blog recommendations?

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

kelsa

blog recommendations?

Post by kelsa » Mon Aug 19, 20:16 2013

hi! so i've gotten into home canning and food preservation lately. YUMMM!

I run into a problem, however, in finding blogs by people who are interested in the same things who aren't BATSHIT INSANE FUNDAMENTALIST BIRTH CONTROL KILLS BABIES FLOURIDE KILLS US ALL DON'T BRUSH YOUR TEETH FUNGUS IS HEALTHY PLAQUE VACCINATIONS KILL 9 OUT OF 10 BABIES

bullshit.

Does anyone have any eco hippie crunchy granola blogs they read that won't make me want to gouge my eyes out at pseudoscience?

thanks!
I could paint you in the dark
cause I've studied you with hunger
like a work of art

rowan

Re: blog recommendations?

Post by rowan » Mon Aug 19, 21:08 2013

*cringes at all those things*

I don't really read any blogs that deal with canning. I can things though? What are you looking for, recipes? tips? etc?
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

kelsa

Post by kelsa » Mon Aug 19, 21:27 2013

Hm, I guess I'm looking for tips and recipes and just general make your own from scratch sort of inspiration. I was on (love love thing.com) (broken so to prevent trackbacks) and had gone there through a google search. I was really like some of her recipes and stuff and then noticed the big GO JESUS PRAY FOR AMERICA posts and was just like, really? sigh.

What do you can, Rowan?! We just made dilly beans and spiced pickled peaches and are going to try blueberry jam this coming weekend! we have some really cool you pick farms for atrociously little cost (a dollar or less a pound) so canning and freezing makes a lot of sense here and is fun!
like a work of art

rowan

Post by rowan » Mon Aug 19, 21:36 2013

I've done jams and jellies, although we don't eat them much so I don't do them often. Salsas of a few varieties (both red and green) and spaghetti sauce. I don't really do soups, just because we don't eat them much, but I'm thinking about maybe doing some chili this year. I've got a ton of tomato puree, too, just straight up. Easy to make into whatever you want. I've been contemplating expanding my selection but I don't think we're going to get much tomato from the CSA this year, it's been too cool. Maybe after this week? The last few years I've bought a couple flats to make things with.

Freezing, I often will just wash things like blueberries or cherry tomatoes and just toss them in gallon freezer bags for later (we have a small deep freezer). I like doing that because if I make things like chilaquile then I have whole cherry tomatoes which is a nice texture. I also in a panic just sliced and froze a bunch of peaches last year (we got a fruitshare and I just didn't know what else to do with SO MANY peaches). I should make a pie with that... I also had a bunch of dried black beans from my CSA so I cooked 'em up in a crock pot and then froze the cooked ones so I can just pull them out when I need "a can's worth" for a recipe.

ETA: How about some of these?

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Tue Aug 20, 7:47 2013

Rowan sort of got to it before me, but I've recently fallen in love with The Kitchn. It's not exclusively about canning/freezing, but it has a lot of "how to" tips and recipes. I recently pickled some red onion from a recipe on there and it was delicious!

lovernotafighter

Post by lovernotafighter » Wed Aug 21, 18:32 2013

I would love to learn how to can soups and chili, so's I don't have to freeze them anymore. But I'm concerned that it's a hazard?
"I am in LOVE with myself." -My self

monk

Post by monk » Sun Aug 25, 0:22 2013

lovernotafighter wrote:I would love to learn how to can soups and chili, so's I don't have to freeze them anymore. But I'm concerned that it's a hazard?
I'm pretty sure it's safe as long as your sealing mechanism is good and you get the stuff to the right temperature(165F?) before you seal it. You don't have to worry about the temperature so much with fruit items because the sugar prevent/kill bacteria growth to a large degree
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
Sonic# wrote:If these opinions don't matter to you at all, then you are unfit for conversation

lovernotafighter

Post by lovernotafighter » Sun Aug 25, 21:13 2013

Guess I should find a book on it or something, then...
"I am in LOVE with myself." -My self

Tookie

Post by Tookie » Mon Aug 26, 12:11 2013

^ It depends... things like meat broth need a pressure canner, but there are recipes for tomato sauce that can be hot water canned, so I imagine some soups would be ok too. Make sure you find up to date canning specific recipes, though!

foodinjars.com is good for basics - jams, jellies, chutneys etc. She has a good recipe index.
The personal is the political.
helium wrote:Every vagina is different, right? A unique and original vag-snowflake?

kelsa

Post by kelsa » Tue Aug 27, 21:42 2013

I'm too scared of Scary Killing Germs to do anything but fruit, jam, chutney, etc. We freeze our tomato sauces and meat dishes instead. One day I shall venture into pressure canning!

Also thanks everyone for the links! I now read The Kitchn every day.
like a work of art

rowan

Post by rowan » Thu Aug 29, 7:24 2013

Pressure canning is surprisingly easy to get right, if you have the right tools. Ball (the jar company) puts out a nice book that's pretty cheap about it. I got my canning stuff at Fleet Farm, the store that has all the things you want (such as horse penicillin and ski pants that fit real people!) but can't find anywhere else. ;) Also the USDA has a big PDF about safe canning practices.

If you're doing tomatoes a lot of them are NOT the right acidity so you will need to add a little lemon juice or citric acid or vinegar.