Too rich...

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

rowan

Too rich...

Post by rowan » Tue Aug 20, 17:43 2013

I want to connect my laptop to the network here on campus. There is a thing called an "access list" which means I give IT my computer's information and then they do a thing and it doesn't ask me every time to log in. This would be nice for when I'm teaching class (for example).

For some reason, IT seems to think that connecting a laptop isn't a secure thing to do. I found this out when I submitted my request. However it's OK to let me connect as long as I log in? What kind of magic security system do they think they have? It's also OK to let tablets or phones connect this way... sure. I tooooootally see how this is SO SECURE.

But ok, here's the really rich part: the person who denied my request? Failed my class last semester.

OMG that is SO FUNNY. Seriously, I am laughing and I have to go teach in 20 min. LOL. I bet she got some satisfaction in denying that.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

monk

Re: Too rich...

Post by monk » Tue Aug 20, 21:09 2013

um, are you sure the student is not being a petty little fucktile? because if they let phones log in there really is no difference as you obviously know so I smell vindictive obstruction.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
Sonic# wrote:If these opinions don't matter to you at all, then you are unfit for conversation

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Tue Aug 20, 21:12 2013

Is there any way to file the request through someone else? With IT I've found it better if I find the one person who is reasonable about handling requests v. sticking to nonsensical administrative protocols.

I'm glad it's rich. If I ever had to encounter the last student I failed, there would be tons of awkwardness.

johnmichaelreed

Post by johnmichaelreed » Tue Aug 20, 21:33 2013

Check to make sure that other teachers and students are also not allowed automatic sign in or secure sign on with their laptops before you blame it on the it person. There are times when a laptop or pc is a much bigger threat than a smartphone for a number of reasons. For example, I could download a penetration testing (or special-purpose for penetration hacking) operating system like Kali Linux on to a laptop, but not on to an iPhone. Occasionally you get bored computer science students who want to show off their stuff by trying to take down a website or stealing everybody's usernames and passwords.

Not that you would try to do something like that; I'm just pointing out that (based on what I've seen) IT stuff can be a huge pain and you users in general should try and be more understanding.
Last edited by johnmichaelreed on Tue Aug 20, 21:38 2013, edited 1 time in total.

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Aug 20, 21:37 2013

This is specifically a faculty request page. One hopes faculty have more ethics than that. Plus, we all have dedicated computers on the LAN anyway. (And tablets are allowed; most of those have enough processing power to do some damage, and most of us have rooted our android ones) There really is no reason for it.

However, it is actually IT policy (I checked). I will say our IT is fairly incompetent* all around, so it doesn't surprise me.

*ETA: based on your edit I will add this: I have been at a number of institutions, and this is by far the worst IT group I've dealt with.

johnmichaelreed

Post by johnmichaelreed » Tue Aug 20, 21:45 2013

Comment rescinded on account that you are not one of those tech-clueless people who bug the IT people without understanding why their policies and procedures were made a certain way.
Last edited by johnmichaelreed on Wed Aug 21, 7:46 2013, edited 1 time in total.

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Aug 20, 21:59 2013

[redacted as well] :) Let's just go back to this being funny.