the kind of beauty you mean, I for one am very appreciative of pretty boys ;)
are you a girl or man? wht is yaoi?

strangerelation

Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2:42 2013

Re: Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by strangerelation » Tue Jul 2, 15:39 2013

deanimal wrote: I get what you're saying, and you're right that--as Sonic so eloquently put it--masculinity and beauty are dissociated. But it seems like you're implying this is somehow women's fault? With that I heartily disagree.(i disagree) It is due to the fact that the male gaze is the gaze we all, including most women, have taken on and the one that permeates culture. I think media like television, magazines, and the internet have heightened this fact, but it (both the male gaze and the disassociation of masculinity and beauty) predates these media as well. (i think women are largely responcible for it. nowadays women have cameras on their cell phones but we don't see titliating content genereted by them of boys and shared on the interwebs like boys do, let's agree to this every human wants to be desired and when women found out about male gaze they only utilized it to satsify their narcisstic appetite, why didn't they start representing their female gaze when they got the opputunity and freedom? women were oppressed before televsion and internet came but what about after the 70s when they came? even now they don't do it? they talk how painfuil it is to live up to society standards of beauty of women but they never give up on being beautiful and start creating content with male beauty for females)

Personally, I find great beauty in a variety of types of men and masculinity. (Although it took me a while to fully get here!) More straight women would openly feel this way if our desires and needs were as recognized and represented in culture as men's are. It is happening more and more often, albeit very slowly. It seems that when male beauty is displayed, it is often of the super muscular, Adonis-y, Magic Mike-y variety. Certainly many women like that, and there are aspects of it that appeal to me personally, but it's certainly not the only "type" of man women can be lustfully attracted to. (interesting, popular glam magazines are entirely run by women, why aren't they catering to women's needs? what type of man would a women be lustfully attracted to?)

In that vein, I really like this article/rant (that link is fine, but the rest of the blog is NSFW). What women actually find sexy and what the patriarchy thinks we find sexy are often two different things. And often, women internalize it and have bad sex and think they don't have a lot of sexual desire because no one, including themselves, is catering to what they want. (this is waht i suspected all always, thanks for the link. why aren't women doing it catering to themselves?)

A boyfriend once told me he's never felt personally sexy, never felt like an object of desire. He's the only man I've been with who has actually come out and said that, but it's an impression I've gotten from many others. I couldn't decide if I pitied him or envied him. I wouldn't wish constant objectification on anyone, but being desired can also be really fun! I am curious what it would be like to experience sex completely as an agent and not at all as an object or ornament (I mean object and ornament in the least negative way you can possibly wrap your mind around). All the sex I have had has been some mixture of the two. So much of the sexual experience for me is feeling like I am sexy. Because of my deeply ingrained experiences as a woman, I don't think it is possible for it to be any other way. (can you tell me is this a natural part of being a women or is it something society artificially conditions into a women and girls? can a girl women just feel and enjoy being giver and doer and not the receiver of actions or agent without hurting the other person)

This kind of got away from me, but this is a topic I really love talking about. (me too maybe because of my age)

EDIT. Additionally. (NSFW-ish) Is that Joseph Gordon Levitt? IS IT?! O.O
thanks for your comment. it is informative and helpful i hop you'll take part in this discussion for as long as it lasts.

User avatar
rowan
member
member
Posts: 9567
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 11:01 2004
Location: US

Re: Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by rowan » Tue Jul 2, 19:55 2013

strangerelation wrote:i know that meaning of pants.
Then why did you ask what they were?
why did you ask me to include pants?
Because I thought this was in polls.
are you a woman or a man?
Yes, I am a woman or a man.

This one was directed toward Dru, but:
wh[a]t is yaoi?
Yaoi
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

User avatar
Sonic#
member
member
Posts: 5363
Joined: Sat Nov 7, 9:37 2009
Location: Georgia, US

Re: Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by Sonic# » Tue Jul 2, 20:10 2013

^ It was originally in polls. Then it got moved, presumably because it was obviously not a poll.

User avatar
DruidX
member
member
Posts: 7417
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 11:21 2003
Location: Land of Hope and Glory
Contact:

Re: Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by DruidX » Wed Jul 3, 4:23 2013

rowan wrote:
strangerelation wrote:are you a woman or a man?
Yes, I am a woman or a man.
*giggles at Rowan*
I would be a fem, if it matters.

strangerelation

Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2:42 2013

Re: Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by strangerelation » Thu Jul 4, 7:14 2013

rowan wrote: This one was directed toward Dru, but:
wh[a]t is yaoi?
Yaoi
is yaoi homosexual? y? don't women like solo male?

User avatar
Sonic#
member
member
Posts: 5363
Joined: Sat Nov 7, 9:37 2009
Location: Georgia, US

Re: Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by Sonic# » Thu Jul 4, 8:11 2013

is yaoi homosexual? y? don't women like solo male?
Many times it is, but it need not be, like in homoromantic but nonsexual engagements.

For reasons.

Image
There's no speaking for all women, but I think Solo's pretty chill.

strangerelation

Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2:42 2013

Re: Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by strangerelation » Fri Jul 5, 13:47 2013

Sonic# wrote:
is yaoi homosexual? y? don't women like solo male?
Many times it is, but it need not be, like in homoromantic but nonsexual engagements.

For reasons.

Image
There's no speaking for all women, but I think Solo's pretty chill.
thanks for your earlier comment in this thread. i don't understand homoromantic. i didn't mean han solo, i meant only 1.

strangerelation

Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2:42 2013

Re: Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by strangerelation » Fri Jul 5, 16:36 2013

rowan wrote: Because I thought this was in polls.
why did you ask me to include it?

User avatar
great girl wonder
member
member
Posts: 1435
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 17:56 2005
Location: Bay Area
Contact:

Re: Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by great girl wonder » Sat Jul 6, 1:07 2013

Pants are something of an inside joke around spacefem.

I suggest taking your time writing posts using complete sentences and whole words. It's easier to take someone seriously when their thoughts are conveyed in a clear manner.

Oh Han Solo, pick me up at 8. I'll be done lusting after my twin by then.
It is a far better thing to love than to be loved; to adore than be adored. -David Turrill, An Apology for Autumn
monk wrote:so what you're saying is that great girl wonder beat the pants off you?

NewbieNuker

Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 15:42 2013

Re: Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by NewbieNuker » Mon Jul 29, 21:16 2013

Aren't men usually described as handsome not beautiful?

strangerelation

Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2:42 2013

Re: Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by strangerelation » Sat Aug 17, 15:57 2013

NewbieNuker wrote:Aren't men usually described as handsome not beautiful?
that is where the problems starts. why aren't men described as beautiful? why don't women/girls use this word to describe men/boys?

User avatar
cwbyrvr
member
member
Posts: 5445
Joined: Mon Nov 3, 13:32 2003
Location: A Box of Fermented Grape Juice.

Re: Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by cwbyrvr » Sat Aug 17, 19:10 2013

strangerelation wrote:
NewbieNuker wrote:Aren't men usually described as handsome not beautiful?
that is where the problems starts. why aren't men described as beautiful? why don't women/girls use this word to describe men/boys?
Because most men don't like that because it's perceived as too feminine. I tried with my ex once, he was offended which was not my intent. Also this thread is dead and this the second time it's been necromanced.
spacefem wrote:incidently, hearing "i love you" doesn't count if you're naked. it's just too easy to love a naked person.
Rainbow Dolphins wrote:My armpits are the only area of my body that almost always stays clean-shaven, because if I let it go I feel like a 15-year-old boy trying to grow a beard. In my armpits.

strangerelation

Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2:42 2013

Re: Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by strangerelation » Sat Aug 17, 19:24 2013

cwbyrvr wrote:
strangerelation wrote:
NewbieNuker wrote:Aren't men usually described as handsome not beautiful?
that is where the problems starts. why aren't men described as beautiful? why don't women/girls use this word to describe men/boys?
Because most men don't like that because it's perceived as too feminine. I tried with my ex once, he was offended which was not my intent. Also this thread is dead and this the second time it's been necromanced.
ur ex must be stupid. most men and boys are intelligent enough to understand it isn't feminine. when was this thread? it has on the first page of 'random weirdos'.

User avatar
monk
member
member
Posts: 7676
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 23:46 2003
Contact:

Re: Is male beauty not appreciated by women/girls?

Post by monk » Sun Aug 18, 8:05 2013

thread dead & now locked
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
Sonic# wrote:If these opinions don't matter to you at all, then you are unfit for conversation

Locked